Newbie looking for trouble ;) - Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Newbie looking for trouble ;)
Thursday, October 09, 2008 2:14 PM
Hello all,

My name is John and I am formulating a project to compete in the Grassroots Motorsports $2009.00 Challenge next October 8th in Gainesville, Florida.

My plan is to remove the crusty craptacular body from my 1990 Turbo Grand Prix and install what is left in a 1995 and later Cavalier or Sunfire 2.2l stick.

I am looking for a "builder" car, it needs a title and only a little more. The engine can be toast or gone, wiring harness pulled and paint/body rough. I would prefer little rust but can repair if needed, multi colored cars are no issue as it will be getting the super sweet Maaco treatment.

Let me know if you have anything or know of anything available please let me know.

I look forward to picking your brains in the future.

Re: Newbie looking for trouble ;)
Thursday, October 09, 2008 2:15 PM
Also I am in Lansing, Mi FYI
Thursday, October 09, 2008 3:51 PM
You'd be best off selling the turbo 3.1, scrapping out what's left of the car, then starting with something else.

3400's with a light tune are putting down the same or more hp to the wheels than the turbo 3.1 will. Plus you get the benefit of no premium gas, and not having to modify the crossover pipe to fit over a manual trans like you will on the turbo 3.1.

Friday, October 10, 2008 4:25 AM
E85 is cheaper than regular unleaded (the build plan includes it as a spec) plus allows a lot more psi/N2o/timing than stock.

Not concerned about the crossover pipe either, I have access to the components required to jig/build the pipe (I actually have a pipe off a manual converted TGP as well)

What is the big difference between the top of the TH440 case and the Cavalier manual that would make a big difference in the crossover?

The biggest key to the whole swap for me is trying to keep the budget at zero AFTER the sell down. Since the car will only have a $2009.00 budget to begin with and the fact that I can sell down the TGP to below zero after taking what I need I am looking to keep up the pattern.

Thanks for the advice.
Friday, October 10, 2008 6:06 AM
The Auto's bellhousing actually sits away from the engine a little bit. There's a bit smaller area in there where just the torque converter goes. It's been a known issue for a long time about using.

The one downside of E85 is the slightly less MPG and need for larger injectors. I'm gonna be going that route too though so I understand all the rest of that stuff you mentioned. Just offereing you a suggestion.

Monday, October 13, 2008 1:38 PM
I bet the difference between weight would make up the MPG loss when comparing the TH440 TGP and a manual (or TH125) Cadaverlier.

I have a line on a 1997 Sunfire and a nother on a grey bumper 1996 Cavalier, both owners have yet to call me back.

Anyone else got a parts car they want to sell?

John
Monday, October 13, 2008 5:35 PM
i have a getrag trans for a v6 j car..lmk if either you are interested

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Monday, October 13, 2008 9:56 PM
sorry to thread jack .....

but i may b intrasted in the tranny ..... how much

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 4:49 AM
Jack away!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search