ecotec saab??? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec saab???
Monday, March 16, 2009 4:03 PM
did GM ever put an l61 or le5 in a saab? also if i were to take a turbo from a saab what would be the best saab to look for? any help or input is appreciated

Re: ecotec saab???
Monday, March 16, 2009 4:16 PM
Yes they did. The "best" would be the turbo from the eco turbo saab, but you'd need the whole kit.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, March 16, 2009 4:25 PM
No they never put an l61 or le5 in any saab. Any 03+ saab 93 new body style. The one with a lower case "t" are the low output versions, and the capital "T" has the high output turbo.

Monday, March 16, 2009 4:36 PM
cool beans, thanks for the info
Monday, March 16, 2009 9:58 PM
are you crazy? they put ecotecs into sabb's, i'm just not sure if they were 2.2 turbo ecotec's
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:20 AM
(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:No they never put an l61 or le5 in any saab. Any 03+ saab 93 new body style. The one with a lower case "t" are the low output versions, and the capital "T" has the high output turbo.

Wikipedia wrote:
LK9 is a turbocharged 2.0 L— 1998 cc (121.9 cu in) — version of the L61 utilizing a reinforced sand cast aluminum cylinder head and reinforced internal components. It features an 86 mm (3.39 in) bore and stroke and a 9.5:1 compression ratio. Power is 210 horsepower (160 kW) at 5300 rpm and 220 lb·ft (298 N·m) of torque at 2500 rpm. Maximum boost is 12.3 psi (0.85 bar).

* 2003–present Saab 9-3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine#Ecotec

It's basically the L61 destroked 2.2 with upgraded internals and a turbo. The turbo parts and manifold match up very well to the 2.2L L61 (which is what the OP was getting at anyway).

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:59 PM
Shifted wrote:
(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:No they never put an l61 or le5 in any saab. Any 03+ saab 93 new body style. The one with a lower case "t" are the low output versions, and the capital "T" has the high output turbo.

Wikipedia wrote:
LK9 is a turbocharged 2.0 L— 1998 cc (121.9 cu in) — version of the L61 utilizing a reinforced sand cast aluminum cylinder head and reinforced internal components. It features an 86 mm (3.39 in) bore and stroke and a 9.5:1 compression ratio. Power is 210 horsepower (160 kW) at 5300 rpm and 220 lb·ft (298 N·m) of torque at 2500 rpm. Maximum boost is 12.3 psi (0.85 bar).

* 2003–present Saab 9-3

It's basically the L61 destroked 2.2 with upgraded internals and a turbo. The turbo parts and manifold match up very well to the 2.2L L61 (which is what the OP was getting at anyway).

He asked a specific question and I answered it in a specific fashion. Yes the block is the same and that's about it.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:05 PM
and you are technically right that would be like saying did GM ever put the LD9 in the 95 Z24 the answer would be NO same thing, basicly he should have asked will a saab turbo work on an ecotec then we all could have said SEARCH instead

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, March 23, 2009 6:06 PM
Shifted wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

* 2003–present Saab 9-3

Should also mention that the swedes are crazy about ethanol, so it wouldn't be a surprise if the Saab version were also flex-fuel. Judging by that static-compression number, I'd guess it is.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Monday, March 23, 2009 8:06 PM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:
Shifted wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

* 2003–present Saab 9-3

Should also mention that the swedes are crazy about ethanol, so it wouldn't be a surprise if the Saab version were also flex-fuel. Judging by that static-compression number, I'd guess it is.

Saab has never made any flex fuel vehicle.

Monday, March 23, 2009 9:04 PM
(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:Saab has never made any flex fuel vehicle.

Not according to what I read a few years ago... Said they made more power with less total percentage of enrichment under moderate to heavy throttle compared to a gasoline engine.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".

Monday, March 23, 2009 10:46 PM
Ok, maybe they made a concept car or two, but they never made a production flex fuel vehicle.
And the AERO X concept they had was a JOKE. They brought that peice of crap to our dealership, lol, it had no suspension exhaust looked like crap, it was strait homemade @!#$ that spent most of the time in the bodyshop. One of the other techs heard the car idle into the showroom, he said it sounded like a 2.0l ecotec with a bad serpentine belt tensioner. /rant.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:51 PM
Where can I find a whole setup?
Basic to install on an L61 Cavy?

Buddy Club Ecotec Cavalier
* More to come *
Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:27 PM
Its what im doin
Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:28 PM
can find them in junk yard or a the classifieds section on the board

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:53 PM
Jay Corkit wrote:Where can I find a whole setup?
Basic to install on an L61 Cavy?

ur kidding right?

god man, i know youv'e been around long enough to search in teh boost forum. i mean, props for finding an old thread to use instead of making a new useless one, but seriously, a few quick minutes searching in teh boost forum and you wouldv'e found all the answers you could need.

Saturday, January 22, 2011 7:31 AM
Im doing the saab turbo in spring i already have the manifold.... its just a tdo4 14 or 15 t depending on if you use the B207L or the B207R..... i am going with the r turbo because its what i found to be more plentiful in my area... direct from a saab dealer the brand new turbo was only $600 so its really not a bad idea to buy a new turbo.... all you really need is the manifold and turbo and downpipe from th 03 and up 9-3 but you can use lsj FYI the supercharger tune is a pain in the ass to get someone that will do it.... been there done that now i use hpt.
Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:51 AM
The downpipe won't work from saab. You have to make it.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 4:16 PM
Not to knock the made in the USA attitude but the Ecotec engine was a mod of a Opel engine that has existed since the early 80's and the Saab Turbo engine was the basic for the LSJ.(note the bore and stroke,fellas)Hey, I don't blame you for starting your own thread as I'm having a hard time finding certain topics myself.
Sunday, January 30, 2011 4:50 PM
Ecotec, as offered in the USA, was all-new in 2002. While the "Ecotec" name had been used previously in Europe, the engine released here had not. Previous European Ecotecs were very different.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 11:03 AM
Isn't the Ecotec a progression of the old Pontiac 2.0 OHC that was also updated and used in the Daewoos as a 2.0 DOHC? Sorry if im just adding confusion here. Seems to me Ecotec is like v-tec just a name for technology on a bunch of different engines that aren't very similar. Like the 1.8 Chevy Aveo's/ Daewoo Ecotec is way different than the rest but similar to the new 1.4 Chevy Cruzs?

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 11:54 AM
No...

Bill the L61 is almost the same as the 2.2L Z22SE in other countries such as The United Kingdom and Australia.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 12:49 PM
Right you are, MD.

To all: This is a very informative webpage, and can help you better understand the intricacies of the Ecotec engine name:

Ecotec History

Within the info on this page, one can see that what we refer to as Ecotec in the USA was an all-new design for 2000, related to its predecessors in name only.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 1:49 PM
^^BHJr is indeed correct.
What's more I even have a picture that there is 1997-98 Sunfire GT with a prototype American Ecotec in it, I think it was S/C too.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search