What Wires To Use for 2.4L MSD Swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What Wires To Use for 2.4L MSD Swap
Monday, January 07, 2008 7:28 AM
I got my stuff for the MSD swap. What wires are people using? Should I buy a universal msd wire set? Make my own? I heard from one of my friends that people just use regular 2.2 wires. Does MSD make a set of wires for the 2.2L that I can use on my 2.4L with the msd?

Also for the people who have done the swap, how did you mount your MSD coils under the hood and where. Pictures would be much appriciated.

Any information would be helpful.

Re: What Wires To Use for 2.4L MSD Swap
Monday, January 07, 2008 7:48 AM
i just used new 2.2 wires with mine and they work fine so far..might upgrade later but i dont see a need to hurry...heres how i mounted mine..

Monday, January 07, 2008 8:34 AM
Scott,

Did you use the 2.2 bracket like green monkey used in his kit? Or did you make your own bracket?
Monday, January 07, 2008 8:46 AM
Im using 2.2 coils/wires right now, but I got some msd wires made for a saturn or something along with msd #8224 coils coming.

My coils arent even mounted right now, their just kind of sitting there cause I need more wire for the icm plugs. Then theyll prolly be mounted to the strut tower with some self tapping screws.

Anyone got some 2.2 icm plugs with atleast like 8" of wire with them that they dont need?

Monday, January 07, 2008 9:35 AM
NeoJuice wrote:Scott,

Did you use the 2.2 bracket like green monkey used in his kit? Or did you make your own bracket?

Is he sick? lol . It's Wrench Monkey.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Monday, January 07, 2008 9:57 AM
I made my own..its pretty easy...i simply used bolted the coils to a couple equal length pieces of aluminum and used an "L bracket" to bolt the assembly to the strut mount...i used some thing weather strip on the back side( you can see it) to keep vibrations down and avoid paint scratches ...i just didnt have access to a 2.2 bracket

Monday, January 07, 2008 10:20 AM
Whalesac wrote:
NeoJuice wrote:Scott,

Is he sick? lol . It's Wrench Monkey.

I actually laughed out loud when I read that. I was tired this morning when I made the post. I knew it was monkey something. hehe I was just to lazy to look at the msd post.
Monday, January 07, 2008 10:27 AM
scott (section8cav) wrote:I made my own..its pretty easy...i simply used bolted the coils to a couple equal length pieces of aluminum and used an "L bracket" to bolt the assembly to the strut mount...i used some thing weather strip on the back side( you can see it) to keep vibrations down and avoid paint scratches ...i just didnt have access to a 2.2 bracket

That's cool. Do you know if the 2.2 bracket will mount right up to the strut tower?
Monday, January 07, 2008 2:48 PM
I used some MSD wires from a 99GTP S/C v6... Obviously I only used 4 of the longest wires that come with the set..

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 6:57 PM
I bought a set of Accele wires that you can custom make as far as lenght and connections.
They came out perfect with the setup and are 8mm, low resistance wires.
This is the only way I go when it comes to doing something like a custom ignition system.
To buy premade/ prefab wires takes out the custom value to the build.
Besides, with custom length, it just has a look that you can't get with prefab wires.

Nothing like having it custom.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:09 AM
Misnblu wrote:I bought a set of Accele wires that you can custom make as far as lenght and connections.
They came out perfect with the setup and are 8mm, low resistance wires.
This is the only way I go when it comes to doing something like a custom ignition system.
To buy premade/ prefab wires takes out the custom value to the build.
Besides, with custom length, it just has a look that you can't get with prefab wires.

Nothing like having it custom.

What kind of ends did you use on the spark plug wires between the cam towers? Straight long connectors or 90 degree?

Thursday, January 10, 2008 3:52 PM
I used straight, long connectors for the actual sparkplugs.
They work great and with the depth of the v in the cam towers, needed long ends for the wires.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search