2.4L engine mount on Ecotec - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4L engine mount on Ecotec
Thursday, January 03, 2008 8:08 PM
It's sad to say that something on the 2.4 is stronger than the ecotec, but the upper motor mount on the 2.4L is a lot stronger.

Being a victim of ecotec mount failure (snapped in half) I found myself looking for something stronger.

I had a spare cavalier with a blown 2.4L engine in the driveway. So, I went about trying to make it work on an ecotec.

I used a solid aluminum rectangle 1.5" wide by 1.5" tall by 7.5" (or so) Then drilled holes for the 10.9 grade bolts to go through.
The result:

Now I can put in the prothane insert when I go to the track and take it out when I don't want the dash to vibrate.

Comments....

Re: 2.4L engine mount on Ecotec
Thursday, January 03, 2008 8:15 PM
Intersting, but then again my car doesn't seem to vibrate with the trans bushings, lower mount, and RKS upper.

Thursday, January 03, 2008 8:25 PM
When I had the prothane trans mounts in, the stock eco upper mount, and the prothane lower mount, the car vibrated like crazy.
I haven't tried the upper prothane yet with the 2.4 mount.
Vibs were very minimal when I installed the trans mounts, but you could tell a difference. I would say the best value mod. was the trans mounts. So easy to hit your shifts now.

Friday, January 04, 2008 4:38 PM
i remember years ago someone did this. I think he just swapped the whole 2.4l mount onto the ecotec. It actually raised the engine up a inch.

Look up john higgens and ask him about it on joshs turbo ecotec.

Friday, January 04, 2008 5:12 PM
^^
I remember reading that once. But when I went to try it, It raised the engine up 1 1/2". That's why I have the aluminum bar (spacer). To level the engine.

Friday, January 04, 2008 7:31 PM
Good memory Jake. Yes we did put a 2.4 mount on a Ecotec without a spacer. Yes it did raise the motor about a inch, maybe 1 1/2. Ran that way for a very long time no issues. I would have to say if it was me I would just get a TTR upper mount. Stiffer, nicer, cleaner.

FU Tuning

Friday, January 04, 2008 8:08 PM
Yeah when Phil and i designed the new 2.4 mount we used my stock ecotec motor mount, took it, ground it out to make it fit, then put it on to test fit then measured the height difference between the 2. now there is the new 2.4 mount and also the new eco mount is tough too. may as well just upgrade on it and be better off. mine hardly vibrates at all unless the ac is on and im at idle. but i dont htink im going to have to deal with ac this year

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search