2200 engine noise after build normal ? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2200 engine noise after build normal ?
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:11 PM
a while baxk i installed my 2200 engine built list of mods :

cold air intake
2 1/2 exhaust
port and polished head
head is also shaved 20 thosandths
arp head studs
s/s valves
cometic head gasket .030
crane roller rockers
crane p-rods
30 over bore
align bored
decked 10ths
balanced
volenia forged pistons 9:1
eagle rods
polished and lightened crank
all new internal parts
ported intake man
57mm throttle body
cavalier conn under drive pulleys
aeromotive fpr
walbro 255 fuel pump
nos direct port wet kit 125 shot
r/c 195cc inj
complete msd set up dis 2 inter blocks coils
trans has a red eagle upgrade kit with a yank 2900 stall converter

now ive never actually heard a built engine like this run but it sounds almost like a diesiel running some clatter from the top end it sounds like it hasent been sprayed yet (needs to be tuned) but it runs great pulls good and its been like this for a while . i ve heard it all from its rocker noise to the forged internals to its just a ohv motor but im picky so i want to be sure . so has anyone else with a built motor experienced more engine noise than what their stk engine made .

13's or blowning it. wayhttp://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e175/slowfire99/100_0463.jpg

Re: 2200 engine noise after build normal ?
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:26 PM
A higher compression ratio will cause it to some extent...
Did you oil everything in the head before putting it back?

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:32 PM
yea everthing was oiled i removed the valve cover and let it run plenty of oil up top and the pressure seemed fine no lights from the pressure sensor .

13's or blowning it. wayhttp://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e175/slowfire99/100_0463.jpg
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:48 PM
soak the lifters in oil before for 24 hours or so before you put them in? Forged pistons are known for "slapping" a little when you first start the car because they're more prone to thermal expansion, meaning they have to be machined a little smaller to compensate. If its making noise all the time though, you have a problem somewhere.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 8:11 PM
I dont know a hell of a lot....but....from some noise my research, Crane rocker arms can cause some noise if not aligned or adjusted quite right .

Nice build btw....Dyno it?

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:33 AM
not to get off topic but how much did you pay for the red eagle upgrade kit?
Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:12 PM
Double check the rockers, they need to be re-torqued down probably. When I installed the comp. cam rockers in my old '96 I noticed a loud clatter sound the rockers were making, I re-torqued them and the sound went away, but a 2.2L is prone to sounding like a diesal anyway with higher mileage so I wouldn't be suprised that a built one sounds like that.

Also with the crane rockers I'm pretty sure due to their size you have to do some grinding of the rocker guide (the metal piece down below) and the valve cover...do a search on here, and make sure there's no metal on metal contact in there with the rockers because you don't want to wreck your engine due to metal shavings.

Don't buy from MANTAPART!!
Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:14 PM
Also check your belt tensioner, it's usually a culprit for that sound as well and should be be replaced too.

Don't buy from MANTAPART!!
Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:45 PM
When the motor is off can you twist the rockers from side to side? Theyre the first thing I would check, if you re-adjust them down and the noise goes away, thats your problem.

You might also take a screwdriver or something and put it to the rocker stud and listen to it while the motor is running, do this to all 8, if you hear a slapping sound, then its either the lash, or the lifter. (im not 100% sure this would rule out the forged pistons sound because ive never heard it lol)

My car has bad lifters and you can hear it from like 100 feet away (embarassing) and it gets plenty of oil up top, so i wouldnt rule them out.

You might also want to double check your pushrods are the correct length, Id think the required length would change being shaved and decked. I was told that the lifters can only compensate for so much of a change (.015 to .02 idk what the decimal for thousandths is).

Good luck with it, and get it dyno'd!

What did you have done to it before you built it and how does it compare?

Most importantly, PICS

cheers
Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:13 PM
the red eagle kit cost me about 200 , ill check the rockers and retorque them thanks for all the advice . also no it hasnt been to the dyno yet but you can really tell the difference thanks

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search