aftermarket intake help? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
aftermarket intake help?
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 9:29 PM
k i have a 99 2.2 single came cavy sedan and i am tryin to put a aftermarket cold air intake and when had i put on a universal one it was run for a good sec then it started to idle extremely high with the throttle body butterfly was close like hittin the rev limit. Was it because that i didnt run the vaccum line from the cylinder head to the intake cause i didnt do that or is it because of that air sensor that is in the stock air intake can some one explain it for me pls thank u?

Re: aftermarket intake help?
Wednesday, November 05, 2008 1:43 PM
you should hook up that vacuum line and your car requires that sensor to be in the intake upstream. So if I read what u said correctly, you will need to drill a hole and insert the sensor to eliminate your problem.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:40 PM
does it matter if it is in a certain way or does it have to be air sealed with sealent or is it not that picky?
Thursday, November 06, 2008 4:51 AM
well the sensor part has be low enough so that it is somewhere close to the center of streamflow (ie the tip of the sensor should be sitting near the middle of the intake pipe). To be honest, howcome this intake didn't come with a predrilled hole and a rubber grommet to just insert the sensor? I wouldn't seal it with sealant as then you wont be able to get it out and put it back in your stock intake if necessary. You need to find a rubber grommet for it. As to where to find one of thoses, I don't know.

Thursday, November 06, 2008 5:12 AM
Scott Fry wrote:...howcome this intake didn't come with a predrilled hole and a rubber grommet to just insert the sensor?

evo eater wrote:... when had i put on a universal one...

Thursday, November 06, 2008 2:54 PM
it does have one but it is not specificly shaped for it cause it is a universal one
Thursday, November 06, 2008 3:04 PM
Throw that ebay crap in the garbage and get an AEM. Or at least a WeaponR

Thursday, November 06, 2008 6:23 PM
how much for the aem one then ? from them directly or a parts store like summit?
Thursday, November 06, 2008 7:08 PM
Don't waste your money on AEM. Get back on ebay and find a seller called highprospeed. He has a store and sells or atleast used to a true cold air intake that comes directly off the throttle body ( AEM knock off). I have it and it cost me $70 shipped. I like it and the only problem was the grommet for the IAT was to small. My IAT sensor isn't even in the intake I just taped over the hole and left my IAT hanging and my car runs fine and its been this way since Febuary ( yes I will be fixing this evetually). Your problem is either the vacuum line not being connected or something else. Check your throttle cable and see if its pinched or sticking. Is your check engine light on? Pull the code. If your idling almost at the rev limiter you've got something else wrong. I highly doubt the intake or IAT sensor caused it. I'd be more leaning to a faulty TPS or IAC.

For those that don't understand the technical abbreviations:

IAT: Inlet AIr Temperature sensor

IAC: Idle Air Control valve

TPS: Throttle Position Sensor.

The Outlaw
98 Pontiac Sunfire (Christine)
2200 5spd
Red with Black racing stripes.

Don't let the punks get to you. If they can't say anything helpful its because they probably
have VERY LITTLE IF ANY MECHANICAL SKILLS . Talking crap is just their way of hiding that
fact. They figure the more crap they say the less likley anyone will know how dumb they are.
Saturday, November 08, 2008 12:33 AM
now that u said that i think the throttle cable got suck when i was swaping out from stock to after market so that might have cause it to get stuck at that rpm cause i didnt give the care much time realy after i put on the new one and the cable got stuck at the postion i had my foot to the for but i didnt c the butterfly wide open on the throttle body so what else can it be do yall think?
Saturday, November 08, 2008 10:09 AM
Is your check engine light on? If so pull the code.

Using your hand manuallly open the throttlebody. Does the return spring close it when you let go?

Have a buddy get inside operate the pedal while you watch the thrttle blade. Does it open and close?

Check all the wire connectors on the throttlebody. Are they all hooked up?

I would check all this out . You should find the problem by following these simple steps. If not then I don't know. I'll look at my factory service manual and see what I can come up with. Just check this in the meantime.

The Outlaw
2200 5spd

Don't let the punks get to you. If they can't say anything helpful its because they probably
have VERY LITTLE IF ANY MECHANICAL SKILLS . Talking crap is just their way of hiding that
fact. They figure the more crap they say the less likley anyone will know how dumb they are.

Saturday, November 08, 2008 11:58 AM
here ya go.......

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=418568&t=418568#418568

"still want to smash that like the fist of an angry god"
Saturday, November 08, 2008 12:07 PM
here are some links to ebay intakes for sale:

blue: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__98-02-99-00-01-Cavalier-2-2L-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit-Blue_W0QQitemZ230305003881QQadiZ2865QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q 20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item230305003881&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

polished: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__Chevy-98-02-99-00-01-Cavalier-2-2L-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit_W0QQitemZ230305467240QQadiZ2865QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26 Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item230305467240&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

red: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__Chevy-98-02-99-00-01-Cavalier-2-2L-Cold-Air-Intake-Red_W0QQitemZ230305539116QQadiZ2865QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26 Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item230305539116&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

compare those to the AEM cold ait inake:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__AEM-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit-for-98-02-Cavalier-Sunfire_W0QQitemZ350108144844QQadiZ2865QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20A ccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item350108144844&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

personally i would go with the ebay cuz both the ebay and aem are practically the same, there just isnt any sticker on the ebay intakes. plus from what i heard in J to Evny's review, the polished one that he got came with installation instructions. sounds like a deal to me.

"still want to smash that like the fist of an angry god"
Saturday, November 08, 2008 2:47 PM
The red one is the exact same as mine. Mine only came with one page generic instructions though. I was actually able to feel difference between this one and the Vibrant WAI. Fix your car yet?

The Outlaw
2200 5spd

Monday, November 10, 2008 11:26 PM
i didnt get a chance to sit and c what exaclty is wrong or if it was the cable but i am goin to get my buddy to sit in my car and play with the gas pedal and c if it is doing some worng or not cause right now i got the stock tubing for the 2200 that i got that came stock in the 99cav sedan but with the ram air filter at the end of it so i am goin to try what u said and if not try to custom fit the sensor so were it can read the air comin in the car. The reason y i asked cause i think that the computer side of my throttle body was tellin it to bringup the rpm of the idle all the way up so that the sensor can get some air to it so it can read the amount that the car needs but i will figure it out hopefully so i can put my aftermarket intake i got
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:26 AM
That sensor only reads air temperature. Not airflow. As long as its plugged into the harness it will run and idle normally. Is your engine light on? If not then its mechanical. If any of the sensors are bad it'll turn on the engine light.

The Outlaw
2200 5spd

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 5:39 AM
evo eater ha ha that's funny

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:40 AM
yeah lol i did that name for a dream reason for me to take one down one day and i dont think that the sensors are bad but i ran it for a sec with no air intake for a sec and it ran good so i am not sure but ill do it on my day off soon i appreciate the help outlaw
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:57 AM
the outlaw wrote:My IAT sensor isn't even in the intake I just taped over the hole and left my IAT hanging

This should be the clue to not listen to anything this dude says because he don't know jack about cars. BTW, I just took my drain plug out the oil pan and it ran just fine without it. You should do that too.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:12 PM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:
the outlaw wrote:My IAT sensor isn't even in the intake I just taped over the hole and left my IAT hanging

This should be the clue to not listen to anything this dude says because he don't know jack about cars. BTW, I just took my drain plug out the oil pan and it ran just fine without it. You should do that too.

Dude you don't even know anything about me. I used to work on cars for a living. All that sensor does is read the temperature of the air coming into the engine. Not having it in the intake isn't a big deal. Remember the oldschool mod of relocating it to the bumper? And yes I know I know I need to find a grommet. I'm sure you have something jury rigged on your car too. I did it this temporarily and then forgot about it. Big deal. I don't see one helpful post by you in this thread. So stop talking crap about people you don't know and say something actually useful.

The Outlaw
2200 5spd

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:07 AM
you viitamin e what is your problem people are trying to help others who are asking questions on there vehicles and u are being a retard messing around with them so mind your own business if u dont onthing nice to say then dont say nothing at all. Right now outlaw has way more knowledge then u and to me it seems u are a wana be mechanic who only know how to put on decals and lil stuff like that.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:06 PM
evo eater wrote:you viitamin e what is your problem people are trying to help others who are asking questions on there vehicles and u are being a retard messing around with them so mind your own business if u dont onthing nice to say then dont say nothing at all. Right now outlaw has way more knowledge then u and to me it seems u are a wana be mechanic who only know how to put on decals and lil stuff like that.

Vitamin E acutally knows his stuff. He did the eco swap. But for whatever reason he decided to screw around instead of be helpful this time. He's not this way all the time though. You'll get alot of flaming here, its best to just ignore them. There are alot of wannabe mechanics that try to give advise here. Just search their profiles and do a search for their username in the forums and you can tell who talks crap all the time and who actually knows what they are doing.

The Outlaw
2200 5spd

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:57 PM
the outlaw wrote:
Dude you don't even know anything about me. I used to work on cars for a living. All that sensor does is read the temperature of the air coming into the engine. Not having it in the intake isn't a big deal. Remember the oldschool mod of relocating it to the bumper? And yes I know I know I need to find a grommet. I'm sure you have something jury rigged on your car too. I did it this temporarily and then forgot about it. Big deal. I don't see one helpful post by you in this thread. So stop talking crap about people you don't know and say something actually useful.

well, I do... and you don't know what the F you're talking about. Vitamine E is right on the money with this one. oh and btw.. your sig cracks me up..

Quote:

i guess you're one of those punks huh? let me educate your stupid ass.

The IAT sensor tells the ecu what temperature incoming air is. If it gets too hot, the ecu reduces ignition timing to prevent knock.

having it swing in the ambient air of the engine compartment (where its most likely hotter) will cause the ecu to pull timing, and thus reduce power.

don't believe me? see for yourself..

those are the tables viewed through HPT that control ignition retard in relation to intake air temperature.
there's also an associated multiplier that increases the amount that the base table effects the ignition retard in relation to rpm.

in simple terms, the higher the RPM the more the intake air temperature will effect the amount of ignition timing that will be pulled per degree of over-temperature.

there's also an engine coolant temperature table and multiplier since the temperature of the engine is important too... or should I unplug my ECT sensor too?

and I guess I should offer up my credentials eh? I wrote the eco swap how-to posts that most people follow when swapping their car (2000-2002 years), and if you want to see what my 'punk ass lack of mechanical skills' is up to now, check out the performance thread "LSJ + L61 hybrid"

evo eater wrote:
you viitamin e what is your problem people are trying to help others who are asking questions on there vehicles and u are being a retard messing around with them so mind your own business if u dont onthing nice to say then dont say nothing at all. Right now outlaw has way more knowledge then u and to me it seems u are a wana be mechanic who only know how to put on decals and lil stuff like that.

first, this is a public forum. if you want people to 'mind their business' I suggest not making posts, and search. many topics have been covered multiple times. If you have trouble bolting on an intake, clearly you have a lot of learning to do, and there's many posts touching base on such in the newbie forum.

second, if you're going to look to outlaw for help on this one, I feel bad for you. read my post, and be educated. leaving that sensor unplugged (while it has no OBVIOUS effects on the engine's attitude) will result in less power due to ignition timing being reduced.

and I have to admit. your forum name makes me

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:37 AM
k i agree that it is a public forum i agree with that and i was showing appriecation to oulaw for putting forth what he knows and i was getting a aspect of the situation of my cavalier this is my first cavy but not my first vehicle into knowing the the general overview of automotive and new to performance upgrades. the difference that i know is that it is a tuner and i have been mainly taught on muscle cars pls forgive me if i afend or desrpect anyone i just wanted a full spectrum of the situation whether it is electrical or mechanical i wanted to make sure of my decision of doing this to the vehicle because it is my daily driver that i want to have some get up and go so that is y i ask here instead of the newbie section. I place the question on here to get advice and opinions instead of directions and the bases of what a aftermarket cold or ram air intake does os again i appriecate the help of those of the forum.
Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:36 AM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:
the outlaw wrote:

well, I do... and you don't know what the F you're talking about. Vitamine E is right on the money with this one. oh and btw.. your sig cracks me up..

Quote:

i guess you're one of those punks huh? let me educate your stupid ass.

The IAT sensor tells the ecu what temperature incoming air is. If it gets too hot, the ecu reduces ignition timing to prevent knock.

having it swing in the ambient air of the engine compartment (where its most likely hotter) will cause the ecu to pull timing, and thus reduce power.

don't believe me? see for yourself..

those are the tables viewed through HPT that control ignition retard in relation to intake air temperature.
there's also an associated multiplier that increases the amount that the base table effects the ignition retard in relation to rpm.

in simple terms, the higher the RPM the more the intake air temperature will effect the amount of ignition timing that will be pulled per degree of over-temperature.

there's also an engine coolant temperature table and multiplier since the temperature of the engine is important too... or should I unplug my ECT sensor too?

and I guess I should offer up my credentials eh? I wrote the eco swap how-to posts that most people follow when swapping their car (2000-2002 years), and if you want to see what my 'punk ass lack of mechanical skills' is up to now, check out the performance thread "LSJ + L61 hybrid"

evo eater wrote:

first, this is a public forum. if you want people to 'mind their business' I suggest not making posts, and search. many topics have been covered multiple times. If you have trouble bolting on an intake, clearly you have a lot of learning to do, and there's many posts touching base on such in the newbie forum.

second, if you're going to look to outlaw for help on this one, I feel bad for you. read my post, and be educated. leaving that sensor unplugged (while it has no OBVIOUS effects on the engine's attitude) will result in less power due to ignition timing being reduced.

and I have to admit. your forum name makes me

All I was saying before this whole flame war started was that the IAT not being in the intake is not going to cause his car to idle near the revlimiyer like said in his first post. You guys all missed the point. I never said it wasn't necessary, never said not having in the intake was ok , and NEVER SAID TO UNPLUG IT FROM THE HARNESS. If you fully read this thread you will find that out. I'm fully aware of what it does. You guys should read stuff more fully before jumping to conclusions.

The Outlaw
2200 5spd

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search