o2 sensor problems - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
o2 sensor problems
Monday, December 03, 2007 10:29 PM
i have an 02 2200 with a full exhaust... problem is i just moved to NY where you can't have the check engine light on to pass inspection. does anybody know how to bypass or cheat the upstream sensor so my light won't come on 15 minutes after resetting the ecu?

Re: o2 sensor problems
Thursday, December 06, 2007 8:17 PM
does anybody know anything about this?

Don't you bottom out?

- Yes I do
Thursday, December 06, 2007 9:01 PM
yep, put a cat on.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, December 07, 2007 5:42 AM
it has a cat it's the upstream sensor been wacky since i put the header on

Don't you bottom out?

- Yes I do
Friday, December 07, 2007 7:02 AM
No, that sensor can not be faked, simulated, or disabled.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, December 07, 2007 7:16 AM
Pull the cluster tear it apart and tape over the bulb for the check engine light. That sounds like the only way, but if they scan the ECU your screwed. I am recommending this only as a last option, I personally wouldnt do it. Or maybe you could change the sensor, maybe its bad?

Saturday, December 15, 2007 10:57 AM
maybe you have a bad sensor. i worked at a place that did inspections. if you reset your ecu and go get it inspected your ecu wont read anything. which means you would have to bring it back again. if you hide the check engine light it wont matter. the machine plugs into your obd2 plug. it will read not ready if you ahve an engine light and you fail. so try to get a new sensor

ECOtec DOHC

Saturday, December 15, 2007 1:06 PM
What code is it throwing? When you installed the header did you extend the wires? If so maybe check those connections. Also could be a bad sensor.

FU Tuning

Monday, December 17, 2007 12:35 AM
Could also be that the senosr isn't getting warm enough. What code is it giving you? Theres a fairly detailed thread in this forum about replacing the stock sensor with a heated sensor on cars that have had a header put on, I have done this on mine, but didn't have time to run the heater wires at the time, and now its too bloody cold, but thank goodness it has been working well, no codes yet and no drivability problems.

Monday, December 17, 2007 1:08 PM
My Cat is gone, i Went to 02Slimulator.com and bought this one http://www.o2simulator.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9&zenid=8436bbc0ca1c680bb0355d416c96f10a , you have to wire it in to the 02 connector, There is a Power, 2 Grounds and a Signal Wire, i passed A computer Inspection, where they read your ECU and passed you just have to make sure no one sees the Simulator i can give the specs on the Colors and the wires if you need them.
Monday, December 17, 2007 1:19 PM
yea thats for the Second one after the cat i miss understood the other sensor is only one wire it must have just gotting pulled on to much

Monday, December 17, 2007 1:28 PM
Tinkles wrote:Pull the cluster tear it apart and tape over the bulb for the check engine light. That sounds like the only way, but if they scan the ECU your screwed.

that will never work. one you turn the key on the check engine light comes on for a second then goes off... if it doesn't come on right then they know the bulb is brokken or disabled... either way you fail. Then they scan the car.. if there are any faults you fail. Not every fault will throw a light which is why its scanned everytime. If you try to clear the fault before showing up it doesn't work. When you clear the fault you clear the rediness code in the ECU... when a system tests itself and it passes its recorded in the by the rediness monitors. If all the rediness tests haven't been passed you fail.

Monday, December 17, 2007 2:01 PM
ok so i bought a new sensor..... reset ecu still threw the light i'm beginning to wonder if it's a flow issue because the plug bung seems to put the sensor really far into the header in any case i'm not sure anybody have any other input?

Don't you bottom out?

- Yes I do
Monday, December 17, 2007 6:51 PM
Again what code is it throwing??

FU Tuning

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:53 PM
DTC P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency

Don't you bottom out?

- Yes I do
Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:17 PM
guess i shouldn't have replaced the front o2 sensor that was definitely not it

Don't you bottom out?

- Yes I do
Tuesday, December 18, 2007 9:18 PM
Well the code is for the primary o2 sensor (front O2 sensor). Again when you instyalled the header did you have to extend the wiring? If so your p[roblem might be there.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 9:26 PM
P0420 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical Description

Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
What does that mean?

Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream (after) the catalytic converter on bank 1 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.
Symptoms

You will likely not notice any driveability problems, although there may be symptoms.
Causes

A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for
* An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
* The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
* Damaged exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe
* Retarded spark timing

so i guess my list of possible things has gone up going to have to start one by one process of elimination.... one thing is for sure i didn't use leaded gas LOL and i don't think my timing is off at least i have some time to play with it before my inspection comes up

Don't you bottom out?

- Yes I do
Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:27 PM
Find someone with HP tuners, problem fixed in 5 min or less

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:02 AM
Sorry when I posted lastnight I did not think correctly. Prime is right HPT is a easy fix for this. The list of things you posted ignore them.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search