Race only air-filter - anyone use this? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Race only air-filter - anyone use this?
Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:01 AM
just curious if anyone on the forum here has or is using this air filter?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/9735/10002/-1

basically, this thing is a race only air filter. it is a stainless steel, very fine, mesh air filter. there is no cotton element behind it, straight stainless mesh, hence why its race only.

im asking because my air filter seems to be a restriction. whether its not large enough or just doesnt flow enough air, i dont know. im looking for this to be a track only application filter as im just not that comfortable driving through staging and back up the return road without a filter at all. running open intake, with no filter at all is always an option, but for piece of mind, i would like something on there to keep some stuff out.

i know,i can always make my own out of window repair mesh, which is an option right now for me too. its just there are a few reasons why i wouldnt mind this filter over window mesh:
- looks better
- seals better on the intake tube due to actually having an attached coupler
- i have a credit for $25 or $30 to the place that i can buy this filter at that i have no idea what the hell else i would spend it on.

problem is, its $86! i can build my own for alot less, it just wont look as good. if anyone has any info on making a decent looking and effective race only filter or intake cover like im interested in, let me know.

1997 Cavalier Z24 - 15.647 @ 88.02 MPH

Re: Race only air-filter - anyone use this?
Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:30 AM
Whats wrong with a K&N filter?

Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:45 AM
$86 for an air filter....enough said.

I would assure your current filter is no restriction, but if that's how you like wasting your money than who am I.

At one point or another an air filter becomes just that, an air filter. Race only LOL!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:22 PM
its considered race only because it doesnt filter. there is no cotton element behind the stainless steal. this should make it the least restrictive thing to run other than running no filter at all. it is basically just to keep big things like rocks from flying into your intake and getting sucked into the motor. it is another option rather than running a mesh or a screen covering the end of the intake tube.

its similar to those running a mesh or screen on a turbo compressor housing with no intake filter. its to keep stones and stuff out... im sure running the car without the current filter will net a less restrictive intake system and help bring my MAP pressures up as high as they can be, but im worried about running the car with no filter at all and this is what i found. they seem to be popular with some turbo crowds over seas.

anyways, i think ive decided to just run a screen or mesh made by myself for when i run on the track. thanks for the input anyways, its appreciated.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:28 PM
Looks like a waste, just something to buy since it is "race only". If it really is not filtering, wtf is the point. Im not trying to jump down your throat here by the way, I am just confused to the purpose. It looks like something a 16 year old would buy for his car, and tell everyone he has a racing filter.

I dont know how your intake is designed, but i think it would be rather hard to gulp down a rock....if thats what you are trying to block.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:53 PM
John Benham wrote:I dont know how your intake is designed, but i think it would be rather hard to gulp down a rock....if thats what you are trying to block.

thats basically the purpose of it. its to let alot of air through. it lets in smaller particles a normal filter would block, but blocks the bigger stuff. i dont think its worth $86 either, but the store i have the credit to always has big markups. the GR2 struts i have, they wanted the most out of any place i went for pricing.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:06 PM
i have a filter just like that, i guess my cars a official race car now. uh oh!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:07 PM
unless your airfilter is being sucked in on itself , then it is not restrictive

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:36 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(�)]unless your airfilter is being sucked in on itself , then it is not restrictive

no, if that happens your filter is useless, it can be a restriction long before that.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:37 PM
I'de just run whatever filter you have on the car when you drive it on the street.....

I have an Injen intake and filter on my car, (the same thing as a K&N) and the car doesn't even sound different with the filter off.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:36 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:$86 for an air filter....enough said.

Agreed.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:43 PM
if a normal intake filter is not a restriction on a boosted car...how is it restricting an NA car???

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:14 PM
If you are running a race only car at the drag stip normally you aren't even running an air filter, I don't plan on putting one on my drag car.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:49 PM
if it is only supposed to keep big things out then why dont you spend the 5 bucks to just get some screen from your local hardware store?

Veritas Aequitas

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:55 PM
Just get a good size K&N

Gotta keep the dust and particles out no matter if your on the track or not

Friday, May 23, 2008 1:04 AM
I really doubt that whatever filter you're running right now is a restriction. Assuming your registry is up to date, there are plenty of mods in your future before your current filter would become enough of a restriction to be worth doing anything about. And even then, my advice would be to just go to a larger cotton cone filter. Or perhaps a foam ITG filter. Right now you've got bigger restrictions in a stock head and cams than you do in your filter.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 23, 2008 2:57 AM
JerseyJayLN2 (Scarab) wrote:Right now you've got bigger restrictions in a stock head and cams than you do in your filter.

im refering to restrictions in the intake side of the motor. the head has nothing to do with the lower MAP pressure readings we are seeing. your right, going to a larger sized filter would solve the problem as the filter i have now only seems to be a restriction in the higher rpm. again, we havent confirmed this yet anyways and hopefully we do so soon.

Friday, May 23, 2008 9:31 AM
You're going to have to do me a favor and give me a more detailed description of what you're seeing with the MAP sensor. I'm assuming based on your last comment that you did before and after logs with the MAP voltage and now are seeing lower voltage than before? Someone refresh my memory, but does the MAP sensor read 0 vacuum at 5V or 0V? Its been a while since I've done any logging but I think it should be 5V at WOT, correct? If thats the case than yes, if you're seeing lower voltage readings now than before (at WOT) than perhaps you do have an issue with the filter. If its the reverse, and atmo is shown at 0V, then lower voltage readings would mean you have less vacuum, and less restriction than before.

However, if you're using one of the scan tools that converts MAP voltage to Hg/in, than less is good and means you have less restriction and are flowing better.

If you really believe this is your problem, I'd sooner recommend this than that stainless steel job. Its meant for 3 inch intake piping though and I believe most (if not all) off-the-shelf J-body intake systems are 2.5"-2.75".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, May 23, 2008 9:55 AM

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 23, 2008 2:26 PM
^^^^ I've never measured it.... but my intake piping is at least 3".....

vvv its in my sig.

Friday, May 23, 2008 9:40 PM
i don't know who is charging 85 dollars for that filter. but i can go down the street to auto zone and get the same exact filter for 40 dollars.
Friday, May 23, 2008 10:43 PM
Spectra filters are sold at autozone however I think they are the kind with the cotton behind the mesh not fully stainless steel like that one.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Saturday, May 24, 2008 2:58 PM
Simply stated...There is no such thing as a race only air filter....simply because most race cars dont use them. I have never seen an all out drag car with an air filter on it. Oval cars yes, straight cars no.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, May 24, 2008 5:41 PM
When I used to work at Autozone, couple years ago, we had that filter for $49.99, yes the "RACE ONLY", stainless mesh filter.

Gimmick, nuff said.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 7:12 PM
KFLO wrote:When I used to work at Autozone, couple years ago, we had that filter for $49.99, yes the "RACE ONLY", stainless mesh filter.

Gimmick, nuff said.

basically, ya. its pretty much designed to allow more small crap through, but larger crap out. i just made one out of aluminum window screening instead.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 5:45 PM
Map in KPA would be around 30 at idle (thats around 1 volt). At WOT in KPA it should be like 98-100. That is about 4.6 volt

Just to make it clear, you can see differnt readings on differnt days. The barometric pressure from one day can be differnt from another. Your altitude makes a differnce too, since atmospheric is slightly higher at closer to sea levels. So you can easly see a change in MAP voltage based on altitude, and the weather.

Watch the MAP reading with key on engine off. Record that reading. Then start the car, and go out and floor the thing. If the map reading returns to the original one you recorded, then there is POSITIVELY NO RESTRICTION. That jsut prooves that the engine is reaching atmospheric pressure.

An easy way to gain more power is have it reach atmospheric pressure more quickly. You can monitor this on a vaccum guage too. If your guage reads 20 in.hg at an idle, and you crack the throttle to WOT and the guage reads 0 in/hg then that once again prooves you have no restriction in your intake at all. Do some tests via the MAP and Vac guage method and see what you come up with. Im sure there will be very little differnce in the readings..

----------------------------------------------------------------
www.bradsairsoft.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search