2.4L Head Build & Cams - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4L Head Build & Cams
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 4:36 PM
If any of you have been keeping up with my posts lately, I'm in the process of doing a lot of work to the Cav. Much of it is in preparation of the turbo project come spring time. Anyway, the block is already fully built, and now I'm working on the head. I didn't plan on doing much to the head, but I can get a killer deal on a P&P job, so I'm going all out. Here is what is planned:

Port and Polish
3 angle valve job
1mm oversize SS valves
2.3 springs, 2.3 retainers, 2.3 seats, 2.4 keepers
Some combination of HO cams.

I have a number of options as far as cams go:

1. I can have my stock cams sent in and have them reground to around .380 - .390 lift. (Probably easiest choice. No need to have bigger lifters, no PS hex drive needed.)

2. Either comp or crower makes a set of cams that are higher lift. Not sure on price or the exact lift yet. Waiting for the machine shop to get back to me. (Again, fairly easy b/c the PS hex is already on the intake cam.)

3. Use the 2.3L HO exhaust cam with the 2.3L exhaust tower or a 2.4L bored out tower. Then modify a 2.3L HO intake cam to work with the PS hex drive. (More difficult because I must also figure a way to get the cam sensor to work)

4. Use the 2.3L HO exhaust cam with the 2.3L exhaust tower or a 2.4L bored out tower. Then send in my stock intake cam and have it reground to around .380 lift. (I am leaning towards this choice because I can easily get the high lift with the HO exhaust cam with no modification necessary. Also, the intake is fairly easy because it only needs to be reground. No bigger lifters needed and no PS hex drive needed to be modified)

What do you guys think about the choices? Also, any other parts you would recommend to get while I'm doing all of this head work? Ahh yes, and does anyone have part numbers for the 2.3L springs, retainers, and seats??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, December 04, 2007 4:51 PM

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R

Re: 2.4L Head Build & Cams
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 6:29 PM
i had no idea comp or crower was making 2.4 cams...

also, where would u be getting your stockers reground, that sounds good to me...

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 6:39 PM
Yeah i need to know where I can get the stocker intake cam reground to ho specs.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 6:48 PM
z yaaaa wrote:i had no idea comp or crower was making 2.4 cams...

also, where would u be getting your stockers reground, that sounds good to me...

I didn't know that either. But according to the guy at the machine shop I work with, he said that one of those two companies makes them. It's a new item for them apparently. It's a local shop that I work with. I think they send them out somewhere to be reground. I can check on where. Maybe if enough people are interested, I could maybe get some kind of GP going.

jmarks82(Bulldog) wrote:Yeah i need to know where I can get the stocker intake cam reground to ho specs.

They can't regrind them to HO specs. HO spec of .410 lift is too high. Stock cams can apparently only be reground to around .380

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, December 04, 2007 6:49 PM

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 7:29 PM
Luke Heier wrote:

jmarks82(Bulldog) wrote:Yeah i need to know where I can get the stocker intake cam reground to ho specs.

They can't regrind them to HO specs. HO spec of .410 lift is too high. Stock cams can apparently only be reground to around .380

Can't or won't?
Please ask them why, because that makes no sense to me unless they are just trying to appeal to the larger mass of 2.4 owners that don't know they need larger lifters.

Depending on how daring you want to be with the motor, Jegs also still has the HG2 cams from comp cams in their inventory for around $210

53-000-5I OLDSMOBILE 2.3 Quad 4 Intake
53-000-5E OLDSMOBILE 2.3 Quad 4 Exhaust

you would probably need reliefs and the intake would need to be modified unless you were to use the quad 4 belt driven power steering.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 7:39 PM
Brian Whalen wrote:
Luke Heier wrote:

Can't or won't?
Please ask them why, because that makes no sense to me unless they are just trying to appeal to the larger mass of 2.4 owners that don't know they need larger lifters.

Depending on how daring you want to be with the motor, Jegs also still has the HG2 cams from comp cams in their inventory for around $210

53-000-5I OLDSMOBILE 2.3 Quad 4 Intake
53-000-5E OLDSMOBILE 2.3 Quad 4 Exhaust

you would probably need reliefs and the intake would need to be modified unless you were to use the quad 4 belt driven power steering.

They can't because of the way the 2.4L cams are. It simply isn't feasible to do it. They weren't designed to ever be ground for that much lift.

I'm not going to go that big. I already have the block built. I'm not reordering pistons with reliefs and disassembling everything. I'm sticking to the choices I listed in the first post. Just need some opinions on the choices I listed.

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 7:52 PM
^^^ well, HO cams are probably the most responsive mild cams with boost. I'm sure you remember Skilz made almost 300 whp on less than 10psi. I will most likely be running those when I boost as well.

-

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 5:03 AM
they cant grind stock cam to Ho specs due to the clearances in between the cam lobes and lifters if they are ground to much the lifter will come out of its cyl (bore) further than they should. you would also get major lifter slap for the same reasons if the lifters don't touch the bottom of the lobes then the lobes come around and slap the lifters if you get what iam saying. to get more lift from the same cam they have to make the diameter of the lobes circle smaller.

Hard to explain.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 11:43 AM
^^^^^ I believe you explained it well enough.

hmmm. Well, I always thought a regrind involved adding material to the cam (if ground for higher lift and/or duration). But even if the cams didn't mate up to the bottom of the lobe, wafers used to set valve lash could be used between the valve spring and lifter to take up the gap. That way you could still get the higher lift and duration you desire.

I guess I still don't understand how you can increase the lift of a cam without adding material to the camshaft or seating the lifter higher (via a longer valve, spacer, etc.) on a smaller diameter camshaft.

-

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 3:30 PM
hydraulic lifters is how i believe, the lifter is always in contact with the cam lobe therefore if the base is reground smaller the lifter takes up the space and now that distance is moved and the difference between the base and the lobe = the new lift . that explains how if the 2.4 cam is ground too much the lifter couldnt expand far enough to catch the new base and theres ur prob, also that explains how u dont need bigger diameter lifters to make up for the length of the lobe hittin the tower, its not a longer lobe just a difference in the base to lobe now where the base was changed.

and ive been following u luke cant wait to see this beast.

Thursday, December 06, 2007 8:02 PM
gmanz24 wrote:and ive been following u luke cant wait to see this beast.

Thanks man!

Anyone have any part numbers? I came up with a few, but not sure if they are correct. And for some reason I can't find 2.3L seats anywhere....

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R

Saturday, December 08, 2007 10:13 AM
Hey guys I have decided to stay with the 2.4 intake cam as well and just have in reground. Can I still use the 35mm lifters with the stock 2.4 cam since I will have the HO exhaust cam?

"sometimes the respect is more important..."
Saturday, December 08, 2007 11:50 PM
why wouldn't you just stick with 33mm lifters on the intake side then? and use 35mm on the exhaust side?

Sunday, December 09, 2007 1:00 AM
Paul Tjepkes (N/A MADNESS) wrote:why wouldn't you just stick with 33mm lifters on the intake side then? and use 35mm on the exhaust side?

x2

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Sunday, December 09, 2007 1:05 AM
Luke where are you getting your head ported Iam in the market for a new ported head that's flow benched.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:19 PM
Paul Tjepkes (N/A MADNESS) wrote:Luke where are you getting your head ported Iam in the market for a new ported head that's flow benched.

x2

I also may be interested in some cam work

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/importkilla32/Bullit.JPG
Friday, December 14, 2007 12:51 PM
Part number for HO exhaust cam?

Friday, December 14, 2007 1:40 PM
schmidty4343 wrote:Part number for HO exhaust cam?

The GM part number is the same between the HO and LO cams.

-

Friday, December 14, 2007 3:15 PM
K well i have found all the rest of the parts I want expect 2.3 seats and the HO cam what site to order seats off of? Also what year and vin is the HO from I will probably just get my cam from a parts yard.

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:13 PM
Brian Whalen wrote:

so what do you tell them when you wanna get the HO cams?

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:31 PM
If you want HO cams, you don't need get them from GM. You can get them from Autozone. Melling makes them. The part number for the intake cam is MC1235 and the exhaust cam is MC1236. The lifters are JB-2236. All of those part numbers are reference to a 2.3L A 140 DOHC engine out of a 1992 Grand Am GT. The specs on the intake cam are .410 lift and 212 duration. The specs on the exhaust cam are .410 lift, but no duration stated. Just a heads up.

AutoZone's website isn't working correctly, but IIRC the cams are around $105 each. I didn't think that was too bad. Especially since the exhaust cam is a direct drop-in with a 2.3L tower.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, December 14, 2007 6:33 PM

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R

Friday, December 14, 2007 11:34 PM
well i knew they were available in the aftermarket, its just when i go to my local parts house they always ask me for the VIN number, idk... i researched it awhile back and ive since forgoten the information. VIN A?

thanks for the info though luke, im sure it will come in handy some time when i wanna get them.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 4:34 AM
^^Yup, Vin "A" is what you're looking for.

1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:14 AM
Brian Whalen wrote:

That is, the dumbest thing i have ever heard of.

i guess the part number between a GM crate LS1 and LT1 will be the same too then...

what part numbers do you want?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Saturday, December 15, 2007 9:59 AM
^^^ I meant the casting number is the same. My appologies.

-

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search