Solid Mount Issue - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Solid Mount Issue
Monday, May 28, 2012 5:12 AM
Has anyone had trouble with their solid lower motor mount bolts backing out? I fashioned my own out of the stock piece (welded metal tabs over the openings to make it a solid piece). Anyway, I remember putting this bolt in with an air impact gun:

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg590/rdp001/IMAG0610.jpg

Looks like it just vibrated out? Just wondered if anyone had this problem before and if not, I suggest everyone with solid mounts check regularly. (It's wet because I changed the water pump right before I snapped this picture.)

"In Oldskool we trust"

Re: Solid Mount Issue
Monday, May 28, 2012 6:48 AM
did you look to see if its stripped I have never seen that, Ive installed Polly mounts in a couple cavs and none have backed out.
check to make sure you didn't switch the bolts around too , only two things I think that can cause that hope you figure it out
Monday, May 28, 2012 7:07 AM
Both good points, I did pull the bolt all the way out and check it before I put it back in. It looked mint to me. When I ran it back in it tightened right up like usual. As for swapping them, I can tell you that I'm pretty meticulous in how I lay crap down that I unbolted. There's nearly no possibility of my swapping the bolts (never say never). I think it's because there's literally no buffer between the engine and that bolt anymore, ie a poly bushing like the TTR mounts have, etc. I literally took a thick, thick washer, cut it in half, laid one half on each side of the fat end of the stock mount, welded it all in place, and bolted it back in. You can kind of see my welds in the picture.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, May 28, 2012 8:05 AM
if that's the case id say locktite it poor mans fix. would keep it from backing out but you would have to keep your eye on it.

just a question did you weld a washer to the front and back of the mount?
if so there has to be a reason to the back bolt not backing out too id think?
you never know
Monday, May 28, 2012 8:19 AM
Yeah I actually did locktite the $h!t out of it. This isn't a show car and likely will be scraped in another year or 2. I wish I still had the pictures of how I did it, but I'll see what I can make to possibly show you. I only did the front because the back of the mount is just a swivel point and therefore is pretty solid as is. I basically welded the metal bolt guide in the front part to the steel shell that holds the factory rubber insert in. Seems like the front bolt would take more of the impact when I grab gears or peel out since that's where it mounts to the motor as opposed to the rear bolt that's mounted to the body.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, May 28, 2012 8:33 AM
Ok, this is crude since I'm at work but here's a description:

That's the stocker:

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg590/rdp001/cavalierlowermount.jpg

Here's what I did:

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg590/rdp001/cavalierlowermountmodified.jpg

Crude, I know. But the blue pac man is where I placed half of a thick, massive washer and welded the inner rim to the steel bolt guide and then welded the outer rim to the black housing for the rubber insert. I did it on both sides and it's stuck together with no issues for well over 60k.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search