swap - Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
swap
Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:16 PM
i got a 97 cavy and am looking to put in an 05 ecotec. i need help! who has done it and who can help me? is the trouble worth it? i got a 2.2 sohc in it now but i want some more performance. Im tired of seeing these hatchback flying past me. could use a good step by step. thanx

Re: swap
Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:32 PM
1st your engine is a 2.2 OHV.

2nd to do a eco swap on a pre2000 car you needs to buy a wreaked eco J and swap everything over. And i mean everything.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:36 PM
ive got a 05 cavy that i can get whatever i need. everything? need more detail
Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:39 PM
more detail ? thats about as detail as it gets... you NEED EVERYTHING>.. swap everything over until the donor car is mearly a shell [

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3170400/3

Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:55 AM
Yup, tear both cars down to this and then swap everything over.

You sure you still want to do it? If so get ready to spend 50+ hours working on your car to do so. It's not very hard just very long.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:02 AM
Damn Joey did you ever take progress pics of that? I must of missed it if you did.. How long in all did start to finish take you?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:12 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:Damn Joey did you ever take progress pics of that? I must of missed it if you did.. How long in all did start to finish take you?

I posted it on my local forum, I don't really post about my stuff on here too often. It took farking forever but I had from a good friend that saved my life with the swap.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:15 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:Damn Joey did you ever take progress pics of that? I must of missed it if you did.. How long in all did start to finish take you?

I posted it on my local forum, I don't really post about my stuff on here too often. It took farking forever but I had HELP from a good friend that saved my life with the swap.

Damn the no edit button for non-premium members

Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:35 AM
Ahh ok, just wondering.. Im sure it was well worth it

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:14 AM
that looks like more than 50 hours if you ask me.....

nice job though,

Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:52 PM
just buy my 97 eco swapped cav

Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:19 PM
would it just be better to go with a 3800? i mean im going for power, and if im gonna go through the trouble should i go with that 3800?
Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:24 PM
Jeff Payne wrote:would it just be better to go with a 3800? i mean im going for power, and if im gonna go through the trouble should i go with that 3800?

how bout you search the site and see how much work it was for other people to do their swaps, then you'll have an idea.

3800 swap isn't easy by a long shot. There's a lot of reinforcement to the front subframe and radiator support that needs to be done. Custom fabrication stuff.

eco swap would be simpler than a 3800 swap, but still wouldn't be easy. If you go with a 5 speed, you need to grind out the transmission mounts, and weld in new ones in the proper position.

a search would answer most of your questions.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:43 PM
pushing the 2200 its slow as balls. but im going to be doing the eco swap into my 96Z shortly hopefully, so after yours if you have any helpful hints that you ran into let me know.

Friday, October 31, 2008 5:38 AM
looks like a lot of work! is the trouble worth it? i am a welder/fabricator,so the fabricating for the 3800 shouldnt be too terribly bad. or i could just sell the car, the ecotec setup, then buy one that is already done! would be a lot easier! still gota have a cavy
Friday, October 31, 2008 7:07 AM
i love the car after the swap but have lost interest in the spo-com scene as a whole.

Friday, October 31, 2008 2:19 PM
would like to get my hands on your car, one hell of a deal. could sell my 97 (running), the 05 eco tec motor(50,000 miles) and tranny, wiring harness, stuff like that to get up the money. know any body looking for any of this stuff? sure would save me the trouble.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search