Powder coating stock alternator? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Powder coating stock alternator?
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 3:32 PM
First off, I searched, but did not really find anything that helped me out.

I was wondering if it is possible to powder coat the stock alternator? I have a 2200 so the alternator is very visible and it looks really crappy. I would really like to get it powder coated black to help improve the overall look of the engine bay.

If it is possible, does the alternator need to be taken apart or anything before having it powder coated? Also, how hard is the alternator to remove? Would I be better having a professional do it since I'm not very mechanically inclined?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Powder coating stock alternator?
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 3:50 PM
It's not hard to get the alternator out. It does need to be disassembled, and then send the shell out (might as well do the pulley and fan while you're at it )

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 4:01 PM
How hard is it to disassemble? What do you mean about the pulley and fan?

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:08 PM
here's my 2.4 alt. powdercoated gloss black...

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:31 PM
You ever get that alternator to work?

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 8:17 PM
carrie i'd have a shop take it apart and put it back together personally. and if you'd like i still have a stock alt for the 220 i could let go for cheap.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:56 PM
Spray paint it like that other guy did...

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:05 AM
J TO ENVY wrote:How hard is it to disassemble? What do you mean about the pulley and fan?

Here's a video on how to rebuild the CS144 alternator, so it shows how to take it apart. Not exactly what you have, but it should be very similar to disassemble, gotta figure they're all made at the same place.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdFA6WF8lVg
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKbX7mezuFM

Both vids are about 10 mins long.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:06 AM
^^^ He's also good at explaining what each part is, what it does, and how to PROPERLY re-install it.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:57 AM
well idk if the OHV alt is the same or similar to the 2.4... but when we tried to take mine apart to get to just the case, we got one side taken off and the other side was held on by the wiring or something on the inside. we tried a soldiering iron to break the connections lose but we had zero luck, my dad said that it just wouldnt get hot enough.

if i were you id have a shop do it.... the shop that did mine put all brand new 180 amp guts inside it and did the powdercoating for $275.00. pm me if you'd like them to do yours.

kurt- thats yet to be determind, i need to get a stock sized (md ld9 when they come out) crank pulley and a non optish!t battery in there to fully utilize its capabilities.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:01 PM
sndsgood wrote:carrie i'd have a shop take it apart and put it back together personally. and if you'd like i still have a stock alt for the 220 i could let go for cheap.

that is what i told her also

plus a shop that does rebuilding will be able to replace and questionable parts to help the alt live longer

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:04 PM
z yaaaa wrote:well idk if the OHV alt is the same or similar to the 2.4... but when we tried to take mine apart to get to just the case, we got one side taken off and the other side was held on by the wiring or something on the inside. we tried a soldiering iron to break the connections lose but we had zero luck, my dad said that it just wouldnt get hot enough.

if i were you id have a shop do it.... the shop that did mine put all brand new 180 amp guts inside it and did the powdercoating for $275.00. pm me if you'd like them to do yours.

kurt- thats yet to be determind, i need to get a stock sized (md ld9 when they come out) crank pulley and a non optish!t battery in there to fully utilize its capabilities.

ive got a crank pulley and alt from md ld9 , if your interested they are blue

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:59 PM
J TO ENVY wrote:How hard is it to disassemble? What do you mean about the pulley and fan?

Most alternators have a small fan right behind the pulley that draws cooling air through it to keep the rectifier from overheating. Some of them are flat on the front, others are stamped out of sheet metal. These are usually a separate piece from the pulley. If you're going to take the time to powdercoat the alternating case, you might as well get these parts of it painted or powdercoated or anodized while it's apart. Make it all look nice.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search