ARP head studs? pull the cams? Ecotec 2.2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ARP head studs? pull the cams? Ecotec 2.2
Thursday, January 03, 2008 10:06 PM
i have talked to someone who said they pulled the cams to do it, and someone who said there is no need to pull the cams and you can replace them one by one. so i was just curious on what people have done who have installed them.

Re: ARP head studs? pull the cams? Ecotec 2.2
Friday, January 04, 2008 5:24 AM
You have to pull the cams out as the head of some of the bolts are under them. Off the top of my head there are two or four bolts that you can't get to without pulling the cams first, been a while since I pulled an eco head off. IMO I would remove the cams and all your stock bolts then start fresh with your new studs following the factory diagram as to the order of tightening them down. You also might want to give ARP a call and see what they recommend for torque settings as they are usally different than the stock torque specs and use plenty of ARP assembly lude on the threads of the studs. Also remember to only install the studs into the block finger tight (I usally use an allen key to snug them up). They will tighten into the block when you torque them down.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Friday, January 04, 2008 5:27 AM
no you don't have to remove the cams actually the cams aren't in the way at all. and do 1 by 1. that way you don't mess up the head to block seal.

Friday, January 04, 2008 6:11 AM
lol thisis the same thing i keep hearing from people yes and no haha

Friday, January 04, 2008 6:22 AM
Me personally i would pull the head and put a new head gasket on while your in there, just for piece of mind.....

Btw im not sure but can you use the LSJ headgasket? if so its a 3 layer MLS gasket so its thicker then stock so it would drop the CR a bit. Just something to think about.

Friday, January 04, 2008 8:45 AM
Before I did my engine build I put ARP studs on my eco. I did one at a time and the cams are not in the way. There is plenty of room and It is very easy!!
Friday, January 04, 2008 2:55 PM
the only reason i wouldnt pull the head is because i dont want to pull the chain pull the cams, and all that. i suppose if the head gasket goes then it goes haha. but tom, wont be able to do the install this weekend. jet hot called today wanting a form of payment and its gonna take like 10 days to do the manifold. so may take like 2 weeks lol.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search