stripped head bolt - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
stripped head bolt
Monday, September 15, 2008 10:12 AM
I have a 96 Z 5spd and I am in the process of changing the head gasket and piston rings. I am to the point of taking the head bolts out and am on the last one out of 8 and it wont budge, so I put a little more elbow grease into it, and it strips. How in the world am I suppose to get it out now?

Anyone have any ideas?

"sometimes the respect is more important..."

Re: stripped head bolt
Monday, September 15, 2008 10:25 AM
yikes.

You need to get in a time machine, and go back and heat that beast before applying more elbow grease.....

But since your in the situation that your in.....does the stud just spin in the hole? Do you know if it ripped the threads from the stud or the block? did the stud break??

Usually you can still walk them out by turning while applying upward pressure......which is NOT an easy thing to do....

Monday, September 15, 2008 11:10 AM
no the head of the bolt stripped and my $30 set of visegrip stripped bolt removers does not want to help. its jus the head of the bolt that is messed up, nothing else

Monday, September 15, 2008 11:53 AM
ah,
Thats not NEARLY as severe......

Those rounded off head tools are usually junk unless the bolt is barely in there.

Do you have a pic of the offending bolt?

If I can see what is surrounding it, I would tell you how I would try to get it out....

Monday, September 15, 2008 12:30 PM
Use a dremel and cut off 2 flat surfaces on either side of the bolt so that you can use something to get it off
Monday, September 15, 2008 1:46 PM
hey guys thanks for the efforts but i just heated up a 9/16ths deep well socket until red hot and hammered it onto the head, came right off.

Monday, September 15, 2008 2:10 PM
well that works too, lol. least it was only the head of the bolt and not the threads that was stripped though. . .

Monday, September 15, 2008 4:35 PM
yea i was very glad myself, new rings and head gasket install tomorrow!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search