Power Steering pump problems with Secret Cam swap? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power Steering pump problems with Secret Cam swap?
Monday, September 15, 2008 6:35 AM
I did the cam swap last year when I rebuilt my engine and I just snapped off the hex shaft on my SECOND power steering pump. The hex itself fits snug inside of the cam like the stock cam. I haven't even driven the car for 3 miles with the new cams since the car is untuned so I am trying to figure out if its the cam or something else like the steering rack. When I used to drive my car in the winter, my power steering would freeze overnight and it was diagnosed that the rack was on its way out and I never replaced it. The power steering works fine until i turn the wheel all the way and the pump kicks and bam....it sh*ts on me. Anyone else have problems after the cam swap or do you think it's the rack?

Re: Power Steering pump problems with Secret Cam swap?
Monday, September 15, 2008 11:16 AM
ive never heard of anyone having this issue before so i highly doubt its the cam.

UNLESS you bought the intake cam used and the hex drive is messed up...

Fall 08 Omaha/western Iowa area meet...CLICK ME!
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:27 PM
doesn't sound like the cam's fault. sounds like the pump is binding up. maybe replacing the known 'bad' rack will keep it from happening again.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:10 AM
i think your problem is driving a grand am. but what do I know . jk man. Sounds like your going to need a hand ripping out the rack

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:48 AM
damn....maybe its just time for a new car since the trans is now making noise.....*fingers crossed*

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search