big power loss after custom built motor. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
big power loss after custom built motor.
Monday, January 07, 2008 10:32 PM
whats up guys i have a 98 sunfire gt and i just finish building my motor but now the motor lost some balls big time. here is what i got
wiseco 9:1 .020 bore pistons
eagle rods
clevitte bearings
2.3 oil swap
ho manifold
carcustoms valves 1mm over sized
3 angle port and polish
obx header
secret cams
aem alt pulley
rksport crank pulley
boosted cometic head gasket
well those are the main things, and i know that im building this car for boost i just want to break in the engine before i put on the turbo but now that i have it running im trying to put miles in it and my car has no balls at all. is that normal cause of the lower compression? i checked compression and it checked out fine and the only code i got is my egr one. should i worry. my car had a lot more balls when it was just stock. my cousin has a 2200 cavalier and he can take off in second gear and take me out nasty. my car doesnt knock i checked oil psi and thats good too.. the only thing i dont have is fuel modications is that a factor?

Re: big power loss after custom built motor.
Monday, January 07, 2008 10:42 PM
wow that blows lol
Monday, January 07, 2008 10:48 PM
Because of lower compression maybe?

Is it going to get fuel and tuning? That'd help I bet
Monday, January 07, 2008 10:50 PM
Have you tuned it at all? You have changed a lot and on a stock tune its going to run like $hit. Fuel mods wouldn't bee needed as long as your not running more then stock RPM I wouldn't think. If your a while away from the turbo then spend a little cash and get a small tune done. My 2 cents...

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Monday, January 07, 2008 10:55 PM
cool then so just a tune should help it. and what exactly does that consist of? sorry but once it comes to tuning i go blank.
Monday, January 07, 2008 10:58 PM
lack of tuning, lower compression, +1 valves, ported head, cams, h.o. mani..... I'm not suprised it feels slow, your low end power is all but gone. Basically the engine is deisnged for boost, without boost its not gonna perform. Thats alot of air flow through the motor but I dought there is much air velocity. I wouldn't be to concerned.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 12:28 AM
get that car tuned, but the secret cams are too mild for the car in N/A right now hence your car feeling like dog@!#$.

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 5:11 AM
A motor built for boost isnt gonna have power when its not boosted. Example: Big rigs are nutless with a major boost leak or failed turbo. Even after the tune i wouldnt expect it to have more power than stock, but just wait until you get the boost on it.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 5:18 AM
I have pretty much the same build as you.. After my build I ran the car n/a for about 1500 miles to break it in, and was sloowwww lol.. Like said before, your car is built for boost so you wont have power until you put the lil snail on it Just be patient, its worth the wait

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, January 08, 2008 6:17 AM
I've been thinking the same thing the past few days. I got my built motor back up and running, and it's also built for boost. similar specs, 9.0:1 compression, boost cam, 1mm+ valves, patriot performance ported head, so I know what you mean when you say it feels slow. I thought something would be wrong too. I thought it may be because I have slightly larger injectors in there, and it may have been something with that, but after reading all of these posts, I'm sure it's just from the CR and the other air flow mods. The only tuning I can do is increase or decrease the fuel pressure, and I think i've got it at a good point around 44 psi. I'm gonna get a megasquirt installed and tune it some to make back some power, but a turbo is the only thing that's going to "give it balls" as you would say.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 7:06 AM
like darkstars said, a boosted motor usually requires boost to feel fast.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 6:45 PM
sweet. cant wait to put in my turbo and nitrous kit on
Tuesday, January 08, 2008 7:03 PM
Guys don't forget SpeedRacers built for boost 2.4 that put down 171whp N/A. I'm thinking mainly tuning. Also butt dyno's suck!!

FU Tuning

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 7:05 PM
Do I have thought of built my engine similar to that of Frikken it is advisable to use those same parts with a supercharger M-45??
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search