Ordering a resonator - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ordering a resonator
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:57 PM
I'm currently in the process of ordering a resonator to quiet down the rasp I got when I got my Pacesetter header! My current cat-back is the Vibrant street cat-back which has a O.D. of 2-3/8 in. First of all, should I order the resonator with an inlet/outlet diameter of 2.25 or 2.5?

Secondly, which do you guys prefer?

Vibrant- only comes in 12" or 18"

Cherrybomb P/N 87529- which is 2.5 in diam, 18" body, and 23" actual length (would that fit?)

Thrush resonator 23" or whatever it is....

Finally, how big?

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Pacesetter armor coated header
-Magnaflow 22" resonator (p/n 10436)
-Vibrant CatBack
-TTR Upper and Lower motor mounts

Re: Ordering a resonator
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:08 AM
Stay above 18", and the diameter is up to you really. I went with 2.5"
Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:04 PM
any help?

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Vibrant CatBack
Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:41 PM
Would this fit behind my cat?

22" magnaflow resonator

Is 4" diameter to big?

It says its a muffler, but it acts like a resonator?

Thanks a lot

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Vibrant CatBack
Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:10 PM
My setup is pacesetter header, 2.25" piping and ultraflow ss muffler. Some rasp to it before it warms up.
Have a 2.5" thrush glasspack 28" resonator that am returning and going with this smaller one: http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/24201/10002/-1

Friday, July 31, 2009 9:33 AM
So that one in the link is 24" long all together or just the resonator part?

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Vibrant CatBack
Friday, July 31, 2009 10:30 AM
body length is 24" which is just the resonator, overall should be around 30" (3" inlet/outlet sides)

Friday, July 31, 2009 6:12 PM
I have a pacesetter header.Magnaflow 2.25 Cat back,dual exhasust,I just install a 22" Purple Horine 2.25,They are made by Holly performance,For 40 Bucks I ave very happy,Sounds great all the way to 7 thousand,no rasp..I would recomend this one..
Sunday, August 02, 2009 6:59 PM
My 29" cherry bomb louvered glass pack was $35cdn. i'm running 2.5 with no rasp until about 5500.
Monday, August 03, 2009 6:59 AM
Eric Schellpeper wrote:Would this fit behind my cat?

22" magnaflow resonator

Is 4" diameter to big?

Thanks a lot

I have this resonator except int 2.25 inch. It is great and fits fine in the space behind the cat. I would recommend a 2.25 for your setup. I say this because the INSIDE diameter of your cat back will be 2.25" and would mate up fine to the 2.25 INSIDE diameter of this magnaflow resonator. Pleaser stay above 18" for any choice you make.

Monday, August 03, 2009 12:05 PM
Scott Fry wrote:
Eric Schellpeper wrote:Would this fit behind my cat?

22" magnaflow resonator

Is 4" diameter to big?

Thanks a lot

I have this resonator except int 2.25 inch. It is great and fits fine in the space behind the cat. I would recommend a 2.25 for your setup. I say this because the INSIDE diameter of your cat back will be 2.25" and would mate up fine to the 2.25 INSIDE diameter of this magnaflow resonator. Pleaser stay above 18" for any choice you make.

And it dampens the tone very well?

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Vibrant CatBack

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 8:54 AM
^^^ yes sir. I have no rasp from what I can tell (seeing as I can't hear it from behind when I am driving it) It also quiets it down a fair bit. When it was installed people forgot that I had an aftermarket exhaust until I stepped on it. Its the way I like it as I have matured from the stage where loud exhausts are cool. It still is a little too loud IMO when booting it down the highway but it is livable. Mind you my system is different than yours but I would say that the Magnaflow resonator does a good job. You get what you pay for IMO.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 8:56 AM
Scott Fry wrote:^^^ yes sir. I have no rasp from what I can tell (seeing as I can't hear it from behind when I am driving it) It also quiets it down a fair bit. When it was installed people forgot that I had an aftermarket exhaust until I stepped on it. Its the way I like it as I have matured from the stage where loud exhausts are cool. It still is a little too loud IMO when booting it down the highway but it is livable. Mind you my system is different than yours but I would say that the Magnaflow resonator does a good job. You get what you pay for IMO.

Cool, I ordered it last night!

Thanks

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Vibrant CatBack
Tuesday, August 04, 2009 7:07 PM
Awesome. Shoot up a video of how it sounds if you have a chance.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 9:41 AM
Alright, will do! I ordered it monday night from simpleautosports.com and its on a truck for delivery to my appt. today (wednesday). Best of all is the shipping was free!

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Vibrant CatBack
Wednesday, August 05, 2009 10:47 AM
Scott Fry wrote:Awesome. Shoot up a video of how it sounds if you have a chance.

x2

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 3:33 PM
Alright got it installed today! Before when all I had was my Vibrant catback exhaust it was just a little raspy. Then I added a pacesetter coated header and the place that installed in definitely left a bad leak! Today after I got the 22" magnaflow (p/n 10436) installed the only sound I can hear under normal driving acceleration is that damn header leak. As far as the final exhaust tone, its incredible. Literally barely there when I'm being easy then just a deep tone when I get on it! I'm super stoked!! I'll post up a video right after I get that header leak fixed.....

Stay tuned!

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Vibrant CatBack
Wednesday, August 05, 2009 4:30 PM
if u wanna make the most of ur engine's exhaust make sure your header collector is of the right size and lentgh.
your muffler is flowing an adequate cfm rating for your engine.

u will actually loose hp if u dont tune your exhaust right.

resonators cost hp they cause flow to be slowed by increasing back pressure thus slowing down the pressure wave of your exhaust (thats why the exhuast sounds deeper)

glasspacks gain hp and putting an adequate collector after your headers will make the most difference
with the pace setter header that has primaries of 1.5" a collector of 2.6" in dia, and minimun 10" long should be used
also if u use a glasspack as a muffler itl add to the collector length and in the end make hp.

so as an example if u spend $500 on a 2.25" cat back system and the pipes are all mandrel bent but the muffler only allows 250 cfm of flow at the exit point. this system was a total waste of money when minimun required flow for a 140hp engine is 308cfm collector to tail pipe exit.

if it start the next day it can be driven harder
Thursday, August 06, 2009 2:07 PM
I don't think horsepower was his goal. From what I understand, he was in the same boat as I, we want a certain sound and could care less how minimal the gains are or not.

Thursday, August 06, 2009 6:44 PM
Scott Fry wrote:I don't think horsepower was his goal. From what I understand, he was in the same boat as I, we want a certain sound and could care less how minimal the gains are or not.

Exactly, now I just have to get my header leak fixed. If it wasn't for the leak, I could barely hear my exhaust, well i guess I'll find out!

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Vibrant CatBack
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search