2.3 Phenolic Flanges - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3 Phenolic Flanges
Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:40 PM
Is there anyone that would need a 2.3-2.3 phenolic flange? Would it be worth it for me to make them?

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/

Re: 2.3 Phenolic Flanges
Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:18 PM
What about a thin ecotec one for those with the GMSC?

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:25 PM
I would. Im thinking of putting a 2.4 in my 95 Z24, and I have alot HO parts.

Life is to short 4 bulls#*$.
Willpower is no match 4 horsepower!
Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:17 AM
why on gods green earth would you defile a 95 z24 by putting a 2.4 in it ??

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:11 AM
I can make an eco one. Got a pic of the gasket.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:00 AM
Parts are alot easier to find for one. That and it seems that when I ask people about adapters people just all me a newbie, and tell me to read the forums. Beleave me I would rather keep my 2.3 and make it as BAD@$$ as I can. But I am new to J's and without help its hard to learn what to do.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:23 AM
Raptorws9 wrote:Parts are alot easier to find for one. That and it seems that when I ask people about adapters people just all me a newbie, and tell me to read the forums. Beleave me I would rather keep my 2.3 and make it as BAD@$$ as I can. But I am new to J's and without help its hard to learn what to do.

You dont need adaptors...the oldr 2.3s and newer 2.4s bolt in the same. you can make more power out of a 2.4(its prooven) but you need to spend a lot more money and do the 2.3 oil pump swap. Other wise just put a pre 95 2.3 into the car that already hadthe good oiling system. parts are readily available for both engines.

As for the origioal post a 2.3 pheniolic spacer would be nice as well as a 2.4-2.3 adaptor flange. I think the adaoptor flange would sell good. And this is just wishful thinking lol but a steel 2.3 intake manifold fange would be sweet.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:35 AM
Quote:

you can make more power out of a 2.4(its prooven) but you need to spend a lot more money

i would have to disagree with the above statement...exactly how was it proven?? and why would it cost more money ??

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:53 AM
^^^^ the only thing that really 'remains' '2.4' after making it a beast is the .1 of displacement.

lg0 > ld9

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:13 AM
scott (section8cav) wrote:
Quote:

you can make more power out of a 2.4(its prooven) but you need to spend a lot more money

i would have to disagree with the above statement...exactly how was it proven?? and why would it cost more money ??

I think it was speedracerz that dynoed his 2.4 with like 8.5-1 compression, 2.4 head, 2.3 oil pump swap, i think he used a 95 intake cam and a HO exhaust cam, and he had 172 whp. this was before he added boost. i specifically remeber reading this although it was years ago. But that being said the 2.4 made just 8 less horsepower at the wheels than the HO makes at the crank with a lesser flowing head, smaller cams, and way less compression. A 2.4 would cost more than the 2.3 because by the time you got a 2.4, sourced the oil pump parts, had the machining done, got some cams, an 086 head and pistons to match the head youve spent more than if you just found a used HO. at this point both would still need bearings, rings, gaskets, etc. If you had both engnes with same oiling system, head, cams, compression, etc id bet lots of money the 2.4 would have higher numbers....these engnes like stroke!

However I think your engine is the best route. The torquey stroke of a 2.4 and a nice big bore of a 2.3. but that is even more pricey lol.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:42 AM
man... your comparing apples to oranges. the lg0's 180 hp is STOCK. brian's numbers were with a heavily modifed 2.4. and honestly... can you even call it a 2.4 anymore? it had a 2.3 oil pump system and 2.3 cams as well as a 2.3 intake manifold. so basically it as well ALL of the "LD9" whp record holders ALL have 2.3 parts helping them to get the numbers.

and his intake cam was NOT a 95 2.3... it was a miller peformance modified LD2 (lo 2.3) cam. not much of a difference i know but its as much as a difference as the difference between stock and the 95.

im telling you... the only thing the ld9 has over the lg0 is .1 more of displacement. the only way an ld9 becomes as good as they have is because of the 2.3 parts that have been installed in/on them.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:12 PM
Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:43 PM
Sorry should have just said "i want a set"!!!

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:04 PM
OEM wrote:Is there anyone that would need a 2.3-2.3 phenolic flange? Would it be worth it for me to make them?

If by 2.3 you mean LGO, there is already a company that sells them on here/quad4forums.com His name is NukkinFuttz (shawn)

Quadper4mance

I'm not trying to knock on your company or idea, just giving you a heads up that this part is already available.

A couple ideas of parts that aren't THAT readily available for quads or LD9's would be a HO replica intake manifold, and a turbo header.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:12 PM
Zs Z wrote:

I think it was speedracerz that dynoed his 2.4 with like 8.5-1 compression, 2.4 head, 2.3 oil pump swap, i think he used a 95 intake cam and a HO exhaust cam, and he had 172 whp. this was before he added boost. i specifically remeber reading this although it was years ago. But that being said the 2.4 made just 8 less horsepower at the wheels than the HO makes at the crank with a lesser flowing head, smaller cams, and way less compression. A 2.4 would cost more than the 2.3 because by the time you got a 2.4, sourced the oil pump parts, had the machining done, got some cams, an 086 head and pistons to match the head youve spent more than if you just found a used HO. at this point both would still need bearings, rings, gaskets, etc. If you had both engnes with same oiling system, head, cams, compression, etc id bet lots of money the 2.4 would have higher numbers....these engnes like stroke!

However I think your engine is the best route. The torquey stroke of a 2.4 and a nice big bore of a 2.3. but that is even more pricey lol.

Other then the lower compression, .01 less lift, and 10* less duration, he had a HO spec Built motor.

To me, LG0>LD9, HOWEVER Brian will be the first to say LD9>LG0.
But yes, it was\is mean.

IMO, the spacer is well worth it. Both Team GREEN W41's have them, as did Brian's LD9.

OEM, did you post this on Quad4forums?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:22 PM
Nope. Just was told by another member that it might be a good idea to make these. I had no idea they were available.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:31 PM
The ones that Brian and I got for the W41's was a limited run, I do not think there around any more.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:38 PM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:The ones that Brian and I got for the W41's was a limited run, I do not think there around any more.

Chris

Are we talking the adapters to fit a HO mani on an LD9 head?

OR

just the phenolic SPACER for the HO mani on an 086 head?

if it's the spacer, read my post 4 posts up.

NukkinFuttz (Shawn) makes them, lazer cut.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:38 PM
im interested in one is you can offer them at a better deal. I really dont consider these as adaptor flanges for the 2.4 either since you still need to modify the ports on the manifold. BUT....they are useful to decrease heat on the match between the manifold and head.

I like where the topic of LG0 versus LD9 was going....someone make another thread on that subject so we can apply our experienced opinions!

GMR has got nothing on this
Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:50 PM
a better deal?!!?!? he's giving them away, man!!

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:56 PM
Thrice . wrote:
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:The ones that Brian and I got for the W41's was a limited run, I do not think there around any more.

Chris

Are we talking the adapters to fit a HO mani on an LD9 head?

OR

just the phenolic SPACER for the HO mani on an 086 head?

if it's the spacer, read my post 4 posts up.

NukkinFuttz (Shawn) makes them, lazer cut.

Quote:

The ones that Brian and I got for the W41's was a limited run, I do not think there around any more.

Why would we put a LD9 head on a W41?

Shawn is where i got mine from, i was under the impression he didn't have any more.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:06 PM
he doesn't. you need to find one already floating around...

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:23 PM
damn am i ever glad i got in on the sh!t a year ago lol

Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:36 AM
Then the answer is YES OEM make them because the other source isn't making them anymore, and as a person who is building a hybrid 2.3/2.4 I will definately need one.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search