1995 Sunfire Intake HItting my Hood?? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1995 Sunfire Intake HItting my Hood??
Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:30 PM
Okay well, I buaght an intake off Ebay, i put it on and all seems okay, although it seems to be sitting up higher like it doesnt totaly clear the PCV on the crankcase and it seems that the hood may be sitting on it? and now i have some nice brake pedal vibrations when im stopped and even when i hit the gas at first theres like a clicking and vibration feeling in the gas pedal. Could it be that my intake is not alowing my engine to move thus its hitting the hood and im feeling in my pedals? car still runs perfectly fine though.

Re: 1995 Sunfire Intake HItting my Hood??
Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:47 PM
got any pics so we can see what its doing may have it mounted incorrectly or its not accualy for that motor

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:51 PM
^^ yep, get some pics, and prolly fill out your profile so we can see the year/make/model and engine size, that will help out a lot.

Monday, December 15, 2008 12:36 AM
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr246/holyhit2/ehxuast001.jpg
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr246/holyhit2/ehxuast002.jpg
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr246/holyhit2/ehxuast003.jpg

LIke ive said before im not in it for cosmetics and i screwed up first time around, drilled in the wrong hole so i figured ill just use electrical tape to cover the hole meh. It looks like its in the right spot, but i dont know,
Monday, December 15, 2008 12:40 AM
mayby shorten the Manifold inlet hose and change nipples? just kinda saw tha now lol, i dont think it needs to be that big
Monday, December 15, 2008 2:20 AM
i had the same problem with my intake that i got off of ebay. i basically took a rubber mallet and put a dent in it where it was hitting the nipple on the valve cover. it allowed it to sit lower so it wasn't rubbing on my hood anymore.

out of curiosity... why don't you have the AIT sensor hooked up? the one nipple on the intake gets hooked up to the valve cover, the other is for the AIT plug.

Monday, December 15, 2008 8:24 AM
If your talking about the Idle air Control that you pull outta the OEm intake i do have it hooked up i drilled a hole on the backside and inserted it directly into the tube. its near the end kinda whwree you see the second ring of tape
Monday, December 15, 2008 10:08 AM
same problem as in you could feel vibrations in your brake pedal beucase of it? or just that it was hitting the hood? becuase when i my car i can feel/hear a light thud and i tihnk its the intake hitting the hood
Monday, December 15, 2008 10:29 AM
Robert Fielding wrote:If your talking about the Idle air Control that you pull outta the OEm intake i do have it hooked up i drilled a hole on the backside and inserted it directly into the tube. its near the end kinda whwree you see the second ring of tape

no, thats the IAT sensor (not AIT)
the IAC is in the throttle body itself.

Monday, December 15, 2008 10:37 AM
ahh gotcha, well my IAT sensor is located on the back where i drilled a hole and placed it in,
Monday, December 15, 2008 1:21 PM
PVC?? there is no PCV. there is a valve cover vent outlet to the intake.

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.

Monday, December 15, 2008 1:24 PM
ok youve got the old 2200. maybe there is a PCV. but basicaly that is a rediculous intake. u get what u pay for. ditch it.

but who ever said about the AIT, im pretty sure the old 2200 didnt have one to begin with

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.
Monday, December 15, 2008 3:16 PM
^^ you're an idiot. shut up.

if you do some trimming of the intake itself, you can get it to fit properly, I have a very similar one and I ended up having the filter come out right at the front of the battery closer to the rad. I'm considering getting a new one quite soon though as this one is somewhat beat up, lol.

Monday, December 15, 2008 5:28 PM
Brad, do you mean that i should cut it? like say cut some off of the filter side so have it come out more infront of the battery? the intake is not fully posistioned either because if i had it to fit up with the engine flush than the filter would sit on the battery lol. so im basically using that rubber conector as an extension of the pipe to allow me to turn the pipe more. it looks like i would have to cut off like 4 inches of pipe to gt it to fit infront of the battery. i would b edrawing tons of hotter air from there though right? i know i dont get much cold air where its at but colder then if it was infront of the batterY?
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:17 AM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:
Robert Fielding wrote:If your talking about the Idle air Control that you pull outta the OEm intake i do have it hooked up i drilled a hole on the backside and inserted it directly into the tube. its near the end kinda whwree you see the second ring of tape

no, thats the IAT sensor (not AIT)
the IAC is in the throttle body itself.

yeah, i realized later that i got the letters mixed up, lol. oops. that's what i meant.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:13 PM
ok well this is my thinking now, im thinking that i might just put the stock air tube back on and put my cone filter on the end, i know the stock tube is less in diamater thus less air etc, but it fits lol, i know there is another thread with the cheap warm air intake setup like this, i think i might just go that route. it should still be better that stock considering it would be a highflow filter and is able to grab air from everywhere unlike the factory box that cant?
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:29 PM
Brad wrote:^^ you're an idiot. shut up.

if you do some trimming of the intake itself, you can get it to fit properly, I have a very similar one and I ended up having the filter come out right at the front of the battery closer to the rad. I'm considering getting a new one quite soon though as this one is somewhat beat up, lol.

gonna have to agree with brad here you are and idiot and shut up

see if you can trim some off the side that mounts to the Throttle body to get the pipe to the other side of the PCV. if you wanna get a little more into it get a 90 or 45 elbow from any palce that sells intakes i know vibrant makes the pipe but get one of those and attach it and turn that filter down .

or upgrade to an K&N filter but buy one with a small angel on the end to turn down the filter so it doesn't hit

some intakes need to be have a bracket to stop them from moving around the 2.4 has it you might wanna get one welded on and fasten it to the motor then the pipe wont move

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:09 PM
Just do this.... turn the intake down like in the pics. It will take ya 2 min.

Friday, December 19, 2008 1:03 AM
skar i will loook into doing that, my question is where is your blue hose connecting?
Friday, December 19, 2008 1:47 AM
It's cuz it's a cheap ebay intake. You'll have that.

Monday, December 22, 2008 8:26 PM
thanks for the help everyone, kar i tried your style but it wouldnt fit right i would have to cut it, plus my alarm siren is mounted in the way and i have the big 3 wire setup in my way, so i just put on my stock air tube and jammed the filter on the end and bam no more vibrations... amazing lol, im thinking on buying a new filter though cuz i kinda damaged the one i got a bit, and im not sure how much it would affect performace, any ideas of filters that arent too pricey?

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:46 AM
have you done anything as far as a new filter yet? Can't go wrong with a K&N cone...

Did I mention I drive a 2000 Lumina now?-----wigm-tuners.org member
Sunday, January 25, 2009 8:31 PM
i have some intake pieces ill sell ya that was on my 95 2.2 that puts the filter in the bumper! i just got a new intake and dont need this anymore
Monday, January 26, 2009 4:16 PM
if he doesnt want it i may be interested, shoot me a pm with a $

Sunday, February 01, 2009 3:53 AM
you can buy a longer silicone piece that goues on the tb, then this should give you the movement you need.

mine just has a less extreme bend.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search