engine mounts let go - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine mounts let go
Sunday, August 02, 2009 8:50 AM
I did my ttr upper and rks lower mount about two months ago. They felt GREAT the first week of driving. No jerking when letting off the gas and instant pick up when i hit it. They are now letting up noticeably. Just wondering if I might have tightened them too much/little or is this a broken in effect?

Re: engine mounts let go
Sunday, August 02, 2009 9:23 AM
Sounds like your getting use to the vibrations and they are breaking in.. You can double check all the bolts just to be on the safe side. It wouldn't hurt any.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 9:28 AM
Mine have stopped vibrating alot too. Although, I have only put close to 100 mi on it in the past 2 months.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 9:58 AM
what do you mean letting up?

if your getting jerking and vibrations it might be your transmission mount.. sense the engine side has no where to go the transmission moves alot more that could be what your feeling.

OhForKavy wrote:
J03Y wrote:poor people do that

I hate to break it to ya..but a lot of people on this site aren't in the wealthy bracket. If we were, we prolly wouldn't have j-bodies

Sunday, August 02, 2009 9:21 PM
i haven't looked into trans mounts. are those just the 2 bushing insert replacements?
if so, where do you guys recommend getting them and how hard is it to install/instructions?

Sunday, August 02, 2009 10:40 PM
tranny mounts are easy as hell to do. bought mine from TTR, very nice pieces, great price. did mine like 3 weeks ago without any real troubles. the back one was kinda tight to get my big ass arm down in there, but it all worked out very very well. the hardest part is having a table vice to push the new bushings in. use lots of lithium grease. the table vice is definately needed. they come with instructions, but they kinda leave you with "use normal service manual procedures to remove mount". my haynes manual kinda left me in the dark there, but just looking at the tranny you'll get the idea.
heres how it went on my 97(may vary slightly over the years depending on the engine/trans but this is the basic jist)
get a good set of sockets, ratchets, and a couple of combination wrenches and maybe a screwdriver handy. first thing you do is take off the left front wheel, and remove the inner fender it should be a whole bunch of 8mm screws. next look around for the mounts themselves. theres 3 bolts holding each mount to the tranny itself, and a bolt AND a nut going through the mount holding it to the body. only take one mount out at a time. i started with the front, as its much easier to get to. put a jack under the flat spot on the trans and apply slight pressure to the trans to keep it from shifting too much during mount removal. remove the bolts holding the bracket to the trans and remove the bolt+nut holding the mount to the frame. take the bracket out. find the bent tabs on the one side of the mount, bend them off of the bracket so that the bushing can come out. (you'll get the idea when you see it) smack the bushing with a hammer until the bushing pops out of the bracket. clean it up a bit, lube the inside with lithium grease, or something of the sort, get the new bushing ready, lube it up with the same grease, take both over to a bench vice and press the new bushing in. bolt it all back up. check to make sure theyre nice and tight, maybe use a little loc-tite just to be sure. the back mount is a little more tricky (at least it was on my trans) only because it looked like there were only 2 bolts holding the bracket to the trans. but there were definately 3. removal is identical to the front one, only instead of being nice and easy in the front its in the back, youve got to reach around some stuff to get to it.. if you have skinny arms good for you it'll be 10X easier than it is for someone with larger arms. lol. put it all back together, let it run for a few mins, double check bolt tightness, drive it like you stole it.

basic installation for tranny mounts. what can i say i was bored and didnt feel like doing a search . that should give you some idea, unless im WAY off base on the differences between the isuzu and getrag trannys lol. love mine, very happy with the feel and the vibes arent bad at all. only vibes i get really is at idle with the a/c on (which isnt that often at all)

Monday, August 03, 2009 9:43 AM
Monday, August 03, 2009 9:51 AM
Spalattero wrote:This: http://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4915&idcategory=528
or
This: http://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1274&idcategory=528

am guessing just brand names, just want to make sure.

There is a BIG difference. You do not want the Prothane ones. Notice they have holes in the bushings. The prothane ones deform and will allow a lot of movement. The TTR ones do not have these holes and will not deform over time.

TTR is a much better bushing.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Monday, August 03, 2009 3:52 PM
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:
Spalattero wrote:This: http://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4915&idcategory=528
or
This: http://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1274&idcategory=528

am guessing just brand names, just want to make sure.

There is a BIG difference. You do not want the Prothane ones. Notice they have holes in the bushings. The prothane ones deform and will allow a lot of movement. The TTR ones do not have these holes and will not deform over time.

TTR is a much better bushing.

xeleventybillion. <3 TTR.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search