Oil Squirters - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil Squirters
Thursday, January 03, 2008 6:33 PM
Do they have a fan spray pattern? I ask, because I was reading about them and one place says to aim it towards the center of the piston, while another site said the oil strikes the cylinder wall and bottom of the piston to cool the piston. Unless it has a fan spray pattern, I don't see how one squirter could cool the piston evenly. However, looking at the shape of the tips of the squirters, they look like they would spray a narrow stream.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.

Re: Oil Squirters
Sunday, February 03, 2008 10:21 AM
bump

-

Sunday, February 03, 2008 10:38 AM
a) so ya like squirters eh?

b) they could have an internal needle/compressed in the rear to create a fan-like shape

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Sunday, February 03, 2008 1:25 PM
Machzel08 (Teh Jew) wrote:a) so ya like squirters eh?

b) they could have an internal needle/compressed in the rear to create a fan-like shape

a) Indeed. The wetter the better

b) good point, but I would still like to know "for sure" how they spray.

-

Sunday, February 03, 2008 2:35 PM
grab a few and squirt stuff through them.

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Monday, February 04, 2008 5:31 AM
Performance engine builders usually pull those off of cars that come with them. A lot of DSM guys go to NA blocks to avoid them on builds.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Monday, February 04, 2008 4:03 PM
OHV notec wrote:Performance engine builders usually pull those off of cars that come with them. A lot of DSM guys go to NA blocks to avoid them on builds.

Interesting.

Well I know they starve the main bearings of oil on some engines, which leads to failure. My guess is, that is probably the main reason the DSM guys don't like them.

-

Monday, February 04, 2008 4:18 PM
Whalesac wrote:
OHV notec wrote:Performance engine builders usually pull those off of cars that come with them. A lot of DSM guys go to NA blocks to avoid them on builds.

Interesting.

Well I know they starve the main bearings of oil on some engines, which leads to failure. My guess is, that is probably the main reason the DSM guys don't like them.

I know the k20 guys love them. One of the main advantages between a base model and a type-s rsx motor

Monday, February 04, 2008 4:41 PM
brian...let us in on your secrets

Monday, February 04, 2008 4:43 PM
this is a good debate to listen in on....

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 12:58 PM
You refer to the 9000 RPM screamer?

------------------------------------
We all drive in a yellow Cavalier...

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 4:17 PM
AutoFreak57 wrote:
Whalesac wrote:
Interesting.

I know the k20 guys love them. One of the main advantages between a base model and a type-s rsx motor
It was also an "advantage" on the turbo blocks.

Reasons are 1) They are a liability. If one comes loose, you're screwed. It's similar to removing balance shafts because of the belt.
2) Oil on pistons adds significant weight where you don't want it while you're revving (think of how many people add crank scrapers).
3) They work just fine WITHOUT them

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 4:23 PM
IIRC chris (sweetnessGT) has oil squirters in his LD9.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 4:26 PM
I've always thought about using the SRT4 or Cobalt SS/SC ones aimed at the exhaust side of the piston.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 5:45 PM
You can coat the pistons with a oil sheding coating but it still wont act as tho you wern't throwing oil at them, you'll definetly know in your reving. The real question here is would they benefits out weigh the costs.....?
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:27 PM
OHV notec wrote:
Reasons are 1) They are a liability. If one comes loose, you're screwed. It's similar to removing balance shafts because of the belt.

Good point, but a quad 4 oil pump is held on by 2 bolts, and if they come lose, then you will be even more screwed. I really don't see the likelyhood of the squirter's bolt(s) backing itself out under normal circumstances.
OHV notec wrote:2) Oil on pistons adds significant weight where you don't want it while you're revving (think of how many people add crank scrapers).

I don't understand your coorelation of oil squirters and crank scrapers. Crank scrappers' only purpose is to prevent windage from the reservoir of oil in the oil pan. You always have oil running down the cylinders into the oil pan anyways, now there is just a little more. The negative force the oil squirts exerts on a piston on it's power stroke will be negated by another squirters force on the compression stroke (in a similar manner as Crank Case pressures are evened out by opposing pistons...wtih the exception of air in the combustion chamber escaping past the rings).

-

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:40 PM
i was just talking to my friend and he was saying the rsx guys take them off when they build. Not for reliability, but they are just not needed with aftermarket forged pistons. the new pistons can take so much more heat they are not necessary. Also, the extra oil pressure you get from removing them can help.

Thursday, February 07, 2008 3:47 PM
Whalesac wrote:
OHV notec wrote:I don't understand your coorelation of oil squirters and crank scrapers. Crank scrappers' only purpose is to prevent windage from the reservoir of oil in the oil pan. You always have oil running down the cylinders into the oil pan anyways, now there is just a little more. The negative force the oil squirts exerts on a piston on it's power stroke will be negated by another squirters force on the compression stroke (in a similar manner as Crank Case pressures are evened out by opposing pistons...wtih the exception of air in the combustion chamber escaping past the rings).
The crank scraper does not prevent windage...that is what a windage tray is for. The crank scraper removes oil from the crankshaft itself.
Accelerating mass requires energy, therefore, removing mass (in this case it's in the form of oil) frees up energy for other purposes (moving your car). Scraping oil off the crankshaft and scraping oil off the pistons is just like lightening them (coincidentally, lightening cranks and pistons is common practice). When you aren't spraying oil onto the bottom of your piston (through squirters), you aren't adding the extra weight and robbing power.

It has nothing to do with the force of the oil hitting the piston as you stated, that is negligible at best.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:02 AM
^100% exact and agree Notec
Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:25 AM
Squirters are only an advantage where detonation is likely to be a problem. Turbo diesels with high compression or 4 cyl engines looking for maximum power using the lightest possible components are good candidates for squirters. Just for grins, someone should look through the Eco*tec build guide and see if GM recommends 'em in the 1000 hp build formula. Anyway, with modern ceramic thermal barrier coatings and proper piston selection combined with good tuning, I'd predict there's no need for squirters on anything below 25 psi boost.

-->Slow
Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:21 PM
AutoFreak57 wrote:i was just talking to my friend and he was saying the rsx guys take them off when they build. Not for reliability, but they are just not needed with aftermarket forged pistons. the new pistons can take so much more heat they are not necessary. Also, the extra oil pressure you get from removing them can help.

DING DING DING.....im sure in very EXTREME situations they could benefit forged also

but the reason people take them out and block them off is so the mains can stay more lubricated and not starve them especially in high RPM applications

daily: 99 civic Si
deceased: 95 cavy '00 LD9 auto swap (vandalized)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search