Lightweight Alternator Pulley Installation - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lightweight Alternator Pulley Installation
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:14 AM
How did you guys do it?

What tools were used?

Tips?

Re: Lightweight Alternator Pulley Installation
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:02 AM
Most used an impact, and took the alternator off the motor. Some used a T-55 Torx socket, and a 15/16" open end wrench...Not 100% sure on wrench size.

Added....The later is what I used, but was a PAIN in the ass to get the nut off that held on the pulley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:04 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:28 AM
i dont recomend doing it in the car...

its not that hard to get the alt. out of an N/A car (but you u have a sc....) so im sure its going to be a nightmare to get the alternator out of the car, but once you do its literally a 5 minute job to get the pulleys swapped.

when i swapped from my aem back to the stocker it took a 3 foot long wrench and a 3 foot long pipe to get the damn thing loose and it had only been on there for a week.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:43 AM
Get one of these (or something similar) to hold the pulley

and an impact and the nut comes off real easy...

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:49 AM
Old man, I never thought of using one of those.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:58 AM
When you've been around as long as I have,blah,blah,blah

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:48 AM
i take a rag put it around the pulley , grad the pulley in 1 hand , and impact in the other

hit the trigger and ZING off it comes

rag is just to keep the pulley from eating up your hand , i dont always use a rag just a bare hand

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:40 PM
if you don't have a strap wrench you can always cut an old drive belt and wrap it around the pulley, wrap the other end around something solid (i used the handle for the bench vise i had the alt sitting in) and use a wrench, rachet or impact to losen the nut. thats what i did to mine

Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:24 AM
I just did mine a few days ago, finally!

Easy as pie. I don't know if all alternators are like this, but mine had a torx head on the shaft so I was done in about 5 minutes.

First, I loosened the belt. Didn't remove it. Just used my ratcheting belt wrench to loosen the tensioner and put a cloth against the car and let it rest there.

Then I put the box head of a wrench over the nut on the alternator pulley.

Then I put a torx socket on a wratchet and put that through the middle of the wrench, slightly offset.

I squeezed the handle of the wrench and the handle of the ratchet and the nut came loose.

Took off the nut and swapped the pulleys. They should come off and go on easily. If it doesn't go on easily, then it might be the wrong size. -MD- LD9 replaced mine ages ago as the first one I had didn't fit. The new one is perfect.

With the new one on, use the same method to put the nut back on. Just offset the two handles and squeeze them together.

Took off the belt wrench, and was done.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:59 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:I just did mine a few days ago, finally!

Easy as pie. I don't know if all alternators are like this, but mine had a torx head on the shaft so I was done in about 5 minutes.

First, I loosened the belt. Didn't remove it. Just used my ratcheting belt wrench to loosen the tensioner and put a cloth against the car and let it rest there.

Then I put the box head of a wrench over the nut on the alternator pulley.

Then I put a torx socket on a wratchet and put that through the middle of the wrench, slightly offset.

I squeezed the handle of the wrench and the handle of the ratchet and the nut came loose.

Took off the nut and swapped the pulleys. They should come off and go on easily. If it doesn't go on easily, then it might be the wrong size. -MD- LD9 replaced mine ages ago as the first one I had didn't fit. The new one is perfect.

With the new one on, use the same method to put the nut back on. Just offset the two handles and squeeze them together.

Took off the belt wrench, and was done.

Kevin...LONG time no see buddy. Yes, I did re-bore about half of the first batch. 15ish pulleys. Jedi has one of the second batch, and is the same size as your first re-bored one. It has only been about what.....a year. At least you take your time.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:39 AM
heh. Yeah, the car's not being driven right now so I haven't paid it any attention.

The weather was nice over the weekend and I had some spare time, and the pulley was just sitting there, so I figured it was a good time to play under the hood.

I still haven't put the crank pulley on. Maybe in the spring.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:41 PM
I have an original alt pulley for MD-LD9 are you saying it won't fit? I am planning on putting it on when I swap to secret cams thanksgiving or winter break.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:59 PM
No, not saying it will not fit. But the tolerance was opened .002" to insure it fit ALL alternators.

Background....
It was found that the one brand of alternators were/are .001" bigger than ALL the rest. The bore now is the EXACT same bore as the AEM pulleys. AEM had the same problem and has two versions out there, and no longer makes the smaller version.

If it doesn't fit, I would gladly ream it to the proper diameter. " I still have the reamer here with me at work. Takes no more than 5 minutes to re-ream it. Just send it this way, and I'll send it back. I just made them the .002" bigger.

Email me, call me, PM me what ever.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:52 PM
Sounds good. I will let you know if I have problems

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Monday, November 19, 2007 8:08 AM
You'll know right away if it fits or not. You can see how smoothly the stock one slides off. If you can't for the life of you get the new one on and are starting to think about ways to smack it with a hammer... then it doesn't fit.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search