Toledoans ticketed for parking in their driveways - Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Toledoans ticketed for parking in their driveways
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:33 AM
Quote:

Residents upset over parking violations
Updated: Monday, 15 Jun 2009, 8:27 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 15 Jun 2009, 8:25 PM EDT

TOLEDO, Ohio - Although not outlined in the city charter, a city memo has allowed workers with the city of Toledo’s Division of Streets, Bridges and Harbor to issue parking citations to citizens.

It was learned over the weekend that Susan Frederick, acting commissioner with streets, bridges and harbor, fined several motorists for parking in their driveways on Holland-Sylvania near Dorr Street.

"I've lived here 43 years and last Thursday we had our 44th wedding anniversary," said Charles Robertson, who received a parking violation. "I got a present from the city. Isn't that nice?"

Residents' vehicles were parked on a turn-around portion of their driveway in front of their property, something they need to safely get out of their drive on Holland-Sylvania, which, at times, can be busy.

Megan Robson, spokesperson for Mayor Carty Finkbeiner, released a statement to the media Monday evening.

"The Commissioner of Streets, Bridges and Harbor responded by going to the location of the complaint to assess whether it was valid or not," Robson said in the statement. "She personally observed that it was a valid complaint. She observed several illegally parked vehicles along the first street she visited."

"While there, a neighbor asked her to check out his street, which also had a number of illegally parked vehicles. Once she observed they too were illegally parked, she cited them as well. The City of Toledo supports its laws in general and illegally parked vehicles can and will be ticketed, and these tickets are considered valid."

The city fined residents $25.

Mayor Finkbeiner said residents who were ticketed in fact broke the law for parking on a park of a drive that was not paved. He stood by Frederick, who wrote the violations.

"Every law in the city should be enforced and I will defer to the director over the media, that's for dag-gone sure," Mayor Finkbeiner said Monday during a news conference for the city's latest model block project. "I will not second guess her because more times then not she's right and the citizens that are criticizing her are not right."

"He made the statement that more times than not we are the ones that are wrong," said Shelly Cousino, who also receiving a parking violation ticket. "What we were wrong in doing is electing him again."

City Councilman D. Michael Collins met with

Councilman Collins met with residents and collected the tickets. He assured the problem would be resolved.

"If we have time for this Mickey Mouse nonsense something is radically wrong with that," Councilman Collins said.

FOX Toledo's Michelle Zepeda contributed to this report)

Another good reason to avoid Toledo, at least until the dumbass screw everybody he can mayor is kicked out of office. What are they going to do to the people who only have gravel for driveways, ticket them until they pave their driveway or park in the street. Gangs are taking over the city and they had 7 murders in a month but they've got to make sure everybody is parking on pavement.

Re: Toledoans ticketed for parking in their driveways
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:51 AM
thats insane....

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:58 AM
Damn

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:18 AM
This is when Castle Doctrine can be put to good use! Ohh I thought they were trying to steal my car!?!?!

Hahn Stage II - Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:25 AM
I debated posting this same article today. This is serious weaksauce. Basically they are forcing everyone to pave their driveways by enforcing this law.

Kinda wondering if this kind of thing won't happen more if the economy gets worse....

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:18 PM
BlackEco wrote:This is when Castle Doctrine can be put to good use! Ohh I thought they were trying to steal my car!?!?!

If they are parking where I suspect they are it is not in the driveway at all but rather on the boulevard in front of the house. If that is the case then they are technically parked on city property. Where I live you are allowed to use that area (as long as it is paved or graveled) to turn around only. You can not park in that area.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:07 AM
Nope not city property, it's their private property. The councilman for the area said in an interview on one of the local news channels the ones handing the fines out have no legal right to be handing the fines out on private property, they were only given permission to hand out parking tickets in Downtown Toledo so more police officers could handle other more important things instead of spending thier day writing tickets. Heard on the news this morning though that the Mayor's administration is going to step up enforcement of the stupid law and drive thru neighborhoods to hand out tickets. Toledo is so @!#$ up it's not even funny. I'm glad I moved the hell out of there.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:00 AM
They should not set foot on someones private property to issue the ticket in my opinion. Stay the @!#$ off my property , it is mine and you are not allowed to step foot on it I would say. They would probably say blah blah blah if your in violation we have the right. Well I also have the right to call you pigs any name I want in the process lol.

Windy City TurboZ
Monday, June 22, 2009 9:36 AM
lol This has been blown way out of proportion. I agree it is a stupid law and its not right to ticket ppl for parking on the edge of the street on property they own. This doesnt happen all the time. This incident was with one officer that handed out 7 tickets. Now the really stupid thing is that they wont waive the tickets, even though the city looks like a bunch of retards now. IDK may be this is a stunt to try and get back come of the 100 cops that were laid off? lol

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:43 AM
Apparently the city owns all private property...
Quote:

Frederick overstepping bounds again 071009
Collins says Frederick acting outside
her dept
Updated: Friday, 10 Jul 2009, 5:48 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 10 Jul 2009, 5:27 PM EDT

Barrett Andrews
TOLEDO, Ohio - Toledo's Division of Code Enforcement posted an unusual incident report July 8 asking the owner of TNS Inc. to get rid of all its vehicles, equipment and nuisance material.

When the Sterling Street business didn't remove its material in a timely fashion, Acting Commissioner Sue Frederick of the Division of Streets, Bridges, and Harbor showed up to take care of it.

"She's over there, completely out of the scope of her responsibilities to the city of Toledo," said Councilman and mayoral candidate D. Michael Collins. "She's the commissioner, or acting commissioner, of Streets, Harbors and Bridges and she's out functioning with nuisance abatement, which comes out of housing."

Collins wasn't happy to hear about what happened over on Sterling Street.

Megan Robson, Mayor Carty Finkbeiner's spokesperson said there's a good reason Frederick was there Wednesday morning. A pile of asphalt on TNS Inc.'s property was in question.

Robson said the city wanted it knocked down to a reasonable level and that is "a streets, bridges and harbor-type job," Robson said.

A source close to Wednesday's situation tells FOX Toledo, trucks from that division were being used to haul away steel the city considered selling as scrap.

Frederick seemed to be running the show.

In the nuisance complaint filed with the Toledo Police Department it stated Frederick "directed members of her staff to go to the property and being the process of abating the nuisance." Her staff mentioned is from the streets division.

Collins said he wondered if Frederick realizes she doesn't work for the department of neighborhoods anymore.

"Frankly, I am inclined not to want to be the big witness against the city of Toledo in pending litigations, which she has been instrumental in creating," Collins said.

Even though there was no official police report made on this case, because no one was charged, police officers did file an unusual incident report detailing this whole situation.

Quote:

City sued over towed vehicles 063009
City sued over towed
vehicles
Lawsuit filed over Sept 2008 incident
Updated: Tuesday, 30 Jun 2009, 10:38 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 30 Jun 2009, 10:38 PM EDT

WEST TOLEDO - A West Toledo business owner filed a lawsuit Tuesday claiming the city and the acting commissioner of streets, bridges and harbor improperly towed various vehicles off his storage business late year.

The lawsuit was filed in Lucas County Common Pleas Court on behalf of 60-year-old Christian Ewert of CMT Limited and State Line Group.

The suit claims Acting Commissioner Sue Frederick used a bolt cutter to enter the private storage facility on Alexis Road and towed several boats, trailers, mobile homes, and classic cars back on Sept. 12, 2008.

Fredrick, who has been in local and national news in June, claimed the vehicles were nuisance vehicles. She make national headlines after she ticketed several cars parked on homeowners property along Holland-Sylvania.

I hope the next mayor fires her.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:53 AM
I think someone should start towing her car out of her driveway, or out of her garage.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:06 AM
It'd be funnier if she had the mayors car towed for a parking violation LOL but an asteroid hitting earth is porabaly more probable.
I forot to mention a friend had a run in with her as well because he parked his classic car on the grass next to his driveway over the winter so the guy that plows his driveway won't hit it. She told him to move it or she'd be back with a tow truck 3 days later to impound the car. I helped him dig it out and a path to the driveway since this was happened after one of the heavy snows we had.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:08 AM
sounds like someone needs to get laid....

Thursday, August 06, 2009 8:09 AM
Here's an update. The city council voted to grandfather in the 'gravel driveways' but it's still illegal to park on any surface with the hint of grass growing out of it and gave the city the right to tow vehicles parked on grass. Last week the city went around to the same neighborhoods and took pics and then sent a bunch of people $75 fines since nobody paid the original $25 fines. After recieving the new tickets a few residents have put their homes up for sale. If you're ever stupid enough to move to Toledo remember you won't have Private Property , Toledo OWNZ all land.

Thursday, August 06, 2009 9:24 AM
And this is Toledo plan to help with the @!#$ up budget...

Friday, August 07, 2009 7:53 AM
I have to remember when I go visit my buddy to park IN HIS driveway. That sucks

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search