pacesetter header painting - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
pacesetter header painting
Wednesday, December 31, 2008 1:41 PM
i got the armor coated header on the way and heard its best to sand off the old paint and bake ceramic paint on, so what should i use:
duplicolor engin paint
VHT ceramic silica paint
BBQ grill paint (heard it was strong stuff)

also do i paint inside the header?

Kill list:03 eclipse, 06 GTO, 04 Mach 1 Mustang

Re: pacesetter header painting
Wednesday, December 31, 2008 3:57 PM
Duplicolor engine paint. All are suitable though.

I would try to get it sandblasted if at all possible. Sanding that type of paint off will not be easy. Make sure your surface is smooth before you paint or it will most likely make your paint pretty coarse too.

And no.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:01 PM
Engine paint wont work! LOL I found out the hard way. Started the car up and about a minute later a cloud of smoke was coming from the header lol.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:12 PM
How would it not work? Its made for engines. 500+ degrees F

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:15 PM
exhaust gasses are about 1500*. also: if you got the armour coated one (the more expensive) just put it on. if you got the cheap painted one: sell it and get the armour coated one.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:46 PM
If you got the Armor Coated one then leave it as it is, that is the ceramic coated header. I f you got the regular black painted one, send it out to Jet-Hot coatings and get it ceramic coated, or use VHT High Temp Coating. If you use the VHT, you must strip all the factory paint off, it's regular paint to keep the metal from rusting. Thoroughly cleaned and degrease (Prep-Sol works great) the header and spray the header as directed and cure the coating as per the directions. I've had my header on for almost four years with no rust. A couple of times I've had to touch up a couple of small scratches with a spot of spray and the engine heat can cure those. Of course I live in Central Florida and we don't get snow nor salted roads. If you live in the "Snow Belt", just get the Armor Coat.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 5:40 PM
well i got the cheap black painted one, so ill have a friend sand blast it then ill use the vht paint

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:51 PM
JET-HOT FTW
permanently shiny silver

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Thursday, January 01, 2009 8:04 PM
anyone know about how much they charge, ive tried contacting them since monday and havent heard back

Friday, January 02, 2009 7:31 AM
Jet-Hot isn't the only company that does coatings. I entered "ceramic exhaust coatings" on my search engine and came up with more companies that you could imagine. Just take you pick. The sites that do list pricing generally start at $115 for a shorties 4 cylinder header, with the average of about $150. Most do inside and outside.

Friday, January 02, 2009 9:05 PM
too much for me to have it coated right now so im gonna go with the vht after sand blastin it, so any ideas on a color thinking flat red, flat black, or silver?

Saturday, January 03, 2009 3:10 AM
I just tries to go to the old VHT Paints' web-site , only to find PJ1 Products, Inc. sold VHT to Dupli-Color Inc., A Sherwin-Williams Company. I just hope they don't try to replace VHT's formula with the Dupli-Color High Temp Paint, That cr@p flaked right off, the fist time I started the car.

According to Dupli-Color's web-site the VHT brand will remain the same, let's just hope so.

Saturday, January 03, 2009 8:38 AM
yea i spent all last night reading up on it and vht is the cheapest way to go that works...now help me pick a color

Saturday, January 03, 2009 9:44 AM
What color is the car and trim colors, if different? What colors is the engine dressed out in? What kind of look are you after? In other words, only you can really decide what you want.

White, Black, Blue, Red, Silver, Gray, Orange, Clear, Aluminum, Almond and White Primer. Your choice. (I didn't see green though? )

I know the flat black turns to a graphite/charcoal grey.

Saturday, January 03, 2009 1:30 PM
car is red, rims black, valve cover black or polished (got 2) so im goin with red and see how it turns out, i can always go back to black

Saturday, January 03, 2009 3:46 PM
i still say sell it and get the armour coated... it not only looks great, but hugely reduces the underhood temps. paint cant do that.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, January 05, 2009 4:14 AM
Paint ...VHT... only lasted about 5 minutes on my header.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, January 05, 2009 5:28 AM
Yep, save and do it right the first time.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, January 06, 2009 6:03 PM
wish i could but i ordered over a week ago and need a new header yesterday

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 8:18 PM
Just curious. How high of a temp can powdercoating handle?

The Outlaw
98 Pontiac Sunfire (Christine)
2200 5spd
Red with Black racing stripes.

Don't let the punks get to you. If they can't say anything helpful its because they probably
have VERY LITTLE IF ANY MECHANICAL SKILLS . Talking crap is just their way of hiding that
fact. They figure the more crap they say the less likley anyone will know how dumb they are.
Monday, January 19, 2009 10:28 PM
so i followed the instruction with the vht paint bakin it and here it is after being on for over a week drivin about 70 miles a day highway and thru traffic, also painted the valve cover with duplicolor, the polished one is away for the winter. nuffin chipped or burned off yet, a small spot got scratched off while i was installin

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:47 AM
Looks good. I had an idea that the color wouldn't be quite as intense, but still looks good. Not that you can see much back there unless you try to.

Even the painted VC and IDI cover go well.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 10:41 PM
are you running a grounding kit, if so which one?

Monday, August 03, 2009 4:49 AM
Loc sold his car, but i do not believe he was running a grounding kit.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search