question about 2.3l ho manifold + pcv - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
question about 2.3l ho manifold + pcv
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:02 PM
what is everyone doing for their pcv? i used a hose, and connected it to the intake, but i am wondering if this is possibly the cause of the "burning" of oil.... not even 15k on the motor, and she went through 2.5 quarts in 1300 miles.... i was thinking, and doesnt the sc kit come with a block off plate or something???

anyone have a simerler issue? i am open to ideas....

Re: question about 2.3l ho manifold + pcv
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:16 PM
compare the 2.4 manifold flange and gasket to that of the 2.3
ive had this same idea. also refer back to where pj put the eco 2.4 HO manifold on the 2.2 eco and had to drill a hole because of a similar prob.
i always wondered if us using the 2.3 manifold on a 2.4 twin cam should also drill something and create a relief so it is not just blocked off. if someone has a pic of the intake side of the 2.4 head you can see there is an oil hole, and on the 2.4 intake manifold gasket there is an area for this hole.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:06 AM
are you sure that is what that hole is for? I just did my mani swap and was trying figure out what the hole was for. But as for the pcv hose mine is still not plugged up to the intake. I figure you could put a little filter on it some where but not sure. The reason you are probably burning oil is because of higher reving the engine which in turn is probably sucking in alot more air that the stock 2.4 mani. Which will pull oil out of that hose you are talking about.

The only other thing i could think of is run the hose kind of at an angle up to the intake so the oil being thrown into the black box thing on the front can run down or stay in the box. But in all honesty it kind of sounds like you got a bit of blow by some how. I have some on my 2.4 with 130,000 miles on the motor and i highly doubt it had a easy life.
Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:19 AM
also did you connect it right to the manifold? If so that is your problem as to the hose is suppose to be hooked to the intake tubing. If is is hooked on the manifold you are drawing like 10 or 15 psi of vaccum in turn pulling the oil out of the motor.
Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:17 PM
I drilled a hole in my HO mani to the exact same spot as the pcv hole in the head to let it breath better.. I didnt have that hole drilled on the previous motor and I was burning oil.. Not anymore. That hole is there on the head for a reason.. When installing the HO mani, drill a hole between the two middle ports to match the small hole thats in the head.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:18 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:I drilled a hole in my HO mani to the exact same spot as the pcv hole in the head to let it breath better.. I didnt have that hole drilled on the previous motor and I was burning oil.. Not anymore. That hole is there on the head for a reason.. When installing the HO mani, drill a hole between the two middle ports to match the small hole thats in the head.

did u tap and run a line anywhere or are you just venting to the open atmosphere? i will prob end up doing this sometime soon cuz mobile one is spendy

Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:31 PM
drilling a extra hole in the 2.3 mani is the only thing you have to change up b4 putting it in?
Friday, September 19, 2008 5:29 AM
Keving you don't have very much done to your car to be able to have the H.O. work effectively and gain any HP, your best bet is to run the L.O. mani

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Friday, September 19, 2008 10:05 AM
gmanz24 wrote:
WHITECAVY wrote:I drilled a hole in my HO mani to the exact same spot as the pcv hole in the head to let it breath better.. I didnt have that hole drilled on the previous motor and I was burning oil.. Not anymore. That hole is there on the head for a reason.. When installing the HO mani, drill a hole between the two middle ports to match the small hole thats in the head.

did u tap and run a line anywhere or are you just venting to the open atmosphere? i will prob end up doing this sometime soon cuz mobile one is spendy

I just have it to the open atmosphere. No more random tiny puddles of oil, and also no burning oil smoke coming out of the exhaust.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, September 19, 2008 1:37 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:
gmanz24 wrote:

I just have it to the open atmosphere. No more random tiny puddles of oil, and also no burning oil smoke coming out of the exhaust.

im sold, im doing it right after i get back from school, ive got 2 HO manis so its not a big deal

Friday, September 19, 2008 4:30 PM
Drilled and taped for a 1/8" NPT with 1/4 barb between #2 and #3 runners.

Comes out between #1 and #2 runners to a filter and then a check valve before going into the manifold.

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:10 PM
i got the same issue...yet i got a small breather filter on a rubber hose coming from the crank case ventilation...and it burn oil. I have a 2.4L Intake aluminum

where do I drill the hole?

ttp://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=6666FF&image=http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/2557000-2557999/2557055_140_full.jpg

GMR has got nothing on this
Friday, September 19, 2008 6:11 PM
sorry here ya'll

ttp://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=6666FF&image=http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/2557000-2557999/2557055_140_full.jpg

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:13 PM

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:13 PM
Link no work

Woud have to be drilled in the same location

Sunday, September 21, 2008 10:08 AM
sorry i still dont get it....where do I drill the hole?

Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:35 AM
Ahhhh, never even realized that the tiny hole in the flange and vacume line on the m45 was, lol.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:51 PM
Line it up between runners #2 and #3 just like teh extra fitting I have drilled in my HO manifold.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:41 PM
i thought there was something funky from before-> after, this will have to be something to attack maybe sunday... just gotta be able to arrange an extra set of hands, thats what took the pia job of that manifold, and made it a breeze....

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:26 PM
well i am off sat night, so far assuming the weather is mint by then (stupid tropical storms...) i plan to take care of this, i will take plenty of pictures for anyone unsure of whats goin on here.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:48 PM
just looking at all those hoses totally confuses me..anyone wanna try to explain them to me??

Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:09 PM
2 coming out the T on teh back of teh plenum are for the BOV and WG (there was a factory plug there).
2 on teh bottom are for the boost gauge and the PCV line from the flange (lines up to small hole in head).
Big one goes to brake booster.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:24 PM
ohhhhhh ok i get it now thanks...ive been watching this because im burning quite a bit of oil as well....compression test passed ,plugs are never fouled, but the upper rpm band sure makes a smokey exhaust and im losing about 1qaurt of oil every 200 miles..mobil isnt cheap..after pulling the manifold i found the intake ports covered in wet oil and the exhaust ports dry...i tried re routing the pcv hoses and such but im still burning oil..but im not boosted im NA so i really shouldnt be having this issue should i...did you get that filter at a normal parts store??

Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:33 PM
.... ya'all know, the right way to do it would be, take a tube, but it to a oil\air separator, and use PRE THROTTLE BODY AIR for a vacuum source..........right? Crank case Vacuum is good, but... 20" of HG?...

Scott, switch to the red cap M1... 15W50 FTW.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:28 PM
im already using the 15 50 chris and burning it somehow
i still have the black box..its under my intake but still hooked up...one tube from the timing,one going to the filler tube,the one to the manifold has a breather filter, and the other is going to the cai pipe up near the filter
doesnt seem like it should be sucking oil...but its going somewhere

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search