Resonator Question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Resonator Question
Friday, March 13, 2009 9:47 AM
I got my Vibrant Cat Back put on last week. I also bought a 18" resonator to go on as well. However the shop I took it too said it was too long and they wouldn't put it on. After a week with the catback, I want that resonator. So is it true that it won't fit?

Re: Resonator Question
Friday, March 13, 2009 9:57 AM
Go to a different place I had a similar encounter with an unwilling shop,I asked a shop if they would make me a full 2.5" header back exhaust and they said it wouldn't fit.HAHAHA I told him if its possible for a bunch of boosted guys to put 3" all the way back then you my friend don't know what your doing.Just go to a different shop they are retards.I have a 22" resonator on mine so your should fit no problem.

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq
Friday, March 13, 2009 10:47 AM
They may have thought something like the shop that did my exhaust - I had a header, cat, and Megan catback installed, and I had a resonator to be installed too. However...I didn't tell them that I meant for them to cut part of the catback out and install the resonator in there - they thought that I meant for them to fit it in somewhere between the header and the catback (with the cat). Obviously, there isn't enough room in there for it. It might be as simple as you telling them that you want them to cut a section of the catback out and put the resonator in - they may not realize that's what you mean. (The shop that did mine wasn't thinking that, as soon as I mentioned that, they said that wouldn't have been a problem, but they'd installed everything without it and had me decide if I wanted the resonator in. Well, I still don't have it in, maybe I should...)

Of course if that's not it and they still won't do it, then yes, they're blowing smoke up your ass. There's room, they just don't want to do it, take it somewhere else.
Friday, March 13, 2009 10:57 AM
I have an 18 inch resonator on my Cav

Friday, March 13, 2009 11:06 AM
I explained to them that I wanted them to cut a section out, they said it wouldn't fit without removing the cat ... maybe they still didn't understand. Thanks though, now to find a different shop.
Friday, March 13, 2009 1:16 PM
Different shop...my 22" fits fine right behind my cat and before the 90 degree bend...if you go larger than that, then yes you need move the cat forward.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 10:21 PM
Alright thanks guys, I'm going to take it in Monday.
Sunday, March 15, 2009 2:11 PM
i just installed a turbo muffler on my car today and it has that raspy sound so im planning on installing a resonator. the exhaust is all stock except for the muffler, so my question is what size do i need? like diameter and length? thanks.
Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:45 PM
the inlet/outlet diamter you are looking for is 1 and 7/8" but you won't find a resonator in with inlet/outlet diameters of that size. So you will have to find a resonator that as a 2" inlet/outlet diameter and either buy an exhaust reducer piece or get a shop to fab up a piece of pipe to make it fit. Its a simple job for any exhaust shop that does custom work. As for length....go for 18" or bigger....in this case you can go up to 22" right after the cat...if you go bigger than that you will need to move your cat forward.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search