Motor and Re-build kit question. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Motor and Re-build kit question.
Thursday, November 22, 2007 10:41 PM
This is not really a noob question so please do not see it as one and flame.

I have a 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier. I would like to completely re-build a motor using a bought re-build kit. I would like to have a decent racing motor......I am tired of losing to honda's lmfao. I can do all the work I am just having problems choosing the BEST motor. I want to have the BEST motor possible and the best re-build kit possible.

Re: Motor and Re-build kit question.
Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:11 AM
you don't have enough information to give a real answer, like your budget, the specs on your car, or anything.....if you have a 2.2 Cav you could do a 3400 swap, but requires money, but if you have a 2.4 there are alot of options for the car........just do a search you would be surprised what other people have done to their cars.....if you are losing to a honda........look up the mods some people are doing and be the judge for yourself.

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:19 PM
You tried not to be a noob and you turned out to sound like a complete noob....

hmm.

Start with what AJB said, budget and stuff.

Also, what is a "rebuild kit"?

Typically if your looking for a rebuild kit you assemble the parts together yourself, you dont just buy a box of parts already heaped together for you. Especially not for the performance side of things. I would assume you probably only have the gasket set, in which case you'll prolly wanna trash the headgasket you just bought because if your serious with power your going to need better then OEM.

What car, engine, plans, and budget.

and WTf is a rebuild kit....

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:26 PM
Im currently rebuilding my 2.4L LD9 motor with forged internals. Now as far as the best motor, Id say the newer ecotec would be better but i still would think a Quad would do the job just as good. Up to you but either option you will have many many options to mod and beat any vtec honda out there if built right.

GMR has got nothing on this
Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:43 PM
Usualy its cheaper to get better performance parts than new OEM parts. What are you after for this engine?

You dont have to scrap the stock head gasket if you have a new one. I am using a stock GM graphite head gasket in my 2.4L, as far as I am concerned the only option other than stock would be copper and I dont see that being all the nessicary. Cometic is crap as far as I am concerned. If you have an Eco then you have a MLS gasket to start with. Have seen several push rod motors hold up very well with boost and stock head gasket.

I am thinking of a new motor for my car using lots of 2.3L and 2.4L parts.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search