eco swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
eco swap
Friday, May 23, 2008 10:16 AM
i have a 2000 cavalier witth the 2.2 OHV...
budy can get me a blow 2.2eco or a 2.4eco from his work for a bill..
whats the biggist problem ima run into or where can iget info on tnis motor swap?
any info helps thanks

Re: eco swap
Friday, May 23, 2008 10:18 AM
info for that swap is all over this site. there are multiple stickies and threads about it.

it is a very easy swap, and you should only need powertrain, computer, and harness.

Friday, May 23, 2008 10:27 AM
cool thanks.. i figured that it would be fairly easy.

Friday, May 23, 2008 11:26 AM
the 2.2 is fairly easy..for your 2k+ anyway....the 2.4 eco is NOT easy

Friday, May 23, 2008 11:31 AM
^^^^ that is true, I didnt catch that.

Friday, May 23, 2008 2:16 PM
Just a relative question: Do the two Eco-tecs mentioned here share the same bellhousing? And what makes the 2.4 harder to swap-in?

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Monday, May 26, 2008 1:07 PM
the 2.4 comes out of a cobalt

Monday, May 26, 2008 5:55 PM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:Just a relative question: Do the two Eco-tecs mentioned here share the same bellhousing? And what makes the 2.4 harder to swap-in?

all ecotecs have the same bellhousing shape.

the 2.4 (as well as all 2006+ ecotec engines) have a 60-2 crank trigger wheel. the older 2.2 L61s have a 6+1. the different trigger pattern completely throws off the jbody ecu. there's 2 solutions:

1) stand alone ecu ala megasquirt, AEM, etc or
2) an externally mounted 6+1 trigger wheel sold on a few different websites.

also, the 2.4 ecotec has vvt which will not work since our ecus don't have the programming to control the system. the best course of action IMO would be a hybrid 2.4 block and 2.2 head with a stand alone controlling the setup (identical to what I'm doing with my 2.0/2.2 hybrid.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:23 AM
I think maybe I should clarify that "relative" question: When I said all, I meant both families as well (As in Saab's Bio-tec). I'd like to try to build an S-truck pushed around by a version of the famed "850hp on E (Ethanol)" Eco-tec engine, as ludicrous an idea that may seem, since the post-December '99-end of '03 built '00-'03 s-trucks with the 8th VIN character "5" are factory equipped for Flex-fuel capability... Fuel tank & lines, most specifically.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search