I'M IN TROUBLE!!! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I'M IN TROUBLE!!!
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:15 PM
so today i drove to class in which i take the highway. the car was running fine. I get out of class and get in the car and everything is fine at first. Then, i get out of the 20 mph zone and go to give the car gas and it sounds like my intake fell off! it was lound and sounded like it was sucking alot of air. The car also sounded like i was rattling a can with pennies in it whenever i let off the gas and let the rpms go down. the car wouldn't go above 20 mph and if i tried to give it gas, it would boggle down and if i did it enough, it would die. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY CAR? i have never had a problem with the car other than it seeming like i need a new catalytic converter. PLEASE HELP!

Re: I'M IN TROUBLE!!!
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:31 PM
spun #3 rod bearing and cracked piston.... Welcome to the wonderful world of LD9's.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:37 PM
Whalesac wrote:spun #3 rod bearing and cracked piston.... Welcome to the wonderful world of LD9's.

huh????? I have seen many spun bearings, but never seen one that would not drive normal.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:42 PM
John Higgins wrote:
Whalesac wrote:spun #3 rod bearing and cracked piston.... Welcome to the wonderful world of LD9's.

huh????? I have seen many spun bearings, but never seen one that would not drive normal.

LD9 = "0" deck height which means nowhere for the cast piston to go but straight into the bottom of the head when clearance between the rod and crankshaft excede it's tolerances. I've been there...barely made it home.

-

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:45 PM
Whalesac wrote:
John Higgins wrote:

LD9 = "0" deck height which means nowhere for the cast piston to go but straight into the bottom of the head when clearance between the rod and crankshaft excede it's tolerances. I've been there...barely made it home.

hmmmm so the 5 spun bearings 2.4's I have worked on were just lucky I guess.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:57 PM

OK ..........*

So when something's wrong with an LD9 its automatically a rod bearing? No

Pull the plugs see if ones smashed then you"ll know if your pistons in your head.

Have you looked under the hood and even looked for your self?
I think we need a lil more detail to help out.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:42 PM
keyboard mechanics.. gotta love them .

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 7:11 PM
Ya check your plugs for sure

Did you keep up on your regular maintenance?

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:37 PM
Did your intake actually fall off and rip/disconnect a vacuum line or two?

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:58 PM
oh geez, that sounds worse than i thought!

i have kept up on the maintenance. I got the oil changed last month and i had the spark plugs replaced a couple months before that. The only thing i needed was a new catalytic converter (so the place said when i got my oil changed and spark plugs replaced).

What is an estimate of how much its going to cost to fix all this?

I will pull the plugs tomorrow after class and see whats going on. i just cant believe it come out of nowhere.

thanks for the replies
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:36 AM
Cat converter was going to be my suggestion, plus if they said you needed one... start your car up and smell the exhaust, if it smells like rotten eggs then I win.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:36 AM
Whalesac wrote:
John Higgins wrote:

Uh, newsflash, zero deck height, and zero valve clearance are two completely different things.... If you've got enough slop in the connecting rod to hit valves, its more likely the bearing has magically disappeared through tinkerbell's fairy magic than spun. If it was from a spun bearing there'd have been a crap load of knocking a LONG time before it hit a valve.

Anyway, sounds like an ignition problem most likely, although the OP's description of the problem is probably one of the more horrendously undetailed ones I've read on here. Check plugs, ICM, etc. Since it sounds like its on acceleration under a heavier load, that typically indicates an ignition issue.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:53 AM
I agree with Scarab, I've had that issue on my red cav in the past. granted mine is ohv....but i lost one of my coils and your symptoms listed were exactly what I had happen to me.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:21 AM
KFLO wrote:Cat converter was going to be my suggestion, plus if they said you needed one... start your car up and smell the exhaust, if it smells like rotten eggs then I win.

Could be this as well. My 89 cavy had a bad cat and it would not drive more than 30mph once the cat got warm, but it also had no power to start with.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:53 AM
Paul Tjepkes (N/A MADNESS) wrote:

OK ..........*

So when something's wrong with an LD9 its automatically a rod bearing? No

Pull the plugs see if ones smashed then you"ll know if your pistons in your head.

I should have said "Sounds like......". My appologies. I didn't mean what I said as absolutely the problem. It was just a suggestion of what it might be. Piston will most likely not be "stuck in the head" though. The piston will more than likely still be connected to the rod, except wih broken ring lands.
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:
Whalesac wrote:
John Higgins wrote:

Uh, newsflash, zero deck height, and zero valve clearance are two completely different things.... If you've got enough slop in the connecting rod to hit valves, its more likely the bearing has magically disappeared through tinkerbell's fairy magic than spun. If it was from a spun bearing there'd have been a crap load of knocking a LONG time before it hit a valve.

Anyway, sounds like an ignition problem most likely, although the OP's description of the problem is probably one of the more horrendously undetailed ones I've read on here. Check plugs, ICM, etc. Since it sounds like its on acceleration under a heavier load, that typically indicates an ignition issue.

Learn to read before flying off the handle Scarab. When someone says "clearance" it doesn't automatically mean valve to piston clearance. The rod bearings are allowed a set amount of play or "clearance". I even said nowhere for the cast piston to go but straight into the bottom of the head . No one said anything about valves.

Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:
Whalesac wrote:
John Higgins wrote:

Da Boss (ts) wrote:so today i drove to class in which i take the highway. the car was running fine. I get out of class and get in the car and everything is fine at first. Then, i get out of the 20 mph zone and go to give the car gas and it sounds like my intake fell off! it was lound and sounded like it was sucking alot of air. The car also sounded like i was rattling a can with pennies in it whenever i let off the gas and let the rpms go down. the car wouldn't go above 20 mph and if i tried to give it gas, it would boggle down and if i did it enough, it would die. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY CAR? i have never had a problem with the car other than it seeming like i need a new catalytic converter. PLEASE HELP!

Unless he has some VEEERRRRRYYYY serious ignition problems, he shouldn't be knocking like that under such a light load. You can even get screwy power problems with a faulty TPS as well, but under low RPMS, you aren't going to get knocking like he claims. Just for @!#$s and giggles, let me ask this to the original poster: Does your engine have close to or more than 90k miles on it?
Short Hand wrote:keyboard mechanics.. gotta love them .

That is exactly what the OP is asking for. If he wanted a real accurate diagnosis of his problem, he wouldn't ask people who can't see, hear or smell the problem first hand. And I gave the best diagnosis I can based on the typical problems seen by LD9 owners compared to the symptoms the OP gave. And since ALL HE WILL GET is the advice of keyboard mechanics, no one here can be sure of his problem.

And on that note, GOODBYE JBO.

-

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:53 AM
first thing I would do is pull out the front o2 sensor and try driving it if the cat is clogged it will drive slot more normal because the exhaust can exit precat out the o2 sensor hole. Granted it wont run 100% but you'd see an improvement. If it improves replace the cat.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 4:38 PM
got the car towed in yesterday and the verdict is......

the catalytic converter!!!! i knew it was getting bad, but i think with the cold weather, it kept it from heating up to the point that it would keep the car from running....and now that the weather has warmed up, it greatly affected it
Saturday, March 15, 2008 11:27 PM
damn, i was guessing that it was the idi cover was not tightened enough and that your individual coil packs werent tight

4-2-1 pacesetter header..full 2.5 pacesetter piping..bomz cai..genkei short shifter..vibrant front and rear strut bars..aem tru power alt pulley..neon glow strobes..xenon ultra blues..panasonic 7" flipout..Lanzar 15" sub..legacy 2000watt mono..
Sunday, March 16, 2008 5:59 AM
I have to say I'm baffled at how that could cause the metal rattling sound that you described.
I was reading through this thinking that it was going to be the timing chain.
That would make the rattling if it was loose, and if it somehow jumped a tooth, it would explain the lack of power, and the loudness.

Did you get it back with the new cat yet?

Sunday, March 16, 2008 6:40 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:I have to say I'm baffled at how that could cause the metal rattling sound that you described.
I was reading through this thinking that it was going to be the timing chain.
That would make the rattling if it was loose, and if it somehow jumped a tooth, it would explain the lack of power, and the loudness.

Did you get it back with the new cat yet?

You have never heard a bad cat rattle? It is funny everyone on here will say start your car and smell the exhaust, if you smell rotten egg it is your cat. I have never had a bad cat smell, but have had a few rattle.

FU Tuning

Sunday, March 16, 2008 5:49 PM
LOL

I thought my dad's V-Dub Jetta had a shot engine, heard that rattle but the exhaust smelled okay... Turns out it was the catalytic converter.

Now the cat and the 4 banger sound almost the same.

Hurray for VW reliability!

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 6:03 PM
Its not all that uncommon for a cat to go bad and cause this problem, especially if it breaks up. The rattle would be caused by the cat over heating and breaking loose from the converter body. Its very common. The rod bearing suggestion was just plain assinine (sp) to throw out as a possibility right away.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 8:22 PM
*****UPDATE*****

got the car back with the new cat, and it runs!!!

but notice i just said runs.

it works fine at idle and if your just driving "normal", but if you try to get the rpm's up or fly around someone, it is misfiring/boggling down/sputtering....AND I DONT KNOW WHY!!!! i just want my car to run like normal and i figured after getting the cat replaced it would work....PLEASE HELP!!!
Monday, March 17, 2008 8:49 AM
Are you sure someone did not stick a potato in your tailpipe?

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:15 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:Are you sure someone did not stick a potato in your tailpipe?

Or perhaps drilled holes in the stereo!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search