Stage 2 Patriot Head for OHV? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stage 2 Patriot Head for OHV?
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:26 PM
Appearently it is true, comes with oversized valves and a 5 angle valve job. Its only 50 bucks more then the other one.
Clicky

Re: Stage 2 Patriot Head for OHV?
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:55 PM
more than which other one?

Infantry!!!
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:58 PM
The other one is the stage one head. Its the only one listed on the patriot website. There have been some confusion on if there was a stage 2 head availible for the 2.2 ohv.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:59 PM
Im going to call them. If it is only that much, Im gonna get the fully assembled one.....699.99. Not a bad deal. Wonder if they will give flow charts

Infantry!!!
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:04 PM
They probably will give you the flow charts, but I dont think there would be a major gain over the stage 1, a fully assembled head with oversized valves is a very good deal, to buy the valves alone is going to be 100 bucks!
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:57 PM
think about it.... a 5 anlge job job and oversized valves for $50... that alone should tell you something about the quality of patriot. Do you really think they are gonna sell things for lose? Its the same way with the eco head.... its $200 more for the full upgrade valve train and valves... yet if you actually go out and buy quailty stuff your looking at over $1,000 for those parts they sell as a $200 upgrade.

Patriot sucks

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:45 AM
Not to start the argument up again, but the Patriot Stage 2 head DID handle up to 8000 rpm on PJ's ecotec, and when something finally broke, it was one of the FACTORY hydraulic lash adjusters, and not any of the valvetrain parts that Patriot themselves selected.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:04 AM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:Not to start the argument up again, but the Patriot Stage 2 head DID handle up to 8000 rpm on PJ's ecotec, and when something finally broke, it was one of the FACTORY hydraulic lash adjusters, and not any of the valvetrain parts that Patriot themselves selected.

I never saw a post where his broke... any other info? I have the same head awaiting install with cams this winter. I don't want the same to happen at 8k'ish

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:04 PM
Darkstars wrote:think about it.... a 5 anlge job job and oversized valves for $50... that alone should tell you something about the quality of patriot. Do you really think they are gonna sell things for lose?

Patriot sucks

That is the differnce in price for the bare / unassembled head stage II head over the stage I bare head. The stage II assembled head is $699.95.

The Quality of the work on the Patriot heads has been good, it's the parts they use don't always have the durability they need. The machine shop I worked at did quite a few motors with the Patriot heads, but assmbled them with better quality parts.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:19 PM
If only AFR made Heads for JBodys

that would be awesome

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:25 AM
Airtonics wrote:
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:Not to start the argument up again, but the Patriot Stage 2 head DID handle up to 8000 rpm on PJ's ecotec, and when something finally broke, it was one of the FACTORY hydraulic lash adjusters, and not any of the valvetrain parts that Patriot themselves selected.

I never saw a post where his broke... any other info? I have the same head awaiting install with cams this winter. I don't want the same to happen at 8k'ish

Yeah the lash adjuster cracked off the top end of the plunger. Not really sure exactly what caused it. Once the adjuster came off the follower simply fell out of place and so the valve stopped opening. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the head, valve, or anything else except the adjuster. I'm pretty sure he's already got it fixed and ready to go back on once the new bottom end is built.

Anyway.... I'm finding it suspicious to see this on another site, but I just went to patriot's site yesterday and there was no listing for the OHV anymore. Discontinued? Temporarily removed? Under construction?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Friday, January 25, 2008 9:44 AM
Yah, under 2.2OHV it's empty. This site does look new compared to the one i remember. Perhaps they are just getting this on up and running. Or their updating that page.

Friday, January 25, 2008 10:36 AM
Its a new site alright, if it weas discontinued i think they would have removed the ohv altogether.
Friday, January 25, 2008 1:28 PM
say a person didn't want to rev up to 8k rpm's...and only wanted to rev to the stock limit. Would this head be worthwhile?

Infantry!!!
Friday, January 25, 2008 2:10 PM
Yeah. Revving to 8k with the 2.2 OHV is probably not going to happen ever. This head will give you the backbone for a built engine, this head and a few supporting mods will be very worth while.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search