Aem cai with gm sc ecotec questions. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Aem cai with gm sc ecotec questions.
Sunday, March 15, 2009 6:13 PM
So spring is coming soon and i'm about to switch my summer rims+tires and put back on my red aem cai. But since then I'm now gm sc'd.

One thing i'm wondering is that I drive a lot. Through a lot of rain aswell. I've noticed my filter last year got wet and soaked with water, it even stayed soaked for the rest of the day and sometimes the next. Question is does this hurt performance? Is it harder for air to get through a wet cai filter, or will it hurt the engine since it's sc'd and will suck a lot more air then it was before?

Depending on the answer should I buy a WAI and keep the filter in the engine bay (less wetness) . Or is modifying my current CAI (by cutting and putting on a rubber elbow i assume?) the better way to go...

Re: Aem cai with gm sc ecotec questions.
Sunday, March 15, 2009 7:24 PM
Also could I use this http://www.sciontist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id=100001595 to make a modified aem cai?
Sunday, March 15, 2009 7:39 PM
if i were you i would relocate my battery to the trunk and use the space where the battery was for a cone filter.
Monday, March 16, 2009 9:57 AM
Hmmmm I could try that but currently my trunk has 2 12's in it and a bunch of other thing's. Plus I noticed on these cars there is a big gap between the hood and front bumper where it's supposed to sit, and whenever it has rained i notice water has come through and the battery is wet.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:20 PM
my battery has never gotten wet besides when the hood was opened and it rained. i agree that battery relocation may be your best bet. however if you decide agains it do what i did. set your finter up behind the battery inside a small aluminum box and instead of having it just sit there and collect hot air route a PVC pipe from behind your bumper (or other cold air spot of your choosing) and keep the end of it about an inch away from the filter in the aluminum box. cold air comes in, hot air stays out filter stays dry.

or perhaps your filter left the car, went to the YMCA swimming and jumped back in before you noticed. mine used to all the time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike wrote:The auto to manual swap is not as involved as you would think.
Get all the parts you need in a pile, and drive the car into it.
They will find their way into the correct places.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:35 PM
Haha, good advice, I'm just a little threatened by the complexity (i don't have the skill) to relocated the battery
But might look into it if I can't find another way to make the AEM CAI work.

But about the filter again...If it's soaked (like a tampon) will it affect performance? I notice mine stays wet for about a day after it has rained hard. (I drive a LOT, and through some insane rain)
Friday, March 20, 2009 1:32 PM
It most likely won't make a difference unless your car is like drinking the water. Over time I'm sure it isn't good for your engine though. Get a guard.

Friday, March 20, 2009 5:23 PM
Okay cool if it don't affect performance then it's all good. I will look into getting those under front bumper plastic peices fixed (mine are ripped) to see if it helps keep the filter dry.

On another note I heard somewhere that a little bit of water in the engine is like a steam cleaner that helps clean it a bit, any truth to this or is it just plain sillyness?
Friday, March 20, 2009 11:27 PM
I dont think steamed water is gonna clean oil or carbon. when your engine is parked for a day or two the oil will get water in it. eventually itll evaporate.
Monday, March 23, 2009 12:09 PM
is it possible to get hydrolock is you drive through enough rain?
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:22 AM
No. If you have the filter right where it is directly getting rained on. Yes.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search