How to use Neon coils for thr 2.4 instead of 2.2 coils. - Page 3 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How to use Neon coils for thr 2.4 instead of 2.2 coils.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:48 PM
ZtwatyFo wrote:upps... forgot the picture... hahaha

wow, great pic of a couple hoses...

this mod is completely useless if you don't upgrade the entire ignition system. Especially being that the stock neon coils put out less voltage than the stock GM coils.

changing out your 2.4 ICM to the 2.2 ICM is completely useless...

modding your 2.4 ICM for this mod is completely useless...

MSD coils, MSD 8.5 wires, MSD DIS-2, 8 gauge wire or better going from DIS-2 to battery, or just don't bother, honestly.

This mod including the MSD mods to this mod is useless unless boosted or spraying...

remember, when ordering your MSD coil and using the Mitsu/neon coil, make sure you get the correct plug (which is whichever one you find more abundant at the salvage yard). I believe its the flat prong one.

this mod makes using the GM MSD coils with their needed MSD adapters completely pointless and you just blew $80 more for about 5000 volts you will never see.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:25 PM
well i mean, im gonna be doing the 2.2 swap that misn did. and i am gonna try to find a 2.4 ICM at the yard cuz i dont wanna use the one from my car (just incase). plus i found a killer deal on a 2.2 eco motor that i may pick up. my friend and i pitched in and bought a 2002 shell. we plan on building the engine up for lots of boost . 1 seater too.

"still want to smash that like the fist of an angry god"
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:16 PM
Quote:

this mod is completely useless if you don't upgrade the entire ignition system. Especially being that the stock neon coils put out less voltage than the stock GM coils.

Prove this and I'll leave you alone. Hard facts please or you're just farting into the wind.

Quote:

You've not payed attention at all to the modification I made. You probably wouldn't understand it anyway.

Quote:

Who's modding their 2.4 ICM. That's staying stock and nothing has changed with the ICM.

Quote:

MSD coils, MSD 8.5 wires, MSD DIS-2, 8 gauge wire or better going from DIS-2 to battery, or just don't bother, honestly.

You don't know much do you.

Quote:

This mod including the MSD mods to this mod is useless unless boosted or spraying...

Right and wrong. Do some studying on ignition systems and you may understand.

Quote:

remember, when ordering your MSD coil and using the Mitsu/neon coil, make sure you get the correct plug (which is whichever one you find more abundant at the salvage yard). I believe its the flat prong one.

Does moronic mentality ring a bell here?

Quote:

this mod makes using the GM MSD coils with their needed MSD adapters completely pointless and you just blew $80 more for about 5000 volts you will never see.

Hmmm, I've not seen a single bad review of the setup.
Most agree, it's the best thing they've done ignition wise to their car.

Oh and you sir are totally useless.
/rant

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:30 PM
thank you very much misnblu

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:50 PM
RaginZ: You were the one that pointed me to attempt the swap.

Honestly the car has never started better (I have put in new stock coils before), idled smoother, and been as responsive to throttle changes as it became after the swap. Anyone can tell you once an ignition system is hot enough to meet the requirements of an engine there is no really gain by making it any hotter, but if an ignition system is weak or faulty a gain can be noticed by upgrading. I did it to make it more reliable, cheaper, and easier to work on. If a gain happened o well, that isn't why I did it. It works and that is all that matters, and I made a writeup of it to possibly help someone along the way.

Like an engine or anything of the like, as you remove bottlenecks the systems becomes more efficent. Just about anyone that has replaced a 2.4 coil more than once in a year can tell you there has to be a better way.

Not to be taking shots at you or anything, just stating what I see, and have learned.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 10:53 PM
2.4_LS_4Door (Dayton86) wrote:RaginZ: You were the one that pointed me to attempt the swap.

Honestly the car has never started better (I have put in new stock coils before), idled smoother, and been as responsive to throttle changes as it became after the swap. Anyone can tell you once an ignition system is hot enough to meet the requirements of an engine there is no really gain by making it any hotter, but if an ignition system is weak or faulty a gain can be noticed by upgrading. I did it to make it more reliable, cheaper, and easier to work on. If a gain happened o well, that isn't why I did it. It works and that is all that matters, and I made a writeup of it to possibly help someone along the way.

Like an engine or anything of the like, as you remove bottlenecks the systems becomes more efficent. Just about anyone that has replaced a 2.4 coil more than once in a year can tell you there has to be a better way.

Not to be taking shots at you or anything, just stating what I see, and have learned.

said.... and done...

leave it at that, because if anyone wants to argue with that logic they are just a d bag looking for an online pissing contest. i feel the exact same way. and have had very similar responses to this mod.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 4:17 AM
i did this swap this past weekend and it works great idk wat ztwat is talkin bout anyone with a ld9 knows how much the factory coils suck they always die and wen the car gets hot mine used to skip the mod cost me twenty bucks (got the coil for free) and couldnt be happyer.
Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:05 PM
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 1:54 PM
kinda bringin this thread back from the dead.... just recently did neon swap on my car

before:

after:

actually what i did is i used the stock mounting plate from a 2200, mounted the coils on there, and bolted it to the PS. also what made it conveient was that the 2.4 ICM is right under the coils so there wasnt much wiring to deal with. car runs awsome now. quick start ups (even cold), smoothed out the rpms, and more peppy. relle the only thing i might do later is upgrade to MSD coils, but soon im going to get better spark plug wires.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 7:33 AM
welp this morning the neon coils decided to die out on me so now i have to switch back to the @!#$ty 2.4 ignition. ugh.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 4:52 PM
Did you get the coils new or out the junkyard? if new try and take them back, i have personally got bad eletrical parts before. If used you just never know. Mine has been running for 10 months now. Best of luck.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 4:55 PM
i pulled the coils from the yard, its a gamble i took and lost. before they died car ran much better. looks like ill be upgrading to MSD sooner than i though and getting some accel wires

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:20 AM
CavRacing01 wrote:i pulled the coils from the yard, its a gamble i took and lost. before they died car ran much better. looks like ill be upgrading to MSD sooner than i though and getting some accel wires
Ever get it fixed and running?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:12 AM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:
ZtwatyFo wrote:upps... forgot the picture... hahaha

wow, great pic of a couple hoses...

Dude honestly why do you even care if it is useless? you have a sunfire gauge cluster=useless...Or how about your hood pins=useless..or even the oem carbon fiber hood=useless...If all your going to do is bash, and not have significant evidence to back it up, then just dont post...It's annoying and a waste of peoples time who actually care about the posts. Personally bash me and my car all you want, I could care less. But you do whatever makes you sleep good at night..USELESS
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:28 PM
sadly im not using the neon set-up. it was quite easy to do. but as i speak im soldering the last wires up to the 2.2 coil swap. i figure if its gm parts with gm parts its gonna be a lil bit more reliable. but then again i also pulled these coils/icm from the yard when i got the neon coils. i had the 2.2 coils as a back up just incase. ill let u know how things work out.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:01 PM
the new set-up:

sorry about the pic. @!#$ty pic phone and lighting at night make out for a @!#$ty pic lol. ill get a better pic tomorrow.

personally between the 2 set-ups i like 2.2 coil set-up, but thats just my opinion. but if ur lookin to save time and money the neon coils are the way to go. 3 wires, sodder, plug up, and go. both improve spark and smooth out rpms. only thing i noticed different about the 2 is the 2.2 coil swap is a lil smoother.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:25 PM
That's probably because of the bigger coils, more windings, and more voltage compared to the Neon coil.
The 2.2 coils also match more closely the 2.4's primary and secondary resistance which makes it a bit easier for the oem ICM to fire without restrictions to the output of the signal.
Either coil setup is better than the oem idi coil setup, in spite of the negative feedback I alway hear with 'show me the proof' mentality of this mod.
Good going man on the setup.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:56 PM
thanks man, i just cant wait till i get some better wires and eventually some msd coils. lol and i get the same thing all the time from my friends, "show me proof". but i mean like i could definitley tell a difference. it was weird, before the swap in like the mid range rpms of 3rd gear (stupid automatic) it seemed like the engines was hesitant to go through the rpms smoothly. now with the external coils its like as smooth as a baby's ass. i may not have gone by ur write-up, all i did was cut the 2.4 plug that gives feed-back to the ecu. according to "icemike", that is all he did and he hasnt had any problem since (hence thats why all the wires are color coded). but this is seriously one of the best mods ive done on the car. defenitley money well spent.

Monday, December 01, 2008 8:49 AM
It would be so nice if someone actually took pics of the finished product of each parts before installation. *Sighs* Im catching up though. Thing is, Im not sure what you guys are talking about when soldering comes in the picture. From what I see in Misnblu's picture, he kept the 2.4L ignition modicule and switched wires around to make it work on 2.2L plate. I only saw misnblu diagram and it was kinda confusing (no offense misnblu) and I rather see pictures step by step. Misnblu is the only one that showed pictures of what he did with the 2.4L ignition module. All the others, I dont see em anywhere. they're either hidden or not used at all?

This is a must mod for my residence in Arizona...

GOT STUFF FOR SALE, CHECK THE CLASSIFIED

Monday, December 01, 2008 1:22 PM
H A N Z E N R I D E R wrote:It would be so nice if someone actually took pics of the finished product of each parts before installation. *Sighs* Im catching up though. Thing is, Im not sure what you guys are talking about when soldering comes in the picture. From what I see in Misnblu's picture, he kept the 2.4L ignition modicule and switched wires around to make it work on 2.2L plate. I only saw misnblu diagram and it was kinda confusing (no offense misnblu) and I rather see pictures step by step. Misnblu is the only one that showed pictures of what he did with the 2.4L ignition module. All the others, I dont see em anywhere. they're either hidden or not used at all?

This is a must mod for my residence in Arizona...

if u want i can help ya. i helped "ghostz....." and "DOHC_TUNER" with the 2.2 coil swap if thats what ur looking to do

Monday, December 01, 2008 1:37 PM
Yes, I want to do the 2.2 coil swap, not the neon swap. I've seen more people pleased with 2.2 swap and I feel safer using GM or aftermarket stuff on GM, not Dodge. What i want to do is keep all wirings stock without cutting anything so I can revert it back to stock from Coils in matter of minutes if I need to. My cav is a daily driver to work and back and I drive far so reliablity is a must.

GOT STUFF FOR SALE, CHECK THE CLASSIFIED

Monday, December 01, 2008 1:51 PM
PM

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 2:19 PM
Hey Cavracing01

I put my neon coil the same way u did, hope its ok thanks for the design and does ur icm work correct with out it under the cover and

not grounded.

I found wires that are 8.2mm Thundervolt wires and the spiropro plugwires they are from taylor vertex and come in red, blue, black

colors and they are universal.

4cylinder wires and are 36",36",36",48" and comes with a coil wire that is 30".

Heres the numbers the Thunder Volt wires.
Red-83235.
Blue-83635.
Black-83035.

Heres the numbers for the spiro pro wires.
Red-73235.
Blue-73635.

Home this helps us all that did the coil pack swap i cant wait to get mine finish for i can show it off .
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:37 PM
idk, i had the neon swap for like a week then the coils burnt out so i switched to the 2.2 coil swap.... ^^^^ ur gonna have to ask dayton about it.

here is a more recent pic of my coil set-up:

Monday, February 09, 2009 1:27 PM
Im still a lttle confused also. I need to know what to solder to what. And what plug to get. Or a exact list of what i need to get would be nice. Thnx
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search