Unorthodox pulley question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Unorthodox pulley question
Monday, January 05, 2009 8:03 PM
Can anyone tell me if the Unorthodox crank pulley is the same size as the stock harmonic balancer or will I need a new belt. Might actually get a chance to do my cams this weekend and I figure that while I have the balancer off I would replace it with the underdrive. Thanx in advance.

Re: Unorthodox pulley question
Monday, January 05, 2009 8:08 PM
no, smaller.

Monday, January 05, 2009 9:10 PM
Was afraid of that. Thanx

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 3:21 AM
Copy of install PDF from Unorthadox Racing.
Click Me
FYI....Uses Gates belt K050450

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, January 06, 2009 6:33 AM
Thank you MD.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 9:07 AM
Your welcome....if you have any questions feel free to ask. My phone number is on the ohio j-body site.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, January 06, 2009 1:18 PM
Is there a chance that I will run into the same problem that "the01cav" is running into with the jtune pulley causing low volts through the alternator? MD - the install page on Unorthodox website says that I should be equipped with a steel sleeve that the oil seal rides. I bought my pulley on ebay almost 2 years ago and all that the seller sent me was the pulley itself. Do you have any ideas how I might remedy this or should I just contact Unorthodox? Thanx again

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 3:30 AM
Yes, you could run into problems at idle. Got a pick of the snout end of the pulley?

Are your sure its an unorthodox pulley and not a OBX rip off?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, January 07, 2009 7:30 AM
^^^ yeah no crap. OBX is good for leaving out the small details THAT MATTER.

ef why eye... its not a 'balancer'. the engine is internally balanced. its just a crank pulley, something to drive the accessories.

and to comment on the power drain issue... most have the issues while using BOTH underdrive pulleys. a lot get away with using just the crank pulley without an issue. another thing to point out is if your car is fully loaded with every option than it MAY have issues. if not than i am almost 100% positive it will be just fine. headlights are going to dim at idle though no matter what, thats just a given.

Are you scared of the changes coming? The answer is on the inside.
Wednesday, January 07, 2009 7:46 AM
Its Unorthodox. Just called it a balancer cuz that is whay its called in Haynes manual. I know its just a pulley. And my car does have all power options. I guess worst case senerio is that if I have power issues then I just go back to stock. Thanx for the input tho

[/img]

I think I need to fix the date on my camera

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 11:43 AM
It seems to have the sleeve. You can kinda tell by the difference in colors where the different metals meet.

PRND321 Till I DIE

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 12:33 PM
I think you are right. I checked it with a magnet and the mag sticks to the surface that rides the seal and around the snout. Thanx so much. Would have never even thought to check that if you wouldn't have said something. Now to get the belt and get this thing on my car.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 12:45 PM
well you can slide it on the crank, if its all sorts of wobbly than obviously it aint got it.

that'd be another way to check.

Are you scared of the changes coming? The answer is on the inside.
Wednesday, January 07, 2009 1:37 PM
Yeah, I'll figure it out. Thanx sirs

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search