What year of motor is in my cavy????? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What year of motor is in my cavy?????
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 1:53 AM
I have a 96 cavy that has a newer 2.4 in it but am not sure of the year! I do not believe the car is an original z24 either, also need help on this one! Where can I go to find out what year it is. I just bought it and it doesnt run so I am trying to make sure the pcm is correct and all that good stuff. I think the motor is out of a 99 or 2000. If anyone could help that would be great!!!! Thanks

Re: What year of motor is in my cavy?????
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:20 AM
Do oyu have an EGR valve? If not than its 99+.
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:49 AM
The guy can't figure out if his car is an original Z24 or a base cav with a 2.4, I'm pretty sure he won't know what/where his EGR Valve might be...
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:41 AM
check the vin, that will tell you if it came with a 2.4 or not.

then as stated check for EGR, that will tell you what year group the motor is from .
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:44 AM
ways to tell if its a Z:

the seats and the door panel fabric inserts should have a red speckle in them.
the dimmer panel (it has the switch to turn on the dome light and dim the dash lights etc) if theres another switch there, thats for the fog lights, also look in the lower portion of the front bumper, it should have the fog lights down there.
there should ground effects, and lower hanging front and rear bumpers

and on the VIN if the 5th digit is either F or H.

as for the engine, the 96-99.5 2.4's DO have the EGR valve, 99.5-02 DON'T have it. what your looking for will be off to the left of your power steering pump... it will have a sensor plugged into the top of it, its round-maybe 2 inches in diamter, top is plastic and bottom is aluminum if i remember correctly. it will be sitting on a cast iron 'plate' thats bolted directly to the head.

and of course, you post pics of the car and we can tell you exactly what you have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:45 AM

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:21 AM
^^^^ my god... you forgot the most obviouse way to tell if it's a Z24.......... it will say Z24 on the side of the car

As far as the engine goes.... I always just look at the injectors to see if it's the older or newer 2.4 (that is after I glance at the oil fill cap to see if it's actually a 2.3 or not).

Thursday, November 22, 2007 6:30 PM
Well I do know what a egr valve is! I was looking for the VIN info stuff to tell me because It has different stuff on it not original! It does not have all the ground effects and it has a 99 front clip and apparently from what the guy told me that I bought it from it has a 2000 motor in it. So knowing all this changing stuff on it I didnt know for sure if someone was just trying to make it into a z24. I had a 98 in the past and am not stupid! Just trying to figure some factual info that would tell me 100% It does not have a egr but the pcm is from a 96. I am not getting any spark currently and trying to figure out why! So if anyone can help me thanks!!!
Thursday, November 22, 2007 7:09 PM
For the car- check the 8th digit of the VIN number- if it supposed to have a 2.4 it will be a "T" if it should have a 2.2 it should be a "4" (IIRC)
I'm curious how you decided it has no spark. Is there injector pulse?- either way i dont have enough info to help you much
Front clip was the same from 95-99, and apparently he wasnt trying to make it a Z24 if it doesnt have ground effects- yes i know these are irrelevant points

_

Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Friday, November 23, 2007 3:17 AM
Ok, I checked the VIN and it has a " T " for the eighth digit! How do I check injector pulse? I pulled the top piece off that has the coils and boots of and grounded the cover itself and tried to jump spark from the pin that the boot covers to another ground and there was nothing. Is there another way that I can check for spark or check to make sure that the coils and the other box that the coils connect to are good?
Thanks
Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:15 AM
If you have an ECM for a 96 and a 2000+ engine... the car wont run..... and there is always the possibility that the EGR could have been removed also (that is if it came with one) If you where able to post a pic of the engine with closeups of where the egr should be and what the injectors look like... we could tell ya for sure.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search