polyurethane motor mount help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
polyurethane motor mount help
Friday, December 12, 2008 12:30 PM
hello, a few months ago i installed the red polyurethane upper motor mount ( i cant remember the brand). but after i installed it, i noticed my gas mileage went down signifigantly. is this normal? has anyone else had this problem? thanks.

Re: polyurethane motor mount help
Friday, December 12, 2008 12:30 PM
btw its a 97 sunfire 2.2 auto.
Friday, December 12, 2008 12:47 PM
Take your foot out of the gas. Think about this logically, did that little mount change anything at all mechanically or electronic on the engine?

No, therefore this is your foot, your imagination, or some other unrelated part failure.

Have you started running E85 ethanol or something? Or is your check engine light on?

Friday, December 12, 2008 1:24 PM
You got red urethane mount. The black urethane mount doubles gas mileage. The red doubles horsepower at the expense of mileage.

Maybe you can return it for the black?

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Friday, December 12, 2008 1:38 PM
BlackEco wrote:You got red urethane mount. The black urethane mount doubles gas mileage. The red doubles horsepower at the expense of mileage.

Maybe you can return it for the black?

LMFAO!!! I think you just might be right.

Friday, December 12, 2008 2:30 PM
Dustin Ouellette wrote:hello, a few months ago i installed the red polyurethane upper motor mount ( i cant remember the brand). but after i installed it, i noticed my gas mileage went down signifigantly. is this normal? has anyone else had this problem? thanks.

by significantly how much did you loose?

Friday, December 12, 2008 2:37 PM
well i used to be able to get about 400 miles out of a tank, now i only get around 330ish. and i calculated it and it seems to be about 28 miles per gallon. im not driving any harder than i did before.
"eco" -so are u joking about the whole color thing?
Friday, December 12, 2008 2:44 PM
take ur stupid posts to the NEWB section. do u really think that the color of a bushing would matter for gas milage. like has already been said, the mount has nothing to do with your milage. there are other environmental or driver issues that did it.

Friday, December 12, 2008 3:20 PM
Poor guy. As stated, no the mount has nothing to do with your fuel economy. Check/replace the regular stuff, filters, oil, plugs etc. It may also be the time of the year, my car gets a bit worse fuel economy in the winter.

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Friday, December 12, 2008 3:23 PM
okay. well i have changed the plugs and fuel filter. i have a cold air intake also. i don't believe the coils or plug wires have ever been replaced. i added the motor mount this fall, and i immediately noticed a drop in mileage.
Friday, December 12, 2008 3:47 PM
It is something else unrelated to the mount, trust us. Try replacing the o2 sensor in the exhaust manifold.

Friday, December 12, 2008 4:35 PM
u think i should still do that even tho the check engine light isnt on? its gonna be a pita getting it out cuz its pretty rusted in there haha
Friday, December 12, 2008 4:46 PM
Dustin Ouellette wrote:okay. well i have changed the plugs and fuel filter. i have a cold air intake also. i don't believe the coils or plug wires have ever been replaced. i added the motor mount this fall, and i immediately noticed a drop in mileage.

Motor mounts ain't got nothing to do with your gas mileage, if anything your just making your car stiffer. Its a piece of a rubber that does nothing but sit and flex its manly muscular arms to keep the engine from moving so much.

I'd check your spark plugs, coils, and even the o2 sensor. Doesn't matter if its rusty, its not that hard to replace it and put in a new one anyways.

While putting in the new motor mount bushing, did you touch or disconnected something accidently?
Friday, December 12, 2008 4:57 PM
Colder weather will also cause a decrease in gas mileage. I've lost about 4mpg over that past month with it being about 30 at out when i drive. Then agian i have a slight misfire so that might be causing some of the decrease.
Saturday, December 13, 2008 5:48 AM
if you had something going it it is possible the new "vibes" how of helped it go "finish"

just take a look over everything and do some general maintenance you will get it back to normal

Saturday, December 13, 2008 6:33 AM
well what are some things that i should check that are common to "go" on these engines? do you think it would help to remove the motor mount?
Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:28 AM
EVOFire {DesertTuners} wrote:take ur stupid posts to the NEWB section. do u really think that the color of a bushing would matter for gas milage. like has already been said, the mount has nothing to do with your milage. there are other environmental or driver issues that did it.

wow. what a way to help the poor guy. and people wonder why this site is turning into a big pile of crap are comments from jerks like this guy. you have to love comments that dont even help the orginal poster.

Dustin
as stated, cold weather can cause a decrease. or maybe its just your foot. you can always replace the O2 sensor, they can malfuction for awhile before they throw a code. also replace the feul filter too. that might be a help

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:41 AM
Dustin Ouellette wrote:well what are some things that i should check that are common to "go" on these engines? do you think it would help to remove the motor mount?

From what I could understand in the last part, why would you want to remove the motor mount. You already did a good deed by stiffening the upper mounts with it in order for the engine to move less, so leave that.

If anything, I'd do a maintenance run on your car. O2 sensor, fuel filter, air filter, oil change, oil filter, and so on and so on. How do you drive your car? Do you drive nice and calm or do you floor it quite alot? Many of these things reflects on your gas mileage.
Saturday, December 13, 2008 12:55 PM
well ive changed the fuel filter already, the oil i will be changing in about 1000 miles or so, i have an aftermarket cone filter but its not really dirty yet. should i just do the upper o2 sensor or the downstream one too? ( cuz i looked and the downstream is very pricey)

i drive "hard" every once and a while. i drive about 15 miles highway and about 5-7ish around town twice everyday during the week if that helps. ( i commute to college). and i generally drive about the speed limit.
Saturday, December 13, 2008 2:38 PM
The downstream o2 has nothing to do with gas mileage, its an emissions monitoring tool more than anything.

Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:45 PM
When you installed your intake, did you put the IAT sensor back in the intake or is it just dangling around in the engine bay? That could cause fuel economy to drop if it's not functioning properly.

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "

Sunday, December 14, 2008 6:37 AM
well im still using the factory rubber tube so it still in the intake. a while ago i cut the wires to the iat (to install this cheap performance module from ebay...that doesnt work) but i connected them back together.
Sunday, December 14, 2008 7:00 AM
Dustin Ouellette wrote:well im still using the factory rubber tube so it still in the intake. a while ago i cut the wires to the iat (to install this cheap performance module from ebay...that doesnt work) but i connected them back together.

was this a jet module cause thats all they are good for ......poor gas mileage.........take that thing off and throw it in the trash or resell out on ebay....

Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:45 AM
nope it was a cheap no name brand with a little knob on it. but i took it out the same day i put it in haha.
Monday, December 15, 2008 7:29 AM
Winter gasoline causes reduced mileage. Happens every winter to me and I drive it hard all the time.

Labrat
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search