Feels slower. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Feels slower.
Saturday, May 24, 2008 9:04 AM
I got a new exhaust on my car. It a 2 1/4in from the cat back with a 23in cherry bomb and a magnaflow muffler. I think it is just the sound throwing me off but it feels a tad bit slower. Now I hear the muffler a lot,but before I only heard the short ram intake. I am pretty sure that it is just the sound that makes it seem slower, but I wanted to make sure that I didn't lose to much back pressure or something.

Re: Feels slower.
Saturday, May 24, 2008 9:23 AM
Its all in your head .

Saturday, May 24, 2008 9:25 AM
Thats what I figured. I said the same thing when I got the short ram, It just sounds different so my brain makes me think it is slower.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 2:48 PM
(Heh, heh) Congratulations. You just learn there are two types of horsepower: Physical & psychological! Too bad both kind can make you think you're unbeatable, cause only one will... If you have enough.

Relax, I'm not raggin' on you specifically. Just sayin' how it is.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Saturday, May 24, 2008 4:49 PM
Otto cyle engines do not need backpressure. They do need properly sized exhaust systems to operate in their designed power range. Please get the myth of not enough back-pressure out of your head. Please read Dispelling the backpressure myth.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 5:35 PM
Thanks Jack, saved me the trouble of typing it out.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 7:31 PM
thats weird, usually the louder exhaust makes you think its faster. hence ricers....

Riddle me this... riddle me that...
Saturday, May 24, 2008 7:58 PM
I don't really know it was just messing with me. I didn't think that back pressure mattered, but thats what my dad said.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 8:11 AM
Have a look at the link to the post that MadJack threw up. It's not backpressure so much as it is the air velocity out of your engine. Your dad is right to say that you need some restriction... but for the wrong reason.

As for feeling slower thing... since you only threw on a cat-back system I would suspect your exhaust velocity remains pretty close to stock (at least where it matters). As such it's probably in your head.
Sunday, May 25, 2008 12:44 PM
I kinda understood the link, we talked about that in my auto class at school.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:03 PM
Your powerband shifted upward.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:12 PM
I am getting a light weight pulley soon, so that should make up for any low end I lost.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 8:27 PM
MadJack wrote:Otto cyle engines do not need backpressure. They do need properly sized exhaust systems to operate in their designed power range. Please get the myth of not enough back-pressure out of your head. Please read Dispelling the backpressure myth.

+1,000,000

Sunday, May 25, 2008 8:31 PM
Guess it is just a common myth. Even when we were talking about it in class one of my friends still thought it was back pressure.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 11:44 PM
I must agree wholly with MadJack, as even in David Vizard's book "Performance with Economy", It's stated: The ideal level of back-pressure to have in a exhaust system is zero. However, proper pipe sizing is necessary for for proper exhaust velocity to be maintained for optimum scavenging.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Monday, May 26, 2008 1:59 AM
z yaaaa (the riddler) wrote:thats weird, usually the louder exhaust makes you think its faster. hence ricers....

It depends on the person.... yes most people think louder = faster... but some don't....

Personally.... it's a combination of things for me.... the audible but not overpowering sound of my exhaust, along with the way the intake whistles and the VERY subtle change in sound my cams make... leads my subconscious to think my car is faster....... although it is LOL

There is a difference between a fast sounding car and a loud car..... it's just that most people don't know the difference.

Monday, May 26, 2008 10:43 AM
Louder doesn't mean faster.
Pick up trucks can sound very loud but have no go.
Thanks for all the info. I am thinking about putting a header on, don't know if I will or not though.

Monday, May 26, 2008 6:22 PM
On an otherwise stock engine... a header won't do much more than change the sound of the exhaust... but if you plan on doing anything else to the car (cams, spray, blower, tune, ect...) than go for it.... although you will mist likely want to install a resonator with a header.

oh... and your preaching to the choir about that really loud but really slow pickup truck thing... they are thick around here.

Monday, May 26, 2008 7:03 PM
I have a cherry bomb on it now. I think the if I do, do the header that will be the last thing for a while.

Monday, May 26, 2008 10:12 PM
Ehh.... if you wan't to put one on there go ahead and do it..... I had a full exaust on my 2.4 (header and everything) before I did anything alse to it at all..... I won't hurt anything and all it will do it move your powerband up a little if anything... some people swear that it can free up a few HP, but when I did it... my car might have gained 1/10th in the 1/4 if that...

It wont do much... but it wont make the car slower as long as you have a decent exhaust setup..... go ahead.... you really don't have to worry about it poorly effecting anything as long as you do it right.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:58 AM
I will look into it more before I do it. Still don't know if I want to keep the car as a DD or not.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:41 PM
Bolt ons really don't affect DD status, so if it stays a DD, you don't need to worry about it if you get the header. Most won't really make any detrimental affect on your mileage. Plus, what's a car guy if his DD doesn't have a few mods? I'm doing a K&N filter, TRD exhaust and iridium spark plugs with my Corolla (at least as far as the engine goes, those are my plans. Half of a project car is planning and knowing where you want to go with it. The other half is building it, and having enough money to run what you planned).

2010 Honda Fit LX
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 4:56 AM
^^^ let us know how those iridium plugs work for ya..... I put Denso Iridium plugs in my 2.4 and it burnt them to the point that the car didn't run right in 2 weeks... so I went back to good old stock AC Delco platinums..... maybe I'm just unlucky though..... my ignition system has never really liked me.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:57 AM
MadJack wrote:Otto cyle engines do not need backpressure. They do need properly sized exhaust systems to operate in their designed power range. Please get the myth of not enough back-pressure out of your head. Please read Dispelling the backpressure myth.

Thank you! Thought I was going to have to rant....

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search