Intercooler Intake - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Intercooler Intake
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 11:48 AM
I have a 96 LD9 5spd. Hey guys I have most of my parts for my turbo install comin summer and was wondering if it would work if i went ahead and mounted my intercooler, routed some piping to the throttle body and used it for my intake. Would the intercooler work as a filter and be able to be used in place of my crappy WAI?

"sometimes the respect is more important..."

Re: Intercooler Intake
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 11:56 AM
it would be pointless as well as stupid. sweet f&f sig by the way.

look at this snowman over here

Blew it up, build numbers coming soon
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:01 PM
are you serious??? So it seems to me that its completely obvious that you have no idea what you are doing and will never end up turboing the car and just think you would look cool with an intercooler sticking out the front of your car.

Get the box of rocks out of your head, an intercooler has no filtering capabilities what so ever...

I think this post goes along with the "I want co2 for my car just so I can purge it and look cool!"

Jamie Alsowie status! hows the pouch?

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:01 PM
An intercooler is not a filter, nor can be used as one. It's a cooler. Just leave your WAI on till you get everything for your turbo set-up

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:05 PM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:are you serious??? So it seems to me that its completely obvious that you have no idea what you are doing and will never end up turboing the car and just think you would look cool with an intercooler sticking out the front of your car.

Get the box of rocks out of your head, an intercooler has no filtering capabilities what so ever...

I think this post goes along with the "I want co2 for my car just so I can purge it and look cool!"

Jamie Alsowie status! hows the pouch?

Never huh, well since my last LD9 motor in my car had a turbo on it really makes me think I will never turbo it either. If you are just gonna flame the person whos posts then I would think you could find something better to do.

"sometimes the respect is more important..."
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:14 PM
Yea, I'm not so sure how much of that I believe, or how much you had to do with it either way... You have no concept of the way an intercooler works, it is one of the simplest parts of a turbo setup, why would I believe you had a turbo before? If you did you obviously didn't install it yourself or have anything to do with the install or the purchase of it. If you want me to flame I can start to flame, but based on your post, that is what it seems like you were looking to do.

LD9Stunner wrote:it would be pointless as well as stupid.

RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:
quote]

Tinkles wrote:An intercooler is not a filter, nor can be used as one. It's a cooler.

BTW, The Stunner wasn't really complimenting you on your F&F sig, @!#$ magician....

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:13 PM
the air going THROUGH the intercooler is meant to be cooled and then transferred into the intake track.

if you simply hooked it up via some piping... it would not filter, the only way i could see it working is if you put a filter on the other end of the intercooler.

the do make intake kits for other cars that are the same basic concept, its just instead of the intercooler its a flat filter that LOOKS like an intercooler.

Wanting a nice set of black 17's with mint tires? Pm me.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:19 PM
So on a turbo setup the pipe going from the intercooler to the TB is supposed to have a filter on it?? I don't know of any turbo setups that run filters on the charge piping.....

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:22 PM
/thread jack

does anyone know if my radaitor filters my coolant??? Thats its job right?????

/end thread jack

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:25 PM
Just punch the intake pipe through the front of the car and stick a velocity stack on the end of it. Also if you are going to put and intercooler on your car so it will look cool just get one off of ebay since they are cheap. If you are really going to get a turbo get a good intercooler and just wait to install it with the whole turbo kit.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:30 PM
I found what you were looking for! It is for ricer civics so you will have to do custom work to make it fit.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:08 PM
If the idea is to cool the air down for the intake, then no. Without the air temp being raised by the boost, the intercooler will do no good.

As for filtering.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:36 PM

There's too much blood in my caffeine stream.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:16 PM
Good way to clog your intercooler with debris
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:50 PM
jbody never ceases to amaze me.....

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:17 PM
Timothy Pietraallo wrote:So on a turbo setup the pipe going from the intercooler to the TB is supposed to have a filter on it?? I don't know of any turbo setups that run filters on the charge piping.....

no, you dont run a filter there. but it would work if you put a filter on one end of the intercooler (yes the hot side charge pipe would be feeding this if running a turbo) and the 'intake' on the other side going to the TB (yes this side would be the cold side output).

but this is dumb anyways.... the intake would be way to damn long to be effective anyways.

Wanting a nice set of black 17's with mint tires? Pm me.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:34 PM
I love the text on that picture:

"Cold Air Front mount is inter Cooler is look Non-Turbo..."

WOOOOOW!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:16 PM
just slap a filter directly on your TB lol

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:27 PM
just for clarification, no the intercooler does not act as a filter. on a turbo car, the filter does not go on the intercooler, becuase the intercooler goes AFTER the turbo, and the filter goes BEFORE, so the piping with the filter on it would go into the turbo, and the intercooler would go between the turbo and the TB. I really thought everyone knew this. If you're looking to turbo your car, and you don't know what sequence the air passes thru the system, and/or you are considering driving your car without an air filter, you have a LOT of reasearch to do.
Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:03 AM
Gayest thread ever.

Like said before if you have no concept of how an intercooler even works how are you going to boost your vehicle?

Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:02 AM
notice the name on the filter pipe....take the "on" off the end

NEUTR

lol........that thing will leave your car with no balls
Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:04 AM
Just mount your intercooler where you would like and maybe start working on some charge piping, but don't install the piping. Thats what I did. I drove the car for like a month with the intercooler installed just no piping.

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:49 PM
whiteboyz24 wrote:notice the name on the filter pipe....take the "on" off the end

NEUTR

lol........that thing will leave your car with no balls

well, considering it's size and shape, It would have to rob power. I mean, you'll have to mount it inside your trunk, thats the only place with enough space where it won't get wet.
Thursday, March 13, 2008 11:36 PM
I know im probably wrong, but i think he is talking about putting a cone filter on the other end of the intercooler, like instead of coming from the turbo, it comes from a cone filter, to the intercooler, to the TB.

I don't see any real benefit, it seems to confuse things too much.

I'm back from the dead.
Currently Driving: RSX Type-S.
My Cavalier Burnt up :-(
Friday, March 14, 2008 12:53 PM
reading owns you

He asked if it could act as the filter, but I thought the same thing as you at first. It MIGHT bring temp down a few degrees at high speed, but it's not hotter than ambient air soo... yeah.

There's too much blood in my caffeine stream.
Friday, March 14, 2008 1:01 PM
this thread is retarded.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search