ecotec engine swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec engine swap
Sunday, September 14, 2008 7:51 PM
I'm looking to do an engine swap to my 97 sunfire, i want to put a 2.2 ecotec in it. Anyone know where i can find wiring harnesses and computers for this project? Also, anyone know any good ways of finding an ecotec motor and tranny other than eBay. I've got some idea's just want some feedback.

Re: ecotec engine swap
Sunday, September 14, 2008 7:54 PM
Best places to find find the engine and transmission is by going to a Junkyard. There are plentiful Ecotec 2.2 motors and transmissions if you go to any of them. The one near my house has 4 Ecotec motors with transmission and all.
Sunday, September 14, 2008 8:24 PM
get the whole car. you need everything, make sure they didn't drill into the tank to empty it though, otherwise, you'll have to get a new one. it's best to go to an auction to find an insurance write-off and get one there. make sure it was either T-boned or Rear Ended though. don't want to risk any engine damage.

the reason I say this is you need to do the full harness, Engine AND interior, PLUS swap the gas-tank and sending unit. unfortunately, it's the only proper way of doing this to make it fully work.

if you do a search on Pre-99 Eco swap, you may find some good threads on it, prolly in the 3rd gen forum.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:24 AM
brad speaks the truth... and the truth sucks (for pre-99 j's)

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:25 AM
it actually sucks even moar 98 and older. The 99's have the EVAP canister out back already and you CAN re-use your current tank and fuel lines...

1999 is a hyrbid year for the fuel system, but everything else is the same with needing to be re-wired and all that jazz.

DONER CARS FTW!!!

03 roll over, insurance written off that i snagged for $1,165 delivered to the shop! Only had 40K miles too... score!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:10 AM
late 99's are Cody

the earlier ones, i.e. my dad's 99, is still the same for the fuel delivery system.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:32 PM
Well, then.... I got lucky. Even tho I am swapping to the newer fuel system and tank.

Just get a doner car.. .makes life soo much easier.

Friday, September 19, 2008 7:16 PM
Do yourself a favor and get a donor car

Saturday, September 20, 2008 9:21 AM
donor car is the way to go when i did my motor swap 1 wrecker wouldn't give me a car they where pullin it but i wanted to make sure i had all the little parts i got my 3800 donor for 700 bucks, i didn't need the trans tho thats why mine was cheaper ecos i think are in the 1000 range usually

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search