Rear Brakes - Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear Brakes
Sunday, December 28, 2008 3:58 PM
Sorry if this a repetitive question. I have an 02 cavalier. I was wondering how much on average it costs to have the rear brakes done? Do the drums always need to be turned? they are just now starting to make noise. I'm not the guy to be doing the rears on his own. I rather enjoy not killing others and/or myself. I went through the brake section and didn't find anything.
Thanks for any input on this.

Re: Rear Brakes
Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:14 PM
lol, i bought the rear disc conversion so i didnt have to eff with mine..lol
just an excuse to get it..hahahah

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:29 PM
I have yet to have to replace the drum brakes on either on my J's. Are you sure they need replaced? Might just need one hell of a cleaning and readjustment.

Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:46 PM
mitdr774 wrote:I have yet to have to replace the drum brakes on either on my J's. Are you sure they need replaced? Might just need one hell of a cleaning and readjustment.

yeah they are starting to make that grinding noise. There never was any squeaking like you get from the front. They just started doing it Christmas day and I don't want to mess stuff up by waiting to long.
Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:57 PM
I thought they were shot on my 98 but they just needed cleaned. It made some nasty sounds but was just a @!#$ load of brake shoe dust built up. How many miles are on yours?

Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:22 PM
mitdr774 wrote:I thought they were shot on my 98 but they just needed cleaned. It made some nasty sounds but was just a @!#$ load of brake shoe dust built up. How many miles are on yours?

89,000 miles.
Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:24 PM
The brakes should still be good then. Don't most drum and shoe setups last 100k or more? My mom's truck went 150k and when we did the rears we still had almost 1/8 of the shoe thickness left...

==============================================================

Yes, noob, the search button is for you...

Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:42 PM
Ya, lots of brake dust can create the noises. Take your rear wheels off, take the bolt retainers off the studs, take the drums off. You may have to get a little physical with them. I usually use a prybar and a soft-faced hammer. Just be a little careful.
Then shoot it all down with brake clean. You'll also be able to tell if you need to have them replaced and whatnot, which you shouldn't.
After you get the drums back on (don't worry about the bolt retainers) and the wheels back on, take your car to a parking lot or something, go into reverse to about 15mph, slam on the brakes. Do this two or three times. As long as they aren't way out of adjustment it should adjust them.

If you do need to have them done, the price will vary. Best bet would be to call a shop and see. But like said, you shouldn't need to have them done.

-Seth

Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:48 PM
Wow! 100k sounds good to me. I hope you are right. I want to get it in tomorrow or the next to be checked. My biggest concern is getting it apart and finding out I need a few hundred $ to fix it right then and there. Thats just one of those after Christmas expenses ya just don't want to have thrown at ya. Just out of curiosity does using your E brake daily help keep rears in adjustment? I use mine all the time. When its parked of course.
Sunday, December 28, 2008 6:09 PM
wizkiddrummer wrote:Ya, lots of brake dust can create the noises. Take your rear wheels off, take the bolt retainers off the studs, take the drums off. You may have to get a little physical with them. I usually use a prybar and a soft-faced hammer. Just be a little careful.
Then shoot it all down with brake clean. You'll also be able to tell if you need to have them replaced and whatnot, which you shouldn't.
After you get the drums back on (don't worry about the bolt retainers) and the wheels back on, take your car to a parking lot or something, go into reverse to about 15mph, slam on the brakes. Do this two or three times. As long as they aren't way out of adjustment it should adjust them.

If you do need to have them done, the price will vary. Best bet would be to call a shop and see. But like said, you shouldn't need to have them done.

-Seth

How long do you think this would take? Is it something that can be done in a couple hours? I keep my car very clean and I recently had my wheels off. The drums did not look rusty or corroded at all.
Sunday, December 28, 2008 6:11 PM
Shouldn't make any difference using the ebrake.
You adjust them by just what I said. Go in reverse, slam on brakes. Or manually with the star wheel.

-Seth

Sunday, December 28, 2008 6:23 PM
Dj Little Big Man wrote:
wizkiddrummer wrote:Ya, lots of brake dust can create the noises. Take your rear wheels off, take the bolt retainers off the studs, take the drums off. You may have to get a little physical with them. I usually use a prybar and a soft-faced hammer. Just be a little careful.

-Seth

How long do you think this would take? Is it something that can be done in a couple hours? I keep my car very clean and I recently had my wheels off. The drums did not look rusty or corroded at all.
Not very long at all. The hardest part is getting the drums off, sometimes. What happens is the pads wear a little groove into the drums so you have to over come that lip to get them off. And then sometimes they like to "corrode" to the hub. It'll also be easier to get it back on if you take a wire brush or like a scotchbrite to the hub (you'll see when u take the drum off)
Assuming you have basic tools...
Say it takes you 5 minutes to jack the car up on a side. Say it takes you 5 minutes to get a wheel off, and 5 to get it on. Drums shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to get off and thats if you're having a really hard time with them. 5 minutes to clean each side off. Then like a minute to adjust them. So a total of like 60 minutes total and that's like WAY worst case.
I can do mine at work in like 15 minutes.
You'll prolly want at least 1 can of brake clean for each side.

-Seth

Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:50 PM
I had mine done at about 160K. Wasn't very expensive, I think it cost me a total of 100 bux to get them both completely replaced.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search