WTT/WTB:White/Black Z24 Hood - Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
WTT/WTB:White/Black Z24 Hood
Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:49 PM
Just wondering if anyone would be interested in trading stock Z24 hoods.Mine is white in decent condition
and I am looking for a black Z hood.Or if anyone has a black z hood for sale let me know.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"

Re: WTT/WTB:White/Black Z24 Hood
Sunday, December 30, 2007 6:13 PM
Anyone?If not guess I'll go the Yard

Sunday, December 30, 2007 7:52 PM
Please tell me this isn't for you car....

I miss her^
Wednesday, January 02, 2008 6:34 PM
Rob Weis (RobsCavZ24) wrote:Please tell me this isn't for you car....

I had thought about it,why?Just because it wouldn't be a CF hood doesn't mean it would look bad.
Trust me ,if I had the cash cf would be what I would get

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 6:42 PM
I dont mean to interject or just throw my opinion into the ring. I just feel thats horrible tacky. Just think it through. As good as it may appear, I would rather be stock than a poser.

If you are still looking for one, I believe Mr. Pute has an extra black hood. Mabye get ahold of him and see if he is willing to part with one.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Wednesday, January 02, 2008 6:52 PM
Point taken,it was just a thought.I really don't know what looks good,I def. need advice on exterior for the Vert.
Thanks Jay

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 11:21 PM
nah i think if you did a black hood you could make it work. that would mean a black trunk lid and painting your A pillars and cross bar black also and perhaps the top 1-2" of the fenders too....but its a very simple two tone if you do it like that. i was going to do my green vert like that since it already had a black top. trust me....for a hundred bucks or so you could make your vert into a nice, simple two tone that looked stock.

coming back in 2008...
Thursday, January 03, 2008 7:19 PM
That idea works.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Thursday, January 03, 2008 9:57 PM
I wasn't trying to be a dick either, it's just if you just have a black hood on a white car, it just looks like you don't have the money to paint it....

Now some kind of 2 tone could be sweet...

I miss her^
Friday, January 04, 2008 2:45 AM
no offense taken ,thanks for ideas guys'

Friday, January 04, 2008 5:08 AM
Yea, just black hood = bad idea. Black hood/trunk and painting around the windshield black = good idea.

That's what I would like to do to my car, only get a carbon hood/trunk and paint the top of my car black....

Panda!

Friday, January 04, 2008 12:01 PM
Well,initial plan was a black vinyl top, CF hood,and '00-'02 spoiler but with lack of funds for the CF,I figured I could get a black Z hood cheaper.My trunk lock is shaved so if I were to get a black hood,sanding and re-painting the lid black would not be a problem.I think it was GTP or some guy from Canada that came to the J-bom track day at Lapeer that had a white Z coupe with a black lid and hood and I thought it looked pretty good.

Friday, January 04, 2008 12:13 PM
are there no junkers close to you? you could probably pick one up dirt cheap there. also, you have specifically mentioned "z hood" in your title and posts a few times. im assuming any 95-02 cav hood will work for you, right? you arent specifically looking for one from a z for some odd reason are you?

coming back in 2008...
Friday, January 04, 2008 12:54 PM
Yeah there are alot of yards but finding one(hood) that isn't damaged is the problem,I'm not familiar with compatibility on cav hoods,I assumed ,since alot of things are different on the verts., that the Z hood was different as well.

Friday, January 04, 2008 2:29 PM
i wouldn't paint the trunk i think that would look tacky. do the hood and pillars would kinda resemble tabs candy cane cav.

Friday, January 04, 2008 2:59 PM
nah, all 95-02 cav hoods are the same. coupe, vert, sedan, z or base. now the doors and interior on the verts is a different story....

and actually if you didnt want to do the trunk you could probably skimp that part since the verts have the plastic pieces that wrap around the back. that would allow you to just do the A pillars and hood......and youd end up with something that resembled lenkos drop top.

coming back in 2008...
Friday, January 04, 2008 4:23 PM
That's cool,thanks Tabs.I never thought of a two-tone in that detail although I have always loved yours.Is it hard to paint the A-pillars?

Jthompson:I need to have my current shaved lid, re-painted but I still have the stocker that was broken into,I work with a guy that is going to weld in a plate where the lock was and I was planning on filling,sanding and primering that lid and then sell it.If I do go with a black trunk I'll get a '00 from a yard and just keep the lock I guess.
BTW:The only thing that has changed on the car from my Sig. is the covers are gone as well as the badges&moldings.I need a drop badly,lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, January 04, 2008 4:25 PM

Friday, January 04, 2008 7:18 PM
to be honest.....and this is not something i normally recommend.....but since there is so little to paint, coupled with the fact that yours isnt a show car its a DD, you should be able to get away with a good spray bomb job for the A pillars. that was the way i was going to handle it for my vert.

basically, just go to your local automotive paint store and have them mix you up a spray can of GM black and some auto clear. get some sand paper and painters tape and sand the A pillars and cross bar around the windshield. tape it off and paint it like you would paint anything else. half an hour plus dry time and youre done. simple as pie.

around here a spray can of omni for a basic GM color runs about $7. same for clear. few bucks for paper and tape. so for under $25 (and the cost of a black hood) you now have a simple two tone for your drop top. because the area you painted is so small, there is less room for error and if you do mess up people are less likely to notice.

again, please dont think i am advocating for people to spray bomb their cars and that itll look like new.....but this is a quick and cheap little trick thatll work out well in your case.

the trick to a good, even coat on spray bombing something is to use one of these:

coming back in 2008...
Friday, January 04, 2008 8:29 PM
Good info,thnks.I did paint the lid I bought from Karnage(Jeff).I sanded,no primer(1st mistake),and three coats of the Duplicolor.....but I forgot to clear it(yeah,dumb mistake)and when I waxed the car I forgot there wasn't any clear and it left a stain,kind of.My boots and rear cover came out perfect with the black vinyl Duplicolor paint,again I didn't clear them but I will in the Spring.I have a power sander so sanding is the easy part and I have at the least learned the beginner mistakes to painting,lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, January 04, 2008 8:30 PM

Saturday, January 05, 2008 4:56 AM
well here are a few more tips: dont use a power sander, for starters. get a block and paper and use some elbow grease. its not like youre doing the whole car...just a small part. if you MUST use a power sander, just do it to get down past the clear and base...then use the block to take it down more and even it out. from there, yeah, primer it. again, have an auto paint shop mix you up a little can. as nice as the duplicolor is, just spend a few bucks and get some good materials.

prime, paint, clear. there are plenty of instructions floating around online (and maybe even check out the exterior forum) on the proper way to paint. read it and follow. basically, all you will be subbing out is a compressor and hvlp for a spray can and the handle gun posted ^^^ above (which really makes using a spray can 10x nicer). after you are done clearing, wet sand and buff. again, read up on how do to that.

when you are done your car will look very good. if you like how everything turned out, i would recommend trying the same thing on the top inch or two of your fenders so they will match up and follow the body lines of the two tone better. just look at the weather stripping under the windows and you'll see what body line itll be following.

good luck with it all and let me know if you have any more questions. again, this is a pretty simple trick to do for our drop tops. and if/when you save up a few bucks....LOWER THAT BITCH. trust me, it really makes a huge difference and you will LOVE it!

coming back in 2008...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search