My exhaust theory - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My exhaust theory
Wednesday, January 02, 2008 10:13 PM
right now i have 2.4L with an 086 head and am looking to make a dual exhaust system.

my idea was to take a DC Sports 2 piece 4-2-1 header and never connect to one. then put a cat on each and so on.

if im correct then cyl 1,3 and 2,4 fire together which is how they they merge till they reach one. so it will give a same effect as a true dual exhaust right

Re: My exhaust theory
Wednesday, January 02, 2008 10:35 PM
No. Firing order is 1-3-4-2. If anything, you would want cylinders 1&4 and 2&3 paired together...and unless you are revving to 10K+ you will be losing a significant amount of exhaust velocity (not to mention the added weight from all of that extra piping). So, it would really be more detrimental to performance than helpful. Even most V6 engines use a Y-pipe to bring the exhaust into one pipe.

How large are the primaries on the DC header anyways? Most 2.4L headers use too small of a diameter primary to work well with the 086 head.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Wednesday, January 02, 2008 11:26 PM
You're other WAY WAY WAY cheaper than the DC header would be a LO manifold. They are 4-2-1. But like said above, not worth your time working with 2 exhaust. FYI, 2.3 Ho = 2.5" exhaust and you forget about it.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, January 06, 2008 8:56 AM
you also have to think about back-pressure
Sunday, January 06, 2008 9:03 AM
your wasting your time

Sunday, January 06, 2008 9:11 AM
Backpressure is for wannabe.

Go with 2.25 at the MINIMUM and 2.5 mendrel would be good

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, January 06, 2008 11:54 AM
brad mitchell wrote:you also have to think about back-pressure

back pressure is a myth.

keeping the cylinders separate will hurt power. they have to work together in order to help scavenge the other cylinders of exhaust gases.

dual exhaust is for V engines, not in-lines.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 6:07 PM
so the concensus is that a "true" dual exhaust would just hurt performance more than anything? is there any real way to make a dual exhaust system thats good for anything besides looks? i'm gonna have dual exits either way .. but if theres a way to do it either "right" or more efficiently so to speak i'd like to know how to go about it

www.driftnamiperformance.com
Sunday, January 06, 2008 6:18 PM
Come into 1 and then split it towards the back of the car?
Sunday, January 06, 2008 9:41 PM
If you're using forced induction, the only disadvantages are weight and cost. I've thought of doing this myself when (if ever) I get my supercharger. One thing to consider: if you use 2 cats, they may never reach their operating temperature, and therefore will be like having no cats at all, but you'll still have the restriction of a cat (well, 1/2 the restriction, since it's divided).
Monday, January 07, 2008 11:11 AM
ah, so i guess i'll just go with a y-pipe then

www.driftnamiperformance.com

Monday, January 07, 2008 12:16 PM
yep thats what i did just a y pipe(well not really a y but it splits and goes acroos the rear axle then bends back to the bumper) after the cat and then two mufflers right at the exit of the exhaust

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, January 07, 2008 12:17 PM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search