2.2L -> 2.4L - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2L -> 2.4L
Saturday, November 10, 2007 5:08 PM
I'm not talking about a swap. Is it possible to take my 2.2L Ecotec and turn it into a 2.4L Ecotec? I don't know how much room there is between the cylinder walls, or if one could increase the stroke. Also, if it is doable, would it have similar characteristics to that of a Cobalt 2.4?

Thanks.

Re: 2.2L -> 2.4L
Saturday, November 10, 2007 5:53 PM
honestly im not too impressed with the 2.4 vvt engine. i drive cobalt's with them in em a lot at work and they dont seem to be that fast. i say boost the 2.2 and be done with it.

Monday, November 12, 2007 4:03 PM
BOOST mmmmmmmmm

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:50 PM
bore out your 2.2 a bit, lengthen the stroke but don't make it an all out 2.4 stroker or then it wouldn't be very wise to put it under boost.

Monday, November 12, 2007 7:40 PM
Thrice . wrote:bore out your 2.2 a bit, lengthen the stroke but don't make it an all out 2.4 stroker or then it wouldn't be very wise to put it under boost.

why? whats wrong with boosting a stroked motor, lets hear it

Monday, November 12, 2007 10:34 PM
Seriously though, I don't know what's wrong with it... Somebody enlighten me please? :\

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:14 AM
usually when you stroke an engine, it turns out being more compression, from the longer stroke. higher compression engines are usually better suited for N/A or nitrous.

when you see guys building turbo specific engines, you run a lower compression piston. part of its a detonation thing. even the ecotec that was in the opel speedster was DEstroked from 2.2 to 2.0 when boost is added from the factory. shorter stroke setups also help keep the revs quicker/higher and in the powerband easier.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:16 PM
Ah okay. I knew about lower compression being safer for boost, just not that a stroked engine would end up being higher compression... although now that I think about it it makes a lot of sense, lol. Thanks.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 9:25 AM
lower compression is only "safer" not better for making power, hence they do this from factory, to retain some level of hey my motor will live for 100k. lets not tell people to not boost hi-comp motors unless we want no progress. when i build my motor u better believe im not doin 8.9 or 9:1 comp, im lookin to shoot a bit higher.

a stroked motor would love boost... that is if u like making some mean a$$ power

Thursday, November 22, 2007 9:47 AM
Funky Bottoms (Event) wrote:usually when you stroke an engine, it turns out being more compression, from the longer stroke. higher compression engines are usually better suited for N/A or nitrous.

Remove nitrous from the equation with high compression gasoline engine.

Quote:

when you see guys building turbo specific engines, you run a lower compression piston. part of its a detonation thing. even the ecotec that was in the opel speedster was DEstroked from 2.2 to 2.0 when boost is added from the factory. shorter stroke setups also help keep the revs quicker/higher and in the powerband easier.

Those two engines are totally different design platforms, therefore there was no destroke.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search