benefits of ac removal - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
benefits of ac removal
Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:56 AM
What kind of benefits will i get from the removal of my ac system? WIll I gain a few ponies or is it compleatly pointless?

Re: benefits of ac removal
Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:07 AM
you dont really gain anything, but it can and should free up power. the a/c compressor on j's are clutched and should only come on when the a/c is turned on (it does cycle on some times with things like window defrost and such).

weather you delete it or bypass it, its less rotating mass. thats one more accessory that the motor doesnt have to spin. whether its turned on and putting an actual load on the motor or not, the rotating mass of the pulley and any friction in the bearings are gone when you bypass or delete it. completely deleting the a/c system will also free up some weight.

hope this helps, and next time search. this has been discussed many, many times. there are threads listing part numbers for bypass belts, bypass pulleys (which take place of the a/c pulley), and i think even one or two with more detailed info on removing it completely.

1997 Cavalier Z24 - 15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:29 PM
i gained a consistant .3 in the 1/4 with no belt at all so im sure just the a/c accounts for most of that

The one, the only, ME.
2340 lbs without me and dropping
141 hp @ 6300 (ran out of rpms)
123 ft lbs @ 5200
running lean on stock ECU
megasquirt here i come
Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:39 PM
no gain at all really

Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:48 PM
Maybe a gain of 1bhp and it will remove 20+ lbs for the car.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:57 PM
Skilz10179 wrote:Maybe a gain of 1bhp and it will remove 20+ lbs for the car.

actually its really not as heavy as you think, friend of mine had his out and he said the only reason he did it was for the space. didnt gain a thing except results on the butt dyno.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:29 PM
Vincent Morris wrote:
Skilz10179 wrote:Maybe a gain of 1bhp and it will remove 20+ lbs for the car.

actually its really not as heavy as you think, friend of mine had his out and he said the only reason he did it was for the space. didnt gain a thing except results on the butt dyno.

The compressor/condensor/dyer/lines weigh more than 20lbs. it's a good bit of weight off the front end of the car.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:41 PM
a couple advantages...

-less rotating mass, but nothing noticeable, as said earlier the compressor is on a clutch, when the compressor isn't turned on it just free wheels which robs pretyy much nothign in terms of power.

-less weight, the compressor it self weighs a decent amount, the lines and condensor and stuff as just thin aluminum, they weigh barely anything.

-more flow to the radiator, the condensor sits in front of the radiator, air has to go threw it to get to the radiator, take it out and its more airflow to the radiator. I'm not sure how much of a differnece it will make though.

overall its not a big power adding mod, its more of an "every little bit helps" kinda mod

Friday, May 23, 2008 1:09 AM
Like everybody else has said, the gain is more in weight reduction than anything else. The effort required to spin the AC pulley when the clutch isn't engaged is so minimal that its not robbing anything significant from the engine. But all told between the compressor, lines, condensor, evaporator, etc... it can be anywhere from 20-35 pounds off the car. Which is probably more weight reduction than removing the passenger and rear seats. The only catch is, thats weight reduction OFF the front wheels, which may or may not be good depending on what your want the car to do. For drag racing, weight off the front is bad juju. But for AutoX or road racing, it might be a benefit because it improves the overall weight distribution of the car and might make the handling a bit more balanced. Its one of those things where I say "if it works, leave it alone, if its broken and you don't want to spend the money to fix it, take it off".

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 23, 2008 4:31 AM
JerseyJayLN2 (Scarab) wrote:if it works, leave it alone, if its broken and you don't want to spend the money to fix it, take it off

thats probably the best way to think of it. I think all other benefits have been thoroughly discussed.

Friday, May 23, 2008 6:07 AM
If you dont use it, just get rid of it! I got rid of mine so I would have more space for my downpipe.

Just make sure the charge is gone before you take the lines off the firewall, you CAN remove them while it is charged, it will just blow off, sound like a gun shot and scare the @!#$ out of you! I did it! My ears were ringing for about 10 minutes!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search