LD9 or L61??????? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LD9 or L61???????
Sunday, March 08, 2009 5:27 PM
ok so i have a 97 z24, i was in the process of taking the head off today (blown head gasket...) when i remembered the potential, not to mention the reliablility of the L61. i cant seem to make up my mind on whether or not to do the swap, so anyone who would like to give their two cents would be more than welcome...

Re: LD9 or L61???????
Sunday, March 08, 2009 5:37 PM
Save yourself some money and time and just put a new headgasket on the 2.4.And while your at it maybe resurface the head while your at it.just my 2 cents.

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq
Sunday, March 08, 2009 5:46 PM
well see, i like the ld9 dont get me wrong, but the aftermarket support for the l61 is way better. also it wouldnt cost me much to drop in an l61
Sunday, March 08, 2009 5:59 PM
considering your car is a 97, it would cost way too much to do the eco swap. you would end up being a lot better off just getting a 03+ and swapping the interchangable parts over, i.e. suspension @!#$ and misc exterior/interior crap.

Sunday, March 08, 2009 6:31 PM
The after market isn't THAT much larger. Don't get me wrong, it is bigger, but not by much.

Most of the parts you see on the JBO used for the L61 are custom parts anyways (i.e. Log manis, tubular headers) which you'd have to be made custom regardless for the LD9.

More parts for the LD9 you can get from the older gen Quad4's like the HO or W41 cams with a little modification.

If you really wanna run an L61, you could go stand alone to run the engine and the factory ecu to run everything else. I'm not 100%sure on that, but it sounds plausible

Sunday, March 08, 2009 7:11 PM
obviously the LD9.

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Sunday, March 08, 2009 7:21 PM
LS1.

.... Oh, that wasn't an option....

LG0!..

.....hmm, didn't see that either.....

4 Hours of work, and get it back running

reliability of the L61.... rather have a blown head gasket then a sleeve that meet the crank shaft.

actually have a L61 at work right now as a core that had that happen to it, (I say now, becuase I sent all the others, with the same problem { not counting the other problems} back to GM, 3 so far.)

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, March 08, 2009 8:52 PM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:LS1.

LG0!..

reliability of the L61.... rather have a blown head gasket then a sleeve that meet the crank shaft.

actually have a L61 at work right now as a core that had that happen to it, (I say now, becuase I sent all the others, with the same problem { not counting the other problems} back to GM, 3 so far.)

Chris

I've personally have had 3 l61's, tuned 3, Worked on atleast 10 at the old garage with 100k+, and have ATLEAST 15 buddies running them in cars ranging from Js to Deltas and Never have I seen any of the incidents you claim to have seen in all of your L61 hate post besides one timing chain failure.... if he wants an L61 let him have one get over yourself and your high and mighty Quad 4 engines.... How many of your Mighty Ld9's have fallen to the infamous Oil pump failure?
Just to throw some mud since you like to do it so frequent, I don't see any 1400+ hp Ld9s or any Quad 4 motor.... hmmmmm

To be frank your a f |_| c kin Loser.... take your stock ass Goat back over to the Ls forums to troll where you belong.

Sunday, March 08, 2009 9:42 PM

Next time would you like me to take pictures of it?

Or how about this, ask one of your eco brother'n Wrenchmonkey if i am am telling the truth or not.

Some people's kids.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, March 08, 2009 9:46 PM
LN2 FTW.

that is all.

Sunday, March 08, 2009 9:58 PM
K. Vega..Mr. M62 L61 himself. wrote:
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:LS1.

LG0!..

Chris

I've personally have had 3 l61's, tuned 3, Worked on atleast 10 at the old garage with 100k+, and have ATLEAST 15 buddies running them in cars ranging from Js to Deltas and Never have I seen any of the incidents you claim to have seen in all of your L61 hate post besides one timing chain failure.... if he wants an L61 let him have one get over yourself and your high and mighty Quad 4 engines.... How many of your Mighty Ld9's have fallen to the infamous Oil pump failure?
Just to throw some mud since you like to do it so frequent, I don't see any 1400+ hp Ld9s or any Quad 4 motor.... hmmmmm

To be frank your a f |_| c kin Loser.... take your stock ass Goat back over to the Ls forums to troll where you belong.

hum, 1990 - 180hp from the 2.3
1991 - 190hp from the W41

Plus and world speed record.

16 years later, what you call a better reliable engine, is snapping chains without abuse, can't take high power without puking the oil pump gear (seriously, how lame is that), sleeves are falling in the engine, stock rods that, from what I read, can't handle over 300hp, ... Should I continu. And the cherry on the sunday, 145hp.

Yep, one hell of a reliable engine. Keep you head in your but because reality may be too hard for your little mind.

The Eco is not and will NOT be the best 4 cyl Gm ever made. It is not more reliable than a quad yet most people owning them claim it's gods gift to earth.

May I remind you that I came out with all those problems for an engine that is 6 years old. The Quad was born in 88 and lived untill 2002.

Honestly, if you think the Eco is the best motor, you live under a rock. It's on the same level as the 2.3, 2.4, 3.1, 3.4 and 3.8. If you can't make power with an engine, it's not the engines fault, it's you that s... too much.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, March 08, 2009 10:06 PM
Quote:

Oil pump failure?

Better get your fact straight before calling you a retard. You are the retard on this one sicne the quad made 1200hp 16 years ago. Want me to dig it up? Nah, not worth it since you were so much of a retard on your comment that you probably wouldn't understnad the article or you wouldn't be able to read it.

And to had fuel to the fire, I never had a problem with my bearings, my oil pump or my water pump. The things that broked on my quad were things I broked. God knows I was hard on my Ho and it always lived. I have some experience on my quad that I know an Eco can't take but you wouldn't believe me.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, March 08, 2009 11:58 PM
They all suck. Go vtec. LOL.

Monday, March 09, 2009 12:49 AM
i like this thread!

eco ftw!

Monday, March 09, 2009 5:09 AM
speaking of eco problems....i keep getting these damn ecotecs in that are "mysteriously losing coolant " .. seems they develope a magical internal coolant leak ?? whats that about ? .. ive just been replacing the whole engine , any idea whats going with that chris?

Monday, March 09, 2009 5:36 AM
2.4/2.3 L > 2.2 L

bigger is better.

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Monday, March 09, 2009 6:35 AM
Mfk-223 wrote:
Quote:

Oil pump failure?

Better get your fact straight before calling you a retard. You are the retard on this one sicne the quad made 1200hp 16 years ago. Want me to dig it up? Nah, not worth it since you were so much of a retard on your comment that you probably wouldn't understnad the article or you wouldn't be able to read it.

And to had fuel to the fire, I never had a problem with my bearings, my oil pump or my water pump. The things that broked on my quad were things I broked. God knows I was hard on my Ho and it always lived. I have some experience on my quad that I know an Eco can't take but you wouldn't believe me.

#1 I said 1400+ re read

#2 Don't get it twisted I'm not claiming an eco to be the end all be all because it obviously isn't, I'm simply saying don't bag on an eco like they are garbage because they aren't, I was pointing out issues Quads have as well since ppl act as if the ecos have issues out the ass ALL GENERAL MOTORS PRODUCTS HAVE ISSUES hence their "Cheap American Quality" badge that they carry around.

# 3 just like your oil pump never failed, congrats your motor didn't fail on you, neither did my ecotec.

#4 Imported Inline 4's have @!#$ all over American inline 4's for the longest and still will.

#5 point out hp ratings all you want ecos still run faster times with less hp.

#6 You suck as well.

fyi, I can't be that retarded if I can maintain a 3.5 gpa while studying Mechanical and Civil Engineering with 19 credits a semester

If you still have hope in a tired ass Beretta you must be the retard...

Monday, March 09, 2009 6:36 AM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:

Next time would you like me to take pictures of it?

Or how about this, ask one of your eco brother'n Wrenchmonkey if i am am telling the truth or not.

Some people's kids.

Chris

I would like a picture tho if possible.

Monday, March 09, 2009 7:41 AM
Quote:

#4 Imported Inline 4's have @!#$ all over American inline 4's for the longest and still will.

#5 point out hp ratings all you want ecos still run faster times with less hp.

you sir sound like you need to just go buy a honda and get it over with....havnt seen ANY import 4cyl thats any better than an american one.

from what i can tell on this site the quad family engines not only hold the top NA hp ratings but also the fastest NA 1/4 times

and im not calling you retarded......but we dont wanna hear about how well your doing in school STUDYING about engines, while WE have been out here building and repairing them for years

Monday, March 09, 2009 7:51 AM
lol 1. Not just engines, this isn't any UTI bull@!#$, I'm deeper than that ex. Thermodynamicsand Fluid Mechanics. *google it if you must*

2. you've never seen any import inline fours that arent any betteR? lmao go open your eyes then buddy and stop being bias.

3. Lets see I've built 1 eco, 3 4g63s, 2 b16/b20, 1 stock rebuild on a 3800, and those are just myself for fun not to mention all of the times helping my dad with his good ol 454s and what not and the countless northstars that use to come into the shop I worked at, Get your facts straight buddy and I wasn't speaking to you so just sit back and watch the post.

Monday, March 09, 2009 7:55 AM
You haven't seen any import inline 4s that @!#$ all over Dodge and Fords 4 bangers left and right? lol your smoking something and its not tobacco, with out the Quad or Eco gm would be right inline as well to get shat on when it comes to domestic Inline Fours of the 90s vs import inline Fours of the 90s.

I like Gm just like you but no need to @!#$ here and bull @!#$ just to favor your company be serious...

Monday, March 09, 2009 8:46 AM
.....Yup. They all suck. Vtec.

Monday, March 09, 2009 9:01 AM
they don't SUCK no motors suck unless your a mazda protege motor then yes you do suck. lol

Monday, March 09, 2009 9:48 AM
scott (section8cav) wrote:
Quote:

from what i can tell on this site the quad family engines not only hold the top NA hp ratings but also the fastest NA 1/4 times

and im not calling you retarded......but we dont wanna hear about how well your doing in school STUDYING about engines, while WE have been out here building and repairing them for years

Um, ecotec has the highest hp on this site, as well as more entries on the top 15 hp list. Its all good tho, not like there hasnt been a ecotec vs ld9 fight on here.

Monday, March 09, 2009 10:11 AM
more entries ?? lmao ...what? 1 more ? besides..i said NA ..not boosted...if you actually READ that list youll see MY name on it, right at #2 on ld9 na...which just happens to be higher than #1 on the eco na list...and if you want i can slap some boost on mine and easily hit the top 15 list......that should offset that ONE extra ecotec

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search