rebuilding 2.4l - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rebuilding 2.4l
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:54 AM
I am trying to rebuild my 2.4l ld9 motor with all performance parts. an i would like to know EXACTLY what parts i need!! an were about to find them for the cheapest price! so whoever has built one. i would really appreciate your time to help me out an let me know thanks, Cody.

Re: rebuilding 2.4l
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:24 AM
This has been covered about a billion times. Just look up the Horse power post and 1/4 mile post in the racing forum and look at the top people. If I get more time I'll dig up the list I made last time someone asked.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 4:41 AM
I'm in the process of building my own. I went for the import performance parts rebuild package. Just don't het the bearings. Buy your own clevite 77s if your going all out on your build.
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:01 PM
alright man i appreciate it alot that was alot help! were would you say the cheapest place to find everything would be though?
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:26 PM
all performance parts?

Here's about $5000 or so worth of goodies... from bottom up

Extended oil pan
2.3 Oil Pump Swap
Stock crank, knife edge 3 - 7 lbs off...
MD Crank Pully
Gutted steel flywheel (stay away from aluminum, they tend to be noise makers
Clevite 77 bearings
Eagle Rods
Wiseco 11.5:1 Pistons .020 over... (Generally with our four cyls, going overbore on the cyl walls are just for cleaning the cyl walls (you won't notice a difference between .020 and .060). You'll need to check your block for coreshift if you plan to go above .060)
OEM GM Head Gasket... (people have had good and bad luck with Cometic)
SI Valves, 1 mm oversized Stainless Valves
GM HO Valve Springs
TI Retainers (they mate 2.3 springs to 2.4 valves using the 2.4 valve locks)
Full port and polish on the head.
Ron Header
HO Intake Manifold
95 LO Throttle Body
HO Cams or better
Delco Platinum Spark Plugs
MSD Wires
MSD 2.2 Coil Packs
MSD Dis 2 HO

Tune it all up with a Good HP Tune, and you should be between 225 - 250 to the wheels...

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:01 PM
hell ya man thanks thats just wat i needed!! sounds like im going to be busy for next couple months lol!! were would you say the cheapest sites would be to get all the goodies!?? a also i heard its a pain in the ass to tune a 96?? is this true!!?
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:04 PM
were did you get the package?? what does it all include! it would be nice to get a whole kit.. makes it easier.. an if anything probably cheaper!
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:36 PM
its not only a pain to tune a 96.. its impossible.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:40 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:its not only a pain to tune a 96.. its impossible.

AINT this the truth.

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:42 PM
http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/pek-cavalier.html you should still do the oil pump swap to 2.3 there's a good write up on here for it. Mystic knows what he's talking about but if budget persist I'd do the internals and machining and work your way out. Add stuff on later when money allows you too like MSD parts cams and tuning. As far as the p&p if you do the 2.3 head swap (forgot the cast number) you could avoid a hefty bill from machining on the 2.4 head. Do a lil research and you could save a little penny on performance.
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:07 PM
has anyone actually got a 2.3 head swapped car to run right?

In any case, you'll want to swap to a 97 PCM with the 97 wiring, and any differences in sensors... Then you'll be tunable.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:20 PM
I thought the 086 head swap was tried and true?
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:40 PM
alright i guess ill have to do that as well:/ why is it imposibble to tune a 96?
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:50 PM
what else would i exactly need if i got that kit!?? an isnt that the biggest pain ever to swap wiring pcm and all sensors?!
Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:42 AM
96 is not supported by any tuning software. You can do a 97 computer and engine harness swap so you can tune with with hptuners and efi live.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:55 AM
... why don't you ask if someone will buy and build it for you to?
You're annoying and probably a huge tool.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:09 AM
I just swapped my wiring and computer in my 96 to 97 for tuning. It's not fun but it's not that bad. I found the entire harness on eBay. Good luck

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:33 AM
2.3 heads have been done and worked fine but its never been proven to be any kind of a performance gain.

on paper with the higher compression and larger ports and "better" flow numbers they produce they should be but like i said, nobody has ever proven it.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:29 AM
As far as the kit goes. Get the eagle rod option and clean up the the cylinder with .020 over bore. Do the 2.3 swap. Figure out if your going to do secret cams or track down w41s. If your staying n/a work on the exhaust there's a website called mandrelbentexhaust or something like that they will get you any diameter exhaust with resonator/cat/muffler. You could do all this work and fire it right up chances are you won't get all the power you paid for tho without tuning. If anything look into a standalone engine management system. That would take care of swapping all the computer stuff. You just won't have as many tuning parameters.
Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:08 PM
you should have a lot more tuning parameters with a good stand alone. AEM makes a universal which can do things that you cannot do with HPT and a stock PCM...

Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:48 PM
alright guys sounds good thanks alot just what i needed!? were the hell would i find a good stand alone for it tho? cuz i really dont care for swapin harness out!..

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:17 PM
Im not that far with my build yet. But is look into universal kits, maybe greddy AEM etc. Just look at all the big name foreign tuner companys there bound to have a universal standalone.
Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:29 PM
cody churches wrote:alright guys sounds good thanks alot just what i needed!? were the hell would i find a good stand alone for it tho? cuz i really dont care for swapin harness out!..
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:you should have a lot more tuning parameters with a good stand alone. AEM makes a universal which can do things that you cannot do with HPT and a stock PCM...

Friday, June 01, 2012 8:55 AM
He doesnt want to swap harnesses but thinks going the stand alone route is easier? YOu pretty much build your own harness with a standalone system.

Im sure if you cant figure out where to buy the parts that you dont know you need, you will never figure out a standalone system or even be able to properly build a motor.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Friday, June 01, 2012 7:27 PM
Hptuners is the all and mighty tuning device for these and have more parameters to tweak such as spark timing yet run like 600 bucks and you have to buy points to actually tune. Megasquirt has tuning for the injectors duty cycle and a few other brands that are similar to this.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search