MSD Coil Conversion Picture - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MSD Coil Conversion Picture
Monday, March 16, 2009 7:17 AM
[font=ArialI Can do this for anyone who has the money and is interested.]

Re: MSD Coil Conversion Picture
Monday, March 16, 2009 5:26 PM
How much did that run u?

Life is to short 4 bulls#*$.
Willpower is no match 4 horsepower!
Monday, March 16, 2009 5:51 PM
Everything looks good except the ground wire you have attached to the coil pack bracket. Clean that up and it will look great!

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Monday, March 16, 2009 5:55 PM
sorry to thread jack but i also got a complele neon coil swap for sale 30$ pm me.
Monday, March 16, 2009 8:51 PM
neon has less ohms i believe

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Monday, March 16, 2009 9:58 PM
Whys the fusebox diffrent? Just wondering havent seen it like this before.

bc97cavalier
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:05 AM
Red wires would look better. You may want to reconsider another location for those coil packs, they arent going to live long there. At least sheild them in some manner from moisture.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:55 AM
bc97cavalier wrote:Whys the fusebox diffrent? Just wondering havent seen it like this before.

its a grand am....

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:17 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:Red wires would look better. You may want to reconsider another location for those coil packs, they arent going to live long there. At least sheild them in some manner from moisture.

lol, you say the craziest things some times.

WrenchMonkey used to make/sell MSD Coil swap kits (TeamGREENPerformance MSD Coil Conversions)..... but they didn't sell all that well, as most of the JBO went the cheaper route, and ran OEM 2200 coils.

Good luck.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:58 AM
That ran around 300 i think. 100 for the coils, almost another 100 for the interface modules, and like 60for the wires. The plugs were just an add but they were like 30.

MSD Coils: 8224
Modules: 8870
Accel Cut-To-Fit Wires
NGK Platinum Plugs
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:20 PM
Yep I brought one of Wrenches MSD plg & play coil setups for my car.

Friday, March 27, 2009 6:20 AM
I prefered doing my own. I like to get in there and know what's been done plus say "Yup i did it" LOL
Friday, March 27, 2009 7:28 AM
I really do not like this swap. Mostly for the looks, only seem 1 or 2 that I feel look ok. If I was to do this I would want the individual coils and mount them either over the fuel rail with short plug wires, or on the exhaust cam housing with short plug wires.

FU Tuning

Friday, March 27, 2009 7:43 PM
Well to the OP......why in the hell would anybody pay for this mod?...it's literally just extending three wires
It just seems to be literally the easiest mod you can possibly do....I think changing oil would take longer.

^Yeah, I kinda agree, CNP would look better....I ended up running Toyota 2zz pencil coils on each plug. Then finally got them COP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, March 27, 2009 7:43 PM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Saturday, March 28, 2009 12:18 PM
Quote:

I ended up running Toyota 2zz pencil coils on each plug. Then finally got them COP.

Pictures?

FU Tuning

Saturday, March 28, 2009 5:09 PM
It will take a long time to get pics since I'm out of town constantly. Lots of people got laid off at my work and I've gotta pick up the slack and go back out to the field...ugh.
But here is a picture of the coils to give you an idea. Pic.
Those aren't the exact same ones, looking around I might actually have Infinity coils that I pulled off a toyota...hmm. Hopefully soon I'll upgrade to a DIS4 and be able to run COP past 7k RPM since the DIS2 is only good to 14k and in 4 cyl COP only allows 7k. Not that I really want to go past 7k, more because my DIS2 get's hotter than hell running that much energy through it.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Monday, March 30, 2009 5:29 PM
Joshua, on the pencil coils, would you just wire them up direct from the ICM trigger outputs to make the coils fire?
Also, how much energy can such a little coil provide in lieu of how a coil works with more windings equaling higher output voltages.
What about impedances for your input and output of the coils for your return?
Just curious as I also wanted to go with individual coils (I'd still use the waste spark system for ease of use) once I got my turbo build in progress.
Good luck.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, March 30, 2009 6:13 PM
Well, with the MSD is saves alot of problems as far as resistances go. I just got plugged them in and went, with a CDI you can get away with murder on that part. Yeah, so what I did was put a box in between the coils and setup a transistor bridge that reads a Cam sensor and switches the two wires from one set to the other set when the cam was in the right position for the certain coil to fire. So if you keep with the DIS you can just run both coils into the same trigger just as your current setup is running. Now, the bridge I built disconnects the second coil that would normally be on the same channel so the resistances are less in my case which is why I consider my max rpm of the DIS to be lower since alot more energy is running through the trigger than before. We will see how long the coils last...lol. Honestly you don't need that massive sized coil if your only firing one plug, most CNP and COP setup are similarly sized smaller coils.

Monday, March 30, 2009 6:58 PM
Interesting.
This transistor bridge, is it a full wave bridge rectifier you're describing?
It's the only thing that I can think of when you're describing it.
But if it is, I can't comprehend why you'd use a bridge rectifier since it converts a/c to dc.
Please explain a bit further if you feel like it or PM me with the information if you'd like.
Thanks Joshua.
Btw, I'm using the 6211 MSD DIS-2 if that helps.
I can always change the wiring or get a cam sync if necessary.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, March 30, 2009 7:07 PM
Not a bridge in those terms, I call it a bridge...only cause when I wired it up it looked similar to an H-bridge system. H-bridge is a transistor bridge used to drive stepper motors...nothing to do with rectifiers.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search