how the 2.4l was designed - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how the 2.4l was designed
Friday, November 16, 2007 7:52 AM
i know its one of the worst gm motors but with the right upgrades it is a good motor how did gm design this motor

Re: how the 2.4l was designed
Friday, November 16, 2007 7:56 AM
kalyn appleby wrote:i know its one of the worst gm motors but with the right upgrades it is a good motor how did gm design this motor

Not sure that you can say it is one of the worsr GM motors or not. Does it have it's flaws? Yes, but doesn't every motor.

FU Tuning

Friday, November 16, 2007 7:59 AM
yes but i would say its probably the most poorly built gm motor
Friday, November 16, 2007 8:01 AM
haha...you haven't seen a bad motor. I'd say the 3100 SFI was a worse design. Back in the 80's that had displacement on demand that didn't work worth a crap. Maybe thet engine should be the worst...I seen many 2.4's go 150k+ no problems...can't call anything that reliable a bad design.

Friday, November 16, 2007 8:02 AM
Ask these two guys-

Friday, November 16, 2007 8:11 AM
You do realise that the first engine in the "Quad" family was built a far bit before you were born right????

The Quad family is one of the better engines as far as I am concerned. Just have to not be retard when you own one or work on one.

Friday, November 16, 2007 8:13 AM
kalyn appleby wrote:i know its one of the worst gm motors but with the right upgrades it is a good motor how did gm design this motor

you sound like you need an education

my LD9 is at 176,000 miles, stock EVERYTHING, and has been running 5-6 PSI for a while now, and 13 passes down the drag strip

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, November 16, 2007 8:52 AM
I'm on my third 2.4l and don't have one complaint, never had a major issue, and don't see one coming.

I think the main thing people overlook is proper maintenance.

The supercharged '01 saw a bit of track time, a lot of abuse on the street, and never once failed me. Same with my '97, back in it's rice days the previous owner had a kill list of a quite a few cars, showing it's been beaten on quite a bit. Nice flush, some Mobil1 and she still runs beautiful. Even survived the trek from the other side of the state back home with a faulty TPS sensor.

Friday, November 16, 2007 9:12 AM
u want bad motor, drive a 1990 DSM. garuntee you'll be fixing it 2-3 times a month before you'll even think about power adders.

Friday, November 16, 2007 9:32 AM
^^^^ LOL no @!#$.

133K now, stock motor (yes water pump too) bosted sence 30K

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Friday, November 16, 2007 9:42 AM
Well i was actually very impressed with mine. Had 240k (km) on it, worked flawlessly as a daily driver for years. It took the abuse of 15PSI from my supercharger for a year (2000km or so) and still ran sell when i parked it for this winter. For all the complaining i hear from people about this motor i am going to have to assume there are a lot of people who dont understand proper maintenance or just don't keep up with it.

_

Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's

Friday, November 16, 2007 10:22 AM
Have you ever heard of the Iron Duke??? 2.5 4 cyl that came in fieros and other cars, terrible engine, If you push it past like 120 hp it will fall apart, comes standard with a whopping 94-98 hp or so. Now the super duty 2.5 is a different story...
Friday, November 16, 2007 10:30 AM
if you keep those 2.5 dukes stock, they last forever though

1997 RedR - ZedR
Friday, November 16, 2007 10:59 AM
ok well going by experience i had a 2.4 ld9 and it spun the #3 rod bearing then went through the block but anyways i guess they only really down fall to the ld9 is the oil pump but i don't have to worry about that anymore on my new motor i replaced it with a 2.4 high pressure but yeah back onto topic how it was designed
Friday, November 16, 2007 11:04 AM
[ion wrote: C2]

you sound like you need an education

my LD9 is at 176,000 miles, stock EVERYTHING, and has been running 5-6 PSI for a while now, and 13 passes down the drag strip

Thats a joke, right? lol..... Thats less than me and the Skwirl used to do per WEEK, EVERY week, for about a year lol......

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, November 16, 2007 11:06 AM
2.4 high pressure pump ?????

Friday, November 16, 2007 1:57 PM
2.4L has it's flaws. mine blew up on the highway on tuesday. full oil "i checked the night before" and a full tank of gas. every thig was running fine then the next thing i know i am at a sunoco with a trail of oil behind my car and a rod knocking to get out. it is simple the 2.4 will hold it's own but it's got it's flaws.

Friday, November 16, 2007 2:13 PM
Paul Tjepkes (N/A MADNESS) wrote:2.4 high pressure pump ?????

To the original poster me and paul are both curious what pump you are using.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Friday, November 16, 2007 2:16 PM
The oiling system does seem to be a problem for the 2.4 However most of us fix that by doing a 2.3L oil pump swap.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Friday, November 16, 2007 2:32 PM
ive had over 200 passes down the 1/4 strip on nitrous before i blew an engine. i was using the nitrous just about every friday too at the drags. i knew i was on limited time as far as the engine lasting with as much as i was abusing it. the 2.4 has its issues but what engine doesnt?

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, November 16, 2007 4:08 PM
NightmaresCavy wrote:2.4L has it's flaws. mine blew up on the highway on tuesday. full oil "i checked the night before" and a full tank of gas. every thig was running fine then the next thing i know i am at a sunoco with a trail of oil behind my car and a rod knocking to get out. it is simple the 2.4 will hold it's own but it's got it's flaws.

whaaaa??? i thought it was due to a gone-bad oil pressure sensor? ive personally seen the effects of a bad one, the oil goes right through it at high pressure and SPEWS out, you can lose 3 quarts in a matter of minutes. that has NOTHING to do with the design of the engine-it was a sensor that went bad, but just so happened to be one that would kill the motor.

in my personal opinion, it wasnt the 2.4 that was a problematic engine, it was the 2.3 HO. thats a common myth with mechanics all over the place. although i certainly had my issues with a 2.4 back in the day, but that was because the previous owner sprayed god knows how much nitrous through it and on top of that there wasnt a day that went by when i drove that bastard that it didnt see the redline at least once.

its also my opinion that the 5speed car's go through ld9's more, ive beaten the piss out of my white car and its an auto and it hasnt blown YET. my buddy's 01 grand am with 140,000 miles on it gets it fair share of abuse as well and its doing just fine, but its also an auto.

wade and paul- JBP has a high flow 2.4 oil pump.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 16, 2007 4:11 PM

Friday, November 16, 2007 4:38 PM
Quote:

yes but i would say its probably the most poorly built gm motor

ever seen a quad OHC ???!! find one that doesnt have a head that isnt split in half lol

Friday, November 16, 2007 5:02 PM
The 2.3 went through many, many head gaskets in the first few years. It took a while for GM to get that right.

The 2.5 when it had timing gears instead of a chain had a fiber cam gear. It would be ok for about 100k but as the gear wore it would begin to sound like a rod knock. If you didn't fix it soon, the teeth would break and leave ya stranded. Those engines always seemed to need some type of work.

The 2.8 carburetted engine was about the most gutless thing ever released by GM, short of the 1.6l Isuzu diesel in the Chevette. Before they installed the 1 piece rear main and redesigned the heads, those engines would leak oil while still under warranty.

The early 1.8 and 2.0 OHV engines with the aluminum head rarely seemed to make it past 100k miles and when they did, they were often very tired.

The Caddy 4-6-8 was a great engineering excercise, but the power transitions weren't smooth enough and people complained. Then when the engines had trouble the techs didn't want to work on 'em. Poor thing was doomed.

I think the 5.7 diesel engine, an Oldsmobile powerplant converted from gasoline, wins my vote for worst GM engine ever. But the 4.3 V6 diesel is a close second. Both of these engines had trouble with heads and lots of damage caused by vibration.

What is funny is that with most GM engines, about the time they get the bugs worked out they put the engine through a major design revision and have to start all over again.

-->Slow
Friday, November 16, 2007 6:03 PM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:
Thats a joke, right? lol..... Thats less than me and the Skwirl used to do per WEEK, EVERY week, for about a year lol......

No, I tend not to want to spend money in gas and fees just to race every week. I only go when something on my car changes. First time I went I made 8 passes, second two times it was packed as hell. Believe me, I've made exponentially more passes non-track... this engine is pretty damn good.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, November 16, 2007 6:35 PM

Probably started out with one of those headaches with pictures... you know, a thought...

Then I'm sure it progressed from there to paper, and somewhere along the way somebody made a prototype. After that the rest is history.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search