Relocating Cat - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Relocating Cat
Friday, January 04, 2008 6:56 AM
just wondering if the cat could be moved farther up near the manifold. im gettin ready do my exhuast, completely 2.25 thru with glasspack, straight thru muffler, and stock cat-possibly a aftermarket(dynatech). im askin cuz i havent had time yet to crawl under it and check...thanks for any opions or info

Re: Relocating Cat
Friday, January 04, 2008 7:07 AM
It sure can. There is really no need to buy an aftermarket cat since the center section of yours is bigger than 2.25. You just have the exhaust shop cut the end of then weld on the 2.25 pipe.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Friday, January 04, 2008 3:28 PM
ok thanks for the info, saves me from buying a cat now. im actually doing all of this myself with the help of one of my buddies who has his own complete shop....he'll bend the tube, i can weld it all myself and he'll only charge for the materials and a lil bit for the use of his shop. but thanks again!
Friday, January 04, 2008 9:56 PM
This is a very wise move emissions wise as the closer to the engine the catalytic is placed the sooner the light-off & and more effective it is. The only reason so many of us find it placed under the passenger floorpan is because of when catalytics were a new thing to cars they consisted of a bed of platinum & paladium coated pellets (Monolithic brick catalytics had yet to be developed) that exhaust gasses were forced to flow through in order to cleanse them. Their size, shape & make-up made them awkward to fit in the relatively limited space there was to be found and they only are effective one them reach operating temperature. The best way to acheive this was to place it in the exhaust stream as close to the engine as posible (Guess where that was).
All current common catalytic placements are done as habit drawn from those early years. So yes, you may move it closer. You might get more from it in your total rewards gained from this measure than you hoped to come emissions testing time.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search