Timing after 2.4 water pump. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Timing after 2.4 water pump.
Friday, November 23, 2007 10:39 AM
I did the impossible!!!!! I managed to move the chain a little! I had two bolts to hold the cams in place. i had the crank lined up to the block and the bolts were put in. Now when I wanted to put the chain on i was mesing around at the crank trying to get it on nice and I felt it slip! Like the intake sprocket came down a little. My whold heart dropped at I stood up to cheak at the bolts holding the cams were crooked. There was a little play but I put teflon to make them fit snug and be straight. Now I dont know what to do! Any help whould be great! Thanks in advance.

Re: Timing after 2.4 water pump.
Friday, November 23, 2007 10:54 AM
I also marked the chain and the crank teeth but cant seem to figure out what jusmped.
Friday, November 23, 2007 1:46 PM
Daniel Noriega wrote:I also marked the chain and the crank teeth but cant seem to figure out what jusmped.

In the past when doing the timing on a 2.4 in the car still. We have had the chain actually jump teeth. Meaning when you stood up it looks like the chain is still on all teeth and leaving you confused. I'm sure this is what happened. We use to use 2 flat head screwdrivers holding pressure on the chain (on top of the gears on the cams) to keep the chain from jumping.

FU Tuning

Friday, November 23, 2007 3:08 PM
well after messing with it for a while.. it didnt want to go exactly how I had it. I remember the bolts holding the cams were straight and I marked the chain and crank teeth. Then I put the tensioner on and it moved clockwise. It felt like the teeth were not seated right and then when I went to install it it jumped like you said. But I tryed to correct it and after a hour of messing with it and feeling sick from thinking about blowing the motor I got it close but now quite how i had it. So said @!#$ it and put it back together. Now I start the car and it runs fine throught every rpm except at idel I have a small backfire, stumble, not much but it you can feel/hear it a little. Once I get past 1000-1100 rpm it feels smooth like I never touched it. IS IT SAfE TO RUN LIKE THIS? I just blew my engine in my other car due to timing/valve adjustment and dont need to swap another motor. Thanks.
Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:50 PM
Well I took it apart again and got it timed perfect! and geforce said it cant be done!
Saturday, November 24, 2007 7:14 PM
I had the same happen to me.
It slipped one notch on the exhaust side, causing the timing to be off by one tooth.
It never ran right or idled correctly so I had to take it all apart again and retimed it all over again.
The second time was the charm.
Sometimes things like this happen.
Glad you got it going.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, November 24, 2007 7:47 PM
It runs/idles nice now. The chain is real tight no matter how I turn it. The crank lines up with the block and the pins slide right in. Theres no slack at all. I even used the old chain and tensioner... I read to get them new but I go by what aint broke dont fix it! Anyways its nice and im proud of myself!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search