connecting rods and pistons - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
connecting rods and pistons
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:00 PM
anyone know where i can get stock rods and pistons.... but pistons .020 to .030 over?

thanks

Re: connecting rods and pistons
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:16 PM
no clue, maybe www.gmpartsdirect.com

why not just go with forged?

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:50 PM
dont have the money for forged not going for alot of power... just want to rebuilt the spare engine i have and give it about 8 pounds of boost....

anyone else that can help?

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:12 PM
try hypereutectic pistons. i know autozone sells oversized ones. i think like 170 for a set with no rings which is why i did not go that way. could never come up with rings. although i never looked that hard.

http://www.autozone.com/N,15100237/shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm

Here is the link to the autozone website

"sometimes the respect is more important..."
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:18 PM
id still say save up and go forged.

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:23 PM
evilmonkitar wrote:id still say save up and go forged.

Agreed, even at only 8PSI you should get forged pistons...

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:07 PM
schmidty4343 wrote:try hypereutectic pistons. i know autozone sells oversized ones. i think like 170 for a set with no rings which is why i did not go that way. could never come up with rings. although i never looked that hard.

http://www.autozone.com/N,15100237/shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm

Here is the link to the autozone website

that says it for a 95 sohc quad 4...

will that fit my 99 2.4 LD9?

and if i can find forged pistons and rods at a decent price i would get them!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:11 PM
no i have my 96 Z24 saved as the default car on that website so those should be for the 2.4 LD9. But either way just go to the site search piston and put your car in. i will tell you that autozone does not and can not get piston rings for those pistons. at least that is what they told me and i am good friends with the guy that i buy all my stuff from so im sure he tried.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:29 PM
Save some money and get the right stuff the first time, especially if your gonna go through the hassle of boring and what not, mines well make it worth your time. Hypereutectic pistons are better than stock, but forged is still better. Keep your eyes on the classifieds. People but forged pistons and rods all the time and then don't do the work and sell them. I remember seeing some awhile back go for like $500 for both new.

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:29 PM
schmidty4343 wrote:no i have my 96 Z24 saved as the default car on that website so those should be for the 2.4 LD9. But either way just go to the site search piston and put your car in. i will tell you that autozone does not and can not get piston rings for those pistons. at least that is what they told me and i am good friends with the guy that i buy all my stuff from so im sure he tried.

do you think there is anywhere else i can get piston rings from that will fit these pistons?

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:09 PM
I have my stock pistons and rods, in real good condition. I swapt out for forged internals so now the stock pistons are just sitting there. If your interested I'll get some pics.

GMR has got nothing on this

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:42 PM
hmmmmm... let me measure my cylinders and see how worn they are.... i was just going to bring it to my local parts shop and have them bore it and get .020 pistons, but ill get back to you soon and let you know...

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:54 PM
Seriously buy new forged..they arent that much and if your going through all the trouble of building a new engine...your going to compramise it for a few hundred bucks? Not a good idea..
Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:21 AM
Autozone pistons - $170
New forged internals in classifieds: $300-$350

Not melting your pistons: priceless.

I would save, you will be happier in the end, especially since you can manipulate compression ratio, valve cutouts, etc.
Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:13 PM
John Benham wrote:Autozone pistons - $170
New forged internals in classifieds: $300-$350

Not melting your pistons: priceless.

I would save, you will be happier in the end, especially since you can manipulate compression ratio, valve cutouts, etc.

^^^^ Very good advice if you plan on adding any power to the motor but in the end its up to you. hypereutectic piston ARE stronger than stock and would hold up better but still are not as good as forged. but to answer your ? i would try all the part stores in your town. oreilly, advance, napa, bumper to bumper. GL with your build

Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:59 PM
alright, say i buy the forged pistons in the classifieds.... would it be okay to use hyperuetectic rods in the setup without harming them?

Sunday, March 16, 2008 7:44 PM
im not sure they make hypereutectic rods, just pistons. Also puttin forged pistons on stock rods would be pointless cause the reason for forged is to help keep your block in one piece. stock rods will hold some boost but not near as much as forged. they will snap like a chicken bone man honestly

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search